Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Support for the Mental Health forum Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    From a personal perspective (how viable this would actually be; I don't know); it'd be great to have an article every week/two weeks/once a month (this is all up in the air) that was 'Spotlight on: Schizophrenia' - for example and it'd be an article on what it is; people's lived experiences; ways they manage their illness etc; what types of support there is available to people who have this illness etc?

Don't know what you think?
    I get what you're talking about. Sounds good. There could also be a section in the article listing common myths, confusions, ignorances etc. and what the truth is.

I think if this happens it's really important that each article be written by people with the condition.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I get what you're talking about. Sounds good. There could also be a section in the article listing common myths, confusions, ignorances etc. and what the truth is.

I think if this happens it's really important that each article be written by people with the condition.
    Furry (another Mental Health mod) and I will be doing a 'Myth-Busting Monday' thing for this coming Monday on Depression - (I have it myself) so I definitely agree that the the main bulk of any article - if they're to happen; needs to be from those who have the illness themselves. I could never claim to know what it's like to live with another illness other than the one I've been diagnosed, so it is really important it comes from those who live them day to day

Sections in them 'listing common myths, confusions, ignorances' would be great too - if the article thing is viable. I don't want to say it is or it isn't until Queen Cerci has given it her seal of approval but is something I could definitely get behind after Thursday (I have an exam )

ReputationRep:
    I've been suffering from mental health conditions for the past 9 years. I like sharing my experiences with other people here and trying to offer them hope and advice and hopefully making a difference to their life - even if it's only "going to your GP is a good idea". People have to start somewhere and I love that this forum is good for helping people make those first steps. I say this as a Support Team Member but I also receive a lot of support from other users about my own mental health. When I've been in the depths of depression, people here have been so great, offering me advice, support, or just an ear to listen. I've been posting here for a number of years and although people come and go, I do think there is a good community of people who both give advice or ask for it and really contribute to the community feel.

ReputationRep:
    Furry (another Mental Health mod) and I will be doing a 'Myth-Busting Monday' thing for this coming Monday on Depression - (I have it myself) so I definitely agree that the the main bulk of any article - if they're to happen; needs to be from those who have the illness themselves. I could never claim to know what it's like to live with another illness other than the one I've been diagnosed, so it is really important it comes from those who live them day to day

Sections in them 'listing common myths, confusions, ignorances' would be great too - if the article thing is viable. I don't want to say it is or it isn't until Queen Cerci has given it her seal of approval but is something I could definitely get behind after Thursday (I have an exam )
    The depression myth-busting sounds awesome. I just got kinda wary because your sig says your a psychology student but I didn't see you mention that you had any mental illnesses yourself and I'm always very nervous of psychology students who don't have mental health problems because they tend to think they know more about any mental illness than the people who actually have it.

I understand you can't say whether it'll happen either way.

Good luck with your exam.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The depression myth-busting sounds awesome. I just got kinda wary because your sig says your a psychology student but I didn't see you mention that you had any mental illnesses yourself and I'm always very nervous of psychology students who don't have mental health problems because they tend to think they know more about any mental illness than the people who actually have it.

I understand you can't say whether it'll happen either way.

Good luck with your exam.
    Well I know a little about the clinical side of certain mental illnesses through what I study - for example Schizophrenia; I know about the positive and negative symptoms of it but I wouldn't ever claim to know what it's like to live it or any other illness other than depression. I realise there's much, much more to them all than the symptoms of the respective illnesses. They're never black and white

ReputationRep:
    Well I know a little about the clinical side of certain mental illnesses through what I study - for example Schizophrenia; I know about the positive and negative symptoms of it but I wouldn't ever claim to know what it's like to live it or any other illness other than depression. I realise there's much, much more to them all than the symptoms of the respective illnesses. Mental illnesses are never black and white
    I'm not saying you do this but so many psychology students just suggest therapies they've learnt about and I'm just like 'Probably *******s and the NHS doesn't pay for anything. And also, why do you think I want to know what your opinion is? You're not one of my mental health professionals.'

Or they get really excited and want to find out about your illness because it's 'fascinating'. Like, I'm all for educating people but that's to benefit people with the condition but helping people who think they might have it or to allow people to understand it more and reduce stigma. Not because my ILLNESS is 'interesting'.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying you do this but so many psychology students just suggest therapies they've learnt about and I'm just like 'Probably *******s and the NHS doesn't pay for anything. And also, why do you think I want to know what your opinion is? You're not one of my mental health professionals.'

