The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mochassassin
Guuuuys, I've been wanting to use .gifs for a while. Anyone think it'll ruin the writing and look too much like a Buzzfeed article? :redface:

In my humble opinion, I really like the writing style and it speaks for itself. I don't think the use of gifs would enhance the writing!
Guuuuys, I've been wanting to use .gifs for a while. Anyone think it'll ruin the writing and look too much like a Buzzfeed article? :redface:

:nah: not at all, I've seen plenty of blogs where gifs appear out of nowhere! :zomg:

Noooo DO IT it would be awesome !!
:jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive:
:jive: :jive: :jive: :jive:
:jive: :jive: :jive:
:jive: :jive:
:jive:
Oh no, so many contrasting opinions. :eek:
I'll stick with writing for now and see how it goes. Thank you, all!
Using gifs won't "ruin" the writing, no. I just don't think they're required? Your work is a v enjoyable read and I usually think gifs are inserted bc people believe it may provide more interaction with their audience but that isn't needed in this scenario bc it's already on a relate-able level...(if that makes sense, I don't know how to phrase it. >.< ) At the same time, I know from the past that your gif usage is pretty perfect and tbh, may v well enhance the quality of your blog.

In my opinion anyway. (':

Really liked your latest post, btw. :smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Using gifs won't "ruin" the writing, no. I just don't think they're required? Your work is a v enjoyable read and I usually think gifs are inserted bc people believe it may provide more interaction with their audience but that isn't needed in this scenario bc it's already on a relate-able level...(if that makes sense, I don't know how to phrase it. >.< ) At the same time, I know from the past that your gif usage is pretty perfect and tbh, may v well enhance the quality of your blog.

In my opinion anyway. (':

Really liked your latest post, btw. :smile:

Oooh, thank you for your input on the matter, Nonny! :biggrin:
I'll defo stick with just text now and leave .gifs until I'm struggling for material.
Thanks for reading! :smile:
I'm actually in to watch this!

I can tell you that life is a pendulum and it will work in your favour soon :smile: :hugs:
Reply 27
Maybe it's bc I haz a giant headache rn but I almost had a brain aneurysm reading that :lol:
it moves so fast! just feedback
but I like your writing style, you should totally write!

Nah gifs would be cool! just don't over do it :wink: :tongue:
Oooh, thank you for your input on the matter, Nonny! :biggrin:
I'll defo stick with just text now and leave .gifs until I'm struggling for material.
Thanks for reading! :smile:

That's okay! <3

Ah yes, that sounds like a good idea. :smile:

Can't wait for your next one. :hugs:
III
"How old are you now?"
"Old enough to get married, right?"
"Now that she's married, is it you next?"
"When's your wedding?"
"Have you started looking for suitable grooms yet?"
"Do you already have anyone in mind?"
"Are you finishing uni soon so you can get married?"
"Start taking notes from *insert name's* wedding, the decor is nice! Any ideas for yours?"
"Her dress is lovely, do you want to wear something like that at your wedding?"

Too many questions.
Too little time to evade them.
Too many fake smiles.
Too little immaturity to scowl.

Don't get me wrong - the wedding today was a beautiful event. My friend (the bride) looked absolutely stunning in a plum/white lehenga with a heavily-embellished train that followed her petite figure everywhere. The colour coordination of everything was just flawless. But aesthetics aside, it was an emotional rOlLeRcOaStEr. My mum was bawling her eyes out and clutching onto the bride like it was her own daughter she was giving away.

Maybe she did picture me in her place because here's the scary part:
I AM NEXT.
(I am not affiliated with Next PLC but wouldn't that make for an empowering ad campaign for a new clothing range? No? Okay. :getmecoat:)

The Bengali community where I live isn't big. All the eligible girls are now happily married. The younger girls have a good few years before they get pestered about this stuff. It's as annoying as it is scary because I'm so conflicted.

1) On the one hand, I'm not ready:
a) It's so comfortable being in the bubble of education just to evade this whole marriage business - masters/PhD gives me more time to think about what I want.
b) My issues with religion is something I haven't yet discussed with my parents.

2) On the other hand, I am ready because:
a) I'm sick of studying/essays/exams/lectures/seminars. I've hated university for a while now.
b) If I had the right guy in my life now (who also wanted to get married), I could see myself settling down and having children. I'm very mumsy.
Hey, I don't get motherzoned constantly for nothin'.
:u:

I know what you'll say...
"Do what makes you happy!", "it's your life!" bla bla bla, but both options have positive and negative outcomes.

Those questions up there were more suffocating than the horrendously tight collar on my sari blouse I wore on the henna night two nights earlier.
No, seriously, it was so tight, I grew a triple chin instantly. I should really make a .gif to show you guys the transformation. It's like those annoying weight loss ads you see on the side of webpages.
Note: if you're sat there reading this like "omg, I see those ads all the time!", it's time to edumacate yourself about browsers and download Adblocker.
:colonhash:

tl;dr; what was supposed to be an enjoyable, carefree day of focusing on someone else's holy matrimony ended up being a ticking time bomb of me counting down the seconds until I went home.

