The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When you graduate from uni, the job will be mixed gender. Uni is mixed gender. What is the point in even going uni?
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
That's a great idea, thanks :smile:

Do you think that will be enough to cover the costs of university?

No worries :smile:

Tbh I don't think it'll cover the whole cost, but if you have family/friends to help pay as well or any savings or whatever, then I think you can do it!
Original post by Squishy•
Student loans don't require interest I'm pretty sure, that's why they're student loans. If they do then oh maaaaaaaan

They do... :frown:

Laughed at this post for a while.

Anyho - work is work, and working with men isn't haram - keep the relationships strictly business if you're that scared

I'd do it if I had to, but I would not be comfortable with it

Original post by alldayniqqa
No it won't. You have to pay for a year upfront so unless you can get the mosque you work at to pay you 9k before you start uni, I doubt it.

Perhaps I could take a gap year then

Thanks, I'll have a read :smile:
They do... :frown:

I'd do it if I had to, but I would not be comfortable with it

Perhaps I could take a gap year then

Thanks, I'll have a read :smile:

Are you planning on studying medicine or biomed by any chance?
Original post by Butternuts96
Salaam,

Recently Shaykh Haitham Al-Haddad in London spoke about the permissability of SFE student loans on the principle that Islam does not recognise it as interest in our definition of it. This kind of loan is unique as it does not have to be paid until you make a profit (until you make a decent amount of money) so don't worry about it and go for the tuition fee (not the maintenance one).

Should be all good!

In terms of a job, depends if you're a male or female (as male's are obligated to feed the family). Visitor message me on my page if you want further advice on that.

I'm not entirely convinced, but I'll have a think. thanks :smile:

Original post by HAnwar
No worries :smile:

Tbh I don't think it'll cover the whole cost, but if you have family/friends to help pay as well or any savings or whatever, then I think you can do it!

Well my bank give loans to students up to 1500 interest free for 3 years
Student loans don't require interest I'm pretty sure, that's why they're student loans. If they do then oh maaaaaaaan

Yes they do :facepalm: :laugh:
Reply 27
At the end you probably won't pay all of it anyway (since its written off after a certain period if unpaid) so you may not be paying back more than you borrowed?
http://www.alrayanbank.co.uk/
Apparently this is halal loan interest thing.
Original post by alldayniqqa
Are you planning on studying medicine or biomed by any chance?

Yes, medical biochemistry

The religion of peace and tolerance, here to enslave women and blow up children

Where have I said I'm going to blow up children? :s-smilie:
Reply 30
First Hallal sandwiches, now Hallal loans. What's next? Hallal cars and shoes?
Reply 31
I'm not entirely convinced, but I'll have a think. thanks :smile:

Just to note, afaik Sheikh Haitham is the only one I know that says loans are permissible.

Np. May Allah make your situation easy :smile:
Original post by Josb

Halal*
Original post by HAnwar
Just to note, afaik Sheikh Haitham is the only one I know that says loans are permissible.

Np. May Allah make your situation easy :smile:

I've applied for maintenance loan. Had no choice and it's only 2 thousand something pound .

Flipping heck why do they have interest
As-Salamualaykum,

I am applying to uni next year, and I am also a Muslim. However I think you've got a few things mixed up. Firstly, there are banks where you can get halal loans, and for the sake of education I think a small amount of interest may be unavoidable and tolerable. Secondly, the government gives you a loan to cover all tuition fees and living costs, so you will not have to pay it off until you get a job after uni (you only start paying it once you start earning a minimum amount of £17,495 per year).

Finally, I can understand that you may be uncomfortable in a mixed gender group - however segregation is not Islamic, only cultural. In many places (especially the UK) many Muslims feel the need to segregate men and women, and this is completely acceptable if either party feels uncomfortable. However it is in no way a necessity in Islam! I for one am a Muslim who feels comfortable around both genders, and most places in the UK (besides mosques) will be mixed gender. There is absolutely nothing about this that is anti-Islamic.

Original post by Josb

Halal sandwiches simply require halal meat. Halal loans simply require no interest. I don't quite see where your problem is...?

The religion of peace and tolerance, here to enslave women and blow up children

I'm quite puzzled - could you enlighten me as to what part of Islam enslaves women and blows up children? I have been a Muslim all my life and read the whole Qur'an but have not come across any such teachings yet!

Original post by AperfectBalance
This is the reason why people think some Muslims cant integrate with modern society

Unfortunately, I have to agree - most of the world does, and always has been, multi-gender without segregation. I think it would be hard and unreasonable to ask for a segregated workplace.
Student loans (from government) are halal. they are not untrustworthy loan sharks, or high interest scammers. that the only loan that you could get im afraid.
if you want to study and live in the real world, you need to learn to be in mixed men and women situations.
You can lower your gaze and politely refuse to shake hands or contact men, but other than that you working intellectually with men is not haram.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes they do :facepalm: :laugh:

I've argued with u countless of times about Islam and uve shown ur hatred towards it so why are u on every thread involving Islam?
Loans by SFE accrue interest starting from the moment you take out the loan, so they aren't halal. I don't take any loans out, only bursaries; fortunately my parent pays my tuition fees.

Muslim parents should be able to pay for a studen'ts education if they plan and save early enough. In most Muslim countries, there are no student loans halal or otherwise: parents simply save up and pay for their child's tuition. It's worth mentioning that the tuition fees in some of these countries e.g. the UAE are comparable to the UK's. I also think it's unfair and unrealistic to expect a student on an entry-level job to be able to pay for university and that the parents, therefore, should bear most of the burden...

It isn't easy but needs to be done.
The government borrows money to pay for public services, so arguably you already have borrowed money.
I've argued with u countless of times about Islam and uve shown ur hatred towards it so why are u on every thread involving Islam?

Pointless distraction. I can comment on any thread I wish.

Latest