Or they get really excited and want to find out about your illness because it's 'fascinating'. Like, I'm all for educating people but that's to benefit people with the condition but helping people who think they might have it or to allow people to understand it more and reduce stigma. Not because my ILLNESS is 'interesting'.
    I've had CBT myself and found it didn't help in the slighest Though I do believe for some people it definitely can help - otherwise it wouldn't the therapy of choice for the NHS. I think many psychology students are very set in their ways with how they approach mental illnesses; they approach it from the clinical point of view instead of looking at it from how an individual with a said illness lives with it :/

I'm awfully one of those people who find mental illnesses interesting - along with many other area's of psychology; the neuro side of it especially is fascinating I guess talking about your illness would/could help with that? Maybe people aren't aware of what it's like to live with a certain illness day to day?

ReputationRep:
    I've had CBT myself and found it didn't help in the slighest Though I do believe for some people it definitely can help - otherwise it wouldn't the therapy of choice for the NHS. I think many psychology students are very set in their ways with how they approach mental illnesses; they approach it from the clinical point of view instead of looking at it from how an individual with a said illness lives with it :/

I'm awfully one of those people who find mental illnesses interesting - along with many other area's of psychology; the neuro side of it especially is fascinating I guess talking about your illness would/could help with that? Maybe people aren't aware of what it's like to live with a certain illness day to day?
    But it's the arrogance that's the worst thing. That they assume that they know better than both you (as the person with the illness) and your doctors etc. (who have listened to you and are actually qualified).

I don't have a problem with being interested. But expecting someone to tell you all about their illness for your own amusement is ****ing awful. There's plenty of info online written by people with different mental illnesses that can give you an idea what it's like (and I used these sometimes to understand more so I can try to be more inclusive when I speak generally about mental illness and to try to make sure I'm not misinformed about certain conditions or being unintentionally stigmatising) and people should read this stuff if they're curious and want to know for their own benefit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    From a personal perspective (how viable this would actually be; I don't know); it'd be great to have an article every week/two weeks/once a month (this is all up in the air) that was 'Spotlight on: Schizophrenia' - for example and it'd be an article on what it is; people's lived experiences; ways they manage their illness etc; what types of support there is available to people who have this illness etc?
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    X
    Any thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on this?

I love the concept and I think educating people about mental health is key. I do also think that alongside this we need to start a conversation around how you as a person are not your mental health illness- just because I think the label can at times overcome people's identities so instead of thinking of themselves as John- the guy who loves football, they might start thinking themselves solely as John the Schizophrenic. Labels can be useful but only to a point I think so I would like to make sure we open this discussion up alongside the pieces.

Format wise, threads are much more visible so I think a monthly thread that the community can get involved in would be more effective and then if we have some really popular ones we can convert them into articles- how does that sound?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)

I love the concept and I think educating people about mental health is key. I do also think that alongside this we need to start a conversation around how you as a person are not your mental health illness- just because I think the label can at times overcome people's identities so instead of thinking of themselves as John- the guy who loves football, they might start thinking themselves solely as John the Schizophrenic. Labels can be useful but only to a point I think so I would like to make sure we open this discussion up alongside the pieces.

Format wise, threads are much more visible so I think a monthly thread that the community can get involved in would be more effective and then if we have some really popular ones we can convert them into articles- how does that sound?
    The only good thing about labels is being able to identify appropriate treatments imho I definitely agree about the thing regarding people almost becoming their illness because the vast majority of people are able to lead 'normal' lives even though they may have been diagnosed with depression, schizophrenia, BPD, bipolar etc. and so showing people that you don't have to be your illness and you're not your illness is vitally important.

Would these thread's have a different focus each month? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The only good thing about labels is being able to identify appropriate treatments imho I definitely agree about the thing regarding people almost becoming their illness because the vast majority of people are able to lead 'normal' lives even though they may have been diagnosed with depression, schizophrenia, BPD, bipolar etc. and so showing people that you don't have to be your illness and you're not your illness is vitally important.

Would these thread's have a different focus each month? :holmes:
    Not necessarily, I'm happy with whatever you guys think is best

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.