*cue Ben Howard's 'The Fear' for a bit of dramatic flair because the lyrics are supposed to be encouraging and resolve my inner turmoil...and also because it's a great song.*

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Subbing since there's interesting stuff you've mentioned. A lot of which I can relate too ~_~
Note: if you're sat there reading this like "omg, I see those ads all the time!", it's time to edumacate yourself about browsers and download Adblocker.

:rofl:
Subbing! I love your writing style :love:
Original post by MrDystopia
Subbing since there's interesting stuff you've mentioned. A lot of which I can relate too ~_~

Awww, I hope you manage to find some form of comfort throughout this blog/journey! :hugs:

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Subbing! I love your writing style :love:

Thank you soooo much! :ahee:
Subbing!
Subbed. As it seems every other Bengali on TSR already has :rofl:

Pretty relatable! When I tell my Dad I don't intend to marry for at least another 10 years, if ever, he gives me a look that just screams 'You're so naive it's happening as soon as you have a good job' :colonhash:
III
"How old are you now?"
"Old enough to get married, right?"
"Now that she's married, is it you next?"
"When's your wedding?"
"Have you started looking for suitable grooms yet?"
"Do you already have anyone in mind?"
"Are you finishing uni soon so you can get married?"
"Start taking notes from *insert name's* wedding, the decor is nice! Any ideas for yours?"
"Her dress is lovely, do you want to wear something like that at your wedding?"

Too many questions.
Too little time to evade them.
Too many fake smiles.
Too little immaturity to scowl.

Don't get me wrong - the wedding today was a beautiful event. My friend (the bride) looked absolutely stunning in a plum/white lehenga with a heavily-embellished train that followed her petite figure everywhere. The colour coordination of everything was just flawless. But aesthetics aside, it was an emotional rOlLeRcOaStEr. My mum was bawling her eyes out and clutching onto the bride like it was her own daughter she was giving away.

Maybe she did picture me in her place because here's the scary part:
I AM NEXT.
(I am not affiliated with Next PLC but wouldn't that make for an empowering ad campaign for a new clothing range? No? Okay. :getmecoat:)

The Bengali community where I live isn't big. All the eligible girls are now happily married. The younger girls have a good few years before they get pestered about this stuff. It's as annoying as it is scary because I'm so conflicted.

1) On the one hand, I'm not ready:
a) It's so comfortable being in the bubble of education just to evade this whole marriage business - masters/PhD gives me more time to think about what I want.
b) My issues with religion is something I haven't yet discussed with my parents.

2) On the other hand, I am ready because:
a) I'm sick of studying/essays/exams/lectures/seminars. I've hated university for a while now.
b) If I had the right guy in my life now (who also wanted to get married), I could see myself settling down and having children. I'm very mumsy.
Hey, I don't get motherzoned constantly for nothin'.
:u:

I know what you'll say...
"Do what makes you happy!", "it's your life!" bla bla bla, but both options have positive and negative outcomes.

Those questions up there were more suffocating than the horrendously tight collar on my sari blouse I wore on the henna night two nights earlier.
No, seriously, it was so tight, I grew a triple chin instantly. I should really make a .gif to show you guys the transformation. It's like those annoying weight loss ads you see on the side of webpages.

tl;dr; what was supposed to be an enjoyable, carefree day of focusing on someone else's holy matrimony ended up being a ticking time bomb of me counting down the seconds until I went home.

*cue Ben Howard's 'The Fear' for a bit of dramatic flair because the lyrics are supposed to be encouraging and resolve my inner turmoil...and also because it's a great song.*

Spoiler

See because of my dad's side of the family (not even my dad as such!), I should have already found a wife, and a house at this stage. The idea that I did a PhD is baffling them, but I don't think that the conversation about my non-religious ways and the fact that I'm bi won't end to well :hide:

So yes, I know the feeling when you attend weddings :hugs:
Original post by Lawbringer
Subbing!

Thank you! :redface: :ahee:

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Subbed. As it seems every other Bengali on TSR already has :rofl:

Pretty relatable! When I tell my Dad I don't intend to marry for at least another 10 years, if ever, he gives me a look that just screams 'You're so naive it's happening as soon as you have a good job' :colonhash:

Lmaoooo, #BengiSquad is going strong. :dance:

Ugh, tell me about it! They're just waiting until:
a) a girl graduates
b) a guy graduates + gets a high-paying job.

Original post by Slowbro93
See because of my dad's side of the family (not even my dad as such!), I should have already found a wife, and a house at this stage. The idea that I did a PhD is baffling them, but I don't think that the conversation about my non-religious ways and the fact that I'm bi won't end to well :hide:

So yes, I know the feeling when you attend weddings :hugs:

Awww, Slowbroooo. :console:
I feel ya on the non-religious thing! I don't even want to begin to imagine how that conversation would go down...if anything's going down, it's me. 6 feet under. :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)

Hello. :sexface:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Subbed :bigsmile:

Latest