Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Cameron Resign? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Cameron resign?
    Yes, Cameron should resign
    40.59%
    No, Cameron shouldn't resign
    49.50%
    Don't know enough facts or don't care
    9.90%

ReputationRep:
    No this isn't a resignation issue. He's not done anything illegal or corrupt.

It's an embarassment issue and a credibility issue not a resignation issue. He should have just been upfront about things from the start and this would have blown over. The worst that could could have happened from this is that people think of him as part of an out of touch privileged elite, but that's what people think anyway, so it's not really a blow.

This is a good example about how the "Downing Street machine" backfires, with their constant attempt to media manage and "shut down a story". They end up making it look like there is more to hide than there is, and this is the longer term problem for Cameron from this. The general public aren't thinking Cameron should resign but they might go away from this thinking there is something a bit murky about Cameron's personal affairs.

I think Cameron is starting to slip in to "lame duck" Prime Minister earlier than expected. When he said he wasn't going to run as leader in 2020 there was always going to be a time when he became a lame duck and people looked towards next leaders, probably from 2018 onwards, but it has already happened - the media are already on to the story of Osborne v Johnson, there's talk about whether Cameron will stand down immediately after the referendum etc. The problem once this happens is it is hard to reverse it. Blair ran in to this problem ten years ago.

Cameron won't be forced to resign over this, but he is becoming increasingly irrelevant, and with the EU referendum coming up and Cameron wanting to use his personal credibility (which was in good shape after winning the election last year) to drive home a "remain" vote this is a problem for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    adam9317, could you add a poll? If so, make sure to include a 'don't know enough to say' option. :holmes:
    Good idea my friend.

Poll added

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Your aware that until March the polls indicated an even larger Tory majority. While i do support repealing the fixed terms parliament act if we have it in late 2016 after the EU referendum and this has blown over then you guys could really have shot yourselves in the foot.

Can you also inform us which promises surrounding education and health the Tories have reneged on?
    You appear to be assuming that I agree with/have signed the petition when actually I said no such thing, I merely linked it and asked for opinions.

ReputationRep:
    He was voted in by the British people. He won the election, fair and square. So definitely no, he should not resign.

He has not actually done anything illegal (if you're talking about the whole Panama papers news), so isn't obligated to resign.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Leanney)
    You appear to be assuming that I agree with/have signed the petition when actually I said no such thing, I merely linked it and asked for opinions.
    Fair enough then.

This is one problem with the petition system though i feel. Much like the referenda it allows people with little to no knowledge to push their opinion. If you'd have asked the Tories last December whether they'd like an election in 2016 i suspect they'd have given an emphatic yes.

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    No this isn't a resignation issue. He's not done anything illegal or corrupt.

It's an embarassment issue and a credibility issue not a resignation issue. He should have just been upfront about things from the start and this would have blown over. The worst that could could have happened from this is that people think of him as part of an out of touch privileged elite, but that's what people think anyway, so it's not really a blow.

This is a good example about how the "Downing Street machine" backfires, with their constant attempt to media manage and "shut down a story". They end up making it look like there is more to hide than there is, and this is the longer term problem for Cameron from this. The general public aren't thinking Cameron should resign but they might go away from this thinking there is something a bit murky about Cameron's personal affairs.

I think Cameron is starting to slip in to "lame duck" Prime Minister earlier than expected. When he said he wasn't going to run as leader in 2020 there was always going to be a time when he became a lame duck and people looked towards next leaders, probably from 2018 onwards, but it has already happened - the media are already on to the story of Osborne v Johnson, there's talk about whether Cameron will stand down immediately after the referendum etc. The problem once this happens is it is hard to reverse it. Blair ran in to this problem ten years ago.

Cameron won't be forced to resign over this, but he is becoming increasingly irrelevant, and with the EU referendum coming up and Cameron wanting to use his personal credibility (which was in good shape after winning the election last year) to drive home a "remain" vote this is a problem for him.
    I'm not sure he's at the lame duck stage yet (his opinion is still important even if the media are getting ahead of themselves) but certainly the EU and Tory leadership battles have blended into one and it's interesting how in the space of two months, Osbourne and Javid have probably screwed themselves out of the running should a leave vote force the issue early.

As much as i dislike her politics, i think that May has played a blinder and will certainly be one of the two in the run-off. She's backed the winner while being vocally critic so it won't cost her and she's sat back quietly while her opponents have damaged themselves. With little home department related news she also maintains her perception of competence . Boris has not done himself too much damage but he came across as opportunistic rather than genuine by backing leave (a stronger leader than Cameron would sack him after the referendum) and won't necessarily have strengthened his standing with the skeptic MP's since Gove and IDS seem to be flabour of the month.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough then.

This is one problem with the petition system though i feel. Much like the referenda it allows people with little to no knowledge to push their opinion. If you'd have asked the Tories last December whether they'd like an election in 2016 i suspect they'd have given an emphatic yes.
    I agree, and this is one of the reasons that I think political knowledge needs to be introduced non-biasedly in secondary schools. When I was 18 I had little to no knowledge of politics and have had to teach myself the basics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by deta18dy)
    was being sarcastic
    Difficult to tell we so many people being moronic over it and a lack of people so far in the thread saying yes.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122946 - This petition has over 100,000 signatures now so will be considered for a debate. What do you guys think will happen? I mean even if they do debate it (which is quite unlikely) not sure what the outcome would be considering it's a majority conservative goverment, most of whom really like Cameron.
    Same as the Trump one, it will be a small debate that nobody cares about in a committee and there will be no vote and they will all leave the room thinking "why do those idiots out there actually waste our time with this crap?"

