Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If the UK leaves the EU what would happen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Would the currency not change?
    ?

Considering that we don't use the euro, I'd go with no...

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know how being part of the EU affects us now then you probably won't even notice a difference. Ignorance is bliss maybe, but I know I'm unhappy with the ways things are now and an EU-future looks grim.

We are tied to a continent of weak-willed leaders who support unilateral European nuclear disarmament, unilateral green policies that damage only European economies while China builds a coal-powered electricity plant a week, who support uncontrolled mass immigration of economic migrants into Europe to the detriment of European society, who have some how allowed a supranational union of over 500 million people forming the world's largest economy to be pushed around and held to ransom by Turkey, a runt of a country barely on the cusp of developing nation status.

The continentals are too set in their ways, it's impossible for us to change the EU's course of action now, we need to jump ship before it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Would the currency not change?
    The UK will keep the Pound.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving won't change much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    ?

Considering that we don't use the euro, I'd go with no...
    I meant would the currency change*

ReputationRep:
    Effectively nothing would happen,

- we'd invoke article 50 and enter a two year continued protected trade deal (as we have at the moment) with the EU, in which time we'd negotiate our own deal
    -we'd immediately retian our seat at the WTO and so have the ability to make our own trade deals
    - There would be an immediate repatriation of powers to the UK parliament from Brussels

Over a period of time we will be able to opt out of regulations, stop paying membership fees etc

Effectively not much happens so theres nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Effectively nothing would happen,

- we'd invoke article 50 and enter a two year continued protected trade deal (as we have at the moment) with the EU, in which time we'd negotiate our own deal
    Actually, it could be much longer, as two years is a very, very short period in which to undo all the work of the EU. It takes years just to arrange simple free trade agreements.

-we'd immediately retian our seat at the WTO and so have the ability to make our own trade deals
    We already make our own trade deals.

Over a period of time we will be able to opt out of regulations, stop paying membership fees etc

Effectively not much happens so theres nothing to worry about
    Unless we join the EEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)
    We are tied to a continent of weak-willed leaders who support unilateral European nuclear disarmament,
    Cite? I haven't heard anything of France seeking to unilaterally disarm.

unilateral green policies that damage only European economies while China builds a coal-powered electricity plant a week,
    Oh, sure, let's just **** the planet over for a quick buck :rolleyes: in the long term, China is screwed precisely because of this short-sightedness.

who support uncontrolled mass immigration of economic migrants into Europe to the detriment of European society,
    *sigh* no, they don't.

who have some how allowed a supranational union of over 500 million people forming the world's largest economy to be pushed around and held to random by Turkey, a runt of a country barely on the cusp of developing nation status.
    What are you talking about?

Do you read the Mail, by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    I always find it amusing that so called 'eurosceptics' have the utmost belief that this incompetent and unfair EU that we get such a bad deal from will turn around and give us whatever we want post exit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    No more EU immigration?
    Yes, clearly, that's the UK's no1 problem. No more Swedes, Poles, Italians and Romanians!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Only if you're completely unrealistic we will get what we want if we vote out but there will be a punishment and that will be contributing to the eu budget. We will still save money but not the amounts the unrealistic think we will

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would there be a punishment? Neither side can have any interest in disrupting trade. If there are millions of jobs in the UK which depend on trade with Europe, there must be even more millions of jobs in other EU member states that depend on trade with the UK ... such is the trade surplus the EU has with the UK.

Any 'punishment' the EU metes out will just make it look ridiculously petty. Just how popular do you think the EU wants to be with European citizens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    Why would there be a punishment? Neither side can have any interest in disrupting trade. If there are millions of jobs in the UK which depend on trade with Europe, there must be even more millions of jobs in other EU member states that depend on trade with the UK ... such is the trade surplus the EU has with the UK.

Any 'punishment' the EU metes out will just make it look ridiculously petty. Just how popular do you think the EU wants to be with European citizens?
    Exactly. It won't change much.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have spent 3 years reading outdated law and my degree will be worthless. Apart from that, not a lot.

ReputationRep:

Look you can think what you like but there will be a punishment for leaving or many other countries would follow suit.

I'm not a remain voter I'm just realistic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look you can think what you like but there will be a punishment for leaving or many other countries would follow suit.

I'm not a remain voter I'm just realistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who has said there'll be a 'punishment'? If no one has, aren't you getting ahead of yourself? If many other countries follow suit it doesn't say much for the remain case. And if you're not a remain voter, are you a leave voter?

ReputationRep:
    Who has said there'll be a 'punishment'? If no one has, aren't you getting ahead of yourself? If many other countries follow suit it doesn't say much for the remain case. And if you're not a remain voter, are you a leave voter?
    Yes I'm a stone wall out voter and have been anti eu for years I also used to be a ukip member and they asked me to stand for a seat last year which was refused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only if you're completely unrealistic we will get what we want if we vote out but there will be a punishment and that will be contributing to the eu budget. We will still save money but not the amounts the unrealistic think we will

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd like to see the EU put forward a protectionist arrangement whereby preventing trade with the UK despite it being cheaper to import from here.

That would be very interesting for outsiders like the US and China. I think it would set an example of who can and can't be trusted to trade with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    I'd like to see the EU put forward a protectionist arrangement whereby preventing trade with the UK despite it being cheaper to import from here.

That would be very interesting for outsiders like the US and China. I think it would set an example of who can and can't be trusted to trade with.
    So you want to harm this country why?

Why would they stop trading with their biggest market?

Why would they stop trading when we buy more from them than we sell to them to the tune of 60 billion a year?

Oh yea how would they circumvent the world trade organisations rules?

Just as a start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Immigration will stop. UK is full. In the past 20-30 years British native people became minority in many places and schools.

ReputationRep:
    They would negotiate a trade deal, we would control eu migration like we do none eu migration, pay a bit less to the eu budget, be able to blame our government for anything in future as the eu wouldn't be responsible anymore and life would go on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Speculation. But even if we could negotiate a trade deal, every country that's ever done it had to follow EU regulation and allow free movement. We just shouldn't get a say in anything.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.