Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    I'm having trouble with arranging to visit universities. I plan to start in September 2017 and my first 2 choices are Brighton and Liverpool, while others include Manchester and Bournemouth. I just cannot get to any of the open days. My parents can't take me as they're too busy and none of my friends want to go. They're also a bit of a trek away so I'd probably have to stay overnight somewhere and I can't really do that by myself. The best I've got is a Brighton University Open Day at Hastings for all campus courses which I could go to while my dad stays in Tonbridge with my step mum but I'd have to go by myself. Would that look silly? As for my other choices like Liverpool and Manchester, if I can't go would that really matter? I am confident I would like them but I just need to clarify if they are a must? How else do I visit them?
    I live in Hastings and there's some uncertainty about whether the campus in town will even be staying open for much longer so don't put too much stock into that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble with arranging to visit universities. I plan to start in September 2017 and my first 2 choices are Brighton and Liverpool, while others include Manchester and Bournemouth. I just cannot get to any of the open days. My parents can't take me as they're too busy and none of my friends want to go. They're also a bit of a trek away so I'd probably have to stay overnight somewhere and I can't really do that by myself. The best I've got is a Brighton University Open Day at Hastings for all campus courses which I could go to while my dad stays in Tonbridge with my step mum but I'd have to go by myself. Would that look silly? As for my other choices like Liverpool and Manchester, if I can't go would that really matter? I am confident I would like them but I just need to clarify if they are a must? How else do I visit them?
    Hi GeorgeB,

I go to Bournemouth University and didn't visit on an open day either. I did travel down for the applicant day though which is very similar to an open day but more tailored to what you are planning to study. They usually have accomodation open during these days as well.

As someone said above if you did want to come to an open day at Bournemouth we have two more before the end of the year, one on 11th of June and another on 2nd July.

Also i've helped out at many open days this year and you'll be suprised with the amount of people that come by themselves. No one even bats an eye lid if you're alone, its completely fine.

Whatever you decide, I do recommend going to see a few universities before you start. When you're in a town or campus you can really get a feel for it, completely different from the images you see online.

Hope this helps.
    Gemma (Student ambassador)

ReputationRep:
    You're worrying that you'll look silly if you go solo? Not at all. I think applicants look much more daft if they take family members with them. This stage of your life is all about standing on your own two feet, taking responsibility and being independent. There'll be people your age setting off for solo backpacking trips to far flung places, so a day trip, or an overnight stay somewhere should be totally within your capability by this stage.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be afraid of being by yourself when you first start uni. After all your mum and dad aren't going to be there to hold your hand when you go to lectures??

ReputationRep:
    going alone won't be weird at all, most people will be with parents but if you can get to one and want to go I would go

as for attending open days generally, I don't think it's the most important thing in the world, if you have specific questions you can ask them via email, all you really see are the nicer parts of the university on the tour
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm being lazy by not replying to you all individually but thank you so much for the advice. I really want to visit Bournemouth and Brighton but they are a bit of a trek for a single day so I think I'll consider an applicant day, however Liverpool and Manchester are much more fee sable so I will certainly consider going to them. I am not worried about being by myself, I will enjoy that bit, I just worry if I will be the only one by myself. I know at uni we all will be but I don't want to look weird on the open day XD
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi George

It's not vital that you come to an open day but applicants usually find them really useful. Don't worry about coming alone, lots of people do and there will be plenty of friendly Student Ambassadors and staff to help you out on the day.

If you need to stay overnight in Brighton this is a useful website for finding somewhere to stay.

We hope you are able to make it but if not, then you can have a look around our website to get a feel for the University of Brighton

Good luck with your applications!

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    Hi George

It's not vital that you come to an open day but applicants usually find them really useful. Don't worry about coming alone, lots of people do and there will be plenty of friendly Student Ambassadors and staff to help you out on the day.

If you need to stay overnight in Brighton this is a useful website for finding somewhere to stay.

We hope you are able to make it but if not, then you can have a look around our website to get a feel for the University of Brighton

Good luck with your applications!
    Thank you! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.