Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V961 - Agriculture and Fisheries Bill 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    53.33%
    On the contrary, No
    35.56%
    Abstain
    11.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except we do that on almost every bill, are you also proposing we skip the election because it won't consider political implications, I.e.1997 like swing to the Tories and UKIP from labour and the liberals

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course not, because the fact that we have our own elections overrides canon. I don't think we do that on almost every Bill, but if you see where we violate fundamental tenets of EU law in any Bill, I urge you to speak up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Of course not, because the fact that we have our own elections overrides canon. I don't think we do that on almost every Bill, but if you see where we violate fundamental tenets of EU law in any Bill, I urge you to speak up.
    Oh, so political implications means contravening what the EU wants and not implications of a political nature. What would have happened if the ATA had passed IRL? Riots on the street and a call for the government to resign, and the decimation of the government. The finance bill would also likely lead to a call for the government to step down, as it is the best we can do to emulate this is say "these guys want a £150bn deficit and to increase your council tax on average 8 fold"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Oh, so political implications means contravening what the EU wants and not implications of a political nature. What would have happened if the ATA had passed IRL? Riots on the street and a call for the government to resign, and the decimation of the government. The finance bill would also likely lead to a call for the government to step down, as it is the best we can do to emulate this is say "these guys want a £150bn deficit and to increase your council tax on average 8 fold"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You forget that many of the Tories' measures IRL actually did cause a similar response (ignoring the completely unrealistic elements). We have to consider the political implications, but it doesn't mean that we should just never do anything controversial. However, with this, the political implications are effectively leaving the EU, and IIRC it triggers trade sanctions from EU countries. Even if we don't say that this is in violation of the rule against ignoring referendum results (something I would actually like a ruling from the acting Speaker on), the fact should be noted prominently in debate.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Ayes to the right: 24
    Noes to the left: 16
    Abstain: 5

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it. Unlock.
    Turnout: 90%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.