Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting someone who already has kids... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend was telling me about a man she was dating. He had a daughter that was 14 and he would bring her on dates with them. -_-

Unless he was an amazing guy I don't think it is worth it.

Makes life more complicated than it needs to be.

Better to start from the beginning with a guy imo.

(Original post by Noodle0)
    That sh*t is like playing someone else's saved game.
    Haha I like this one !! It's so true.

(Original post by PangXie)
    Absolutely not, and I've previously backed off from a perfectly nice guy when he revealed he had two daughters. I don't want kids of my own and I don't want to make a shabby attempt at looking after someone else's either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's perfectly understandable. I wish my dad's girlfriend took this approach instead she spent years with a fake smile across her face whenever we were around. It was painful, but the feeling was mutual though we didn't like her either #RandomRant

ReputationRep:
    That's perfectly understandable. I wish my dad's girlfriend took this approach instead she spent years with a fake smile across her face whenever we were around. It was painful, but the feeling was mutual though we didn't like her either #RandomRant
    That's exactly what I worry about. I'm not good with kids, I would try my best to be warm towards them but I think my total lack of experience and maternal feeling would make it really awkward. I don't want to be a negative influence on a child's life, or put the guy in the middle because his kids don't warm to me. It's not fair on anyone involved.

I had always thought this, but then I saw it happen. My friend, who didn't want kids either, fell for a man with a ten year old daughter and ended up living with them. The daughter loathed her and never spoke to her (understandable with a new person coming into the house). It was really awkward for the dad, who didn't want to side with one against the other. I saw my worst fears about dating a guy with kids realised and I don't want to risk dragging myself and a family into that situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I knew a girl who was dating a guy who had a child. She would always come second best. Dates were cancelled because the kid had to get picked up from somewhere, or the kid felt sick, or whatever. You will always come second best.

I would never date a man with children.

(Original post by stargirl63)
    I knew a girl who was dating a guy who had a child. She would always come second best. Dates were cancelled because the kid had to get picked up from somewhere, or the kid felt sick, or whatever. You will always come second best.
    I hate the thought of being second best.

Ok he keeps trying to ask me out on dates. I have managed to dodge it the first few times since I finish work late most days. However now its time I just be honest so what do I say?????? Why does a part of me feel bad? I spoke to my friend who is a dad about it earlier and now I feel a bit indifferent about it now.

ReputationRep:
    Ok he keeps trying to ask me out on dates. I have managed to dodge it the first few times since I finish work late most days. However now its time I just be honest so what do I say?????? Why does a part of me feel bad? I spoke to my friend who is a dad about it earlier and now I feel a bit indifferent about it now.
    Personally I'd say you're sorry but you're interested in someone else. No point telling him it's because of something he can't change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Say you're interested in someone else, you're seeing someone else, you're not in a position to meet anyone etc etc. Block him even?

It's hard to step into that responsibility as well. Not to mention the constant contact with the mother.

There's plenty of nice guys out there who don't have baggage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.