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure he's at the lame duck stage yet (his opinion is still important even if the media are getting ahead of themselves) but certainly the EU and Tory leadership battles have blended into one and it's interesting how in the space of two months, Osbourne and Javid have probably screwed themselves out of the running should a leave vote force the issue early.
    Yeah I agree but I think Cameron's starting to become lame duck within the Conservative party. I don't think he commands that much authority in the party, which is the problem Major got in to. There are a lot of Conservative MPs or "anonymous senior Tories" speaking liberally to the media at the moment and giving journalists copy.

Osborne has really slipped down the pecking order, possibly fatally now. He has made a lot of enemies in the party.

The problem Javid is having is showing that he can really deliver. He's talked a good game in terms of talking about ideology and getting the mantle of being the biggest Thatcherite in Cabinet, but he's not really done anything of note. Now he's under pressure with the steel crisis and I don't think he'll come out of it well. He's only going to get support from the right of the party but his Europe position has lost him credibility.

As much as i dislike her politics, i think that May has played a blinder and will certainly be one of the two in the run-off. She's backed the winner while being vocally critic so it won't cost her and she's sat back quietly while her opponents have damaged themselves. With little home department related news she also maintains her perception of competence . Boris has not done himself too much damage but he came across as opportunistic rather than genuine by backing leave (a stronger leader than Cameron would sack him after the referendum) and won't necessarily have strengthened his standing with the skeptic MP's since Gove and IDS seem to be flabour of the month.
    I agree I think May's position is quietly strengthening. She also has the presentational advantage of not looking like a Bullingdon boy who wants to make jokes when the country faces major problems (ie Cameron, Osborne, Johnson). She looks serious minded, fair minded and tough, which appeals to a lot of Tory voters.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody serious has called for him to resign. He sold shares in a dodgy company, he didn't actively hide money hiself like the Iceland PM.

He won't and he certainly should not for this.

He'll step down in the summer of 2018 with his approval ratings broadly intact at around 40% i feel.
    Just out of interest, as I'm guessing you're broadly conservative - if Cameron steps down before the next election as PM, do you think his successor should call an early general election? Cameron said "Gordon Brown doesn't have the mandate, he wasn't elected as prime minister, and he should go to the country" when Blair stepped down, and while there are 5 year terms, these can easily be circumvented with a vote of no confidence that the opposition would of course eagerly vote for.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst he won't resign over this specifically, I could definitely see him leaving if we leave the EU. He's simply got too much going against him now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Just out of interest, as I'm guessing you're broadly conservative - if Cameron steps down before the next election as PM, do you think his successor should call an early general election? Cameron said "Gordon Brown doesn't have the mandate, he wasn't elected as prime minister, and he should go to the country" when Blair stepped down, and while there are 5 year terms, these can easily be circumvented with a vote of no confidence that the opposition would of course eagerly vote for.
    They won't have the votes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    If we assume that th new leader is announced at conference in September 2018 then provided they are from the cabinet (so well known) and have approval levels of 40%+ then yes, i'd certainly call an election a year early if Corbyn is still leader. I expect Corbyn to be knifed in the summer of 2017 though.

No need for a VoNC, if the new Tory leader goes to the country offering them a chance to give him a mandate then Labour will have to back an election (55% of MP's needed) otherwise the Tories will hammer them for being undemocratic. Or more likely Labour would simply not turn up to oppose that vote so it would pass 331-0.

ReputationRep:
    If we assume that th new leader is announced at conference in September 2018 then provided they are from the cabinet (so well known) and have approval levels of 40%+ then yes, i'd certainly call an election a year early if Corbyn is still leader. I expect Corbyn to be knifed in the summer of 2017 though.

No need for a VoNC, if the new Tory leader goes to the country offering them a chance to give him a mandate then Labour will have to back an election (55% of MP's needed) otherwise the Tories will hammer them for being undemocratic. Or more likely Labour would simply not turn up to oppose that vote so it would pass 331-0.
    Ah ok, it's interesting to hear from the viewpoint of a conservative on this matter. Being a Labour supporter I really hope Corbyn won't be leader by the time the next election occurs, be it 2018 or 2020, as I'm fairly sure any conservative leader could beat him in a general election, though I doubt the rest of the party members won't let him go until he's lost a general election, despite polling.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

For the second part, it would require the support of Labour as the early election has to be supported by two thirds of of the total membership of the house, including vacant seats, and not 55% of those who vote.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

If this is an error, it's in how it's been spun and you know what, that's the good kind of mistake, we've had enough of parties that know how to spin everything.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if he did resign? Would Osbourne take over, would there be a new vote within the Conservative party or would there be a whole new general election?

I'm not really a big fan of any of these outcomes tbh
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    What would happen if he did resign? Would Osbourne take over, would there be a new vote within the Conservative party or would there be a whole new general election?

I'm not really a big fan of any of these outcomes tbh
    Party leadership contest, not sure who would take acting leader, I would assume George but not certain.

ReputationRep:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122946 - This petition has over 100,000 signatures now so will be considered for a debate. What do you guys think will happen? I mean even if they do debate it (which is quite unlikely) not sure what the outcome would be considering it's a majority conservative goverment, most of whom really like Cameron.
    Like 5 people will turn up for debate and nothing will happen, like what usually happens with this petitions. Waste of time.

He should resign though. Not for profiting from dodgy companies, but for being a corrupt, devious, lying ****. His whole party should resign.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Like 5 people will turn up for debate and nothing will happen, like what usually happens with this petitions. Waste of time.

He should resign though. Not for profiting from dodgy companies, but for being a corrupt, devious, lying ****. His whole party should resign.
    Translation: he should resign because he does not conform to my views, rather those of his electors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Translation: he should resign because he does not conform to my views, rather those of his electors.
    Right, because being corrupt and lying is the same as not conforming to my views.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.