Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    how would i do question 6a part 2?
    Remember about the emf of cells in parallel!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cells in parallel arrangement output the same emf...
    Calculate the emf from A and B and then add them to C+D
    This is a series arrangement
    Spoiler:
    Show
    EMF=V_1+V_2+\cdots V_n
    This will give total emf
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    how would i do question 6a part 2?
    We know the resistor rules, and that V = IR. Therefore, the same rule applied to emf (methinks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    Remember about the emf of cells in parallel!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cells in parallel arrangement output the same emf...
    Calculate the emf from A and B and then add them to C+D
    This is a series arrangement
    Spoiler:
    Show
    EMF=V_1+V_2+\cdots V_n
    This will give total emf
    where does this come from? how would you know that? is there a rule of some sort stating this?

(Original post by Kyx)
    We know the resistor rules, and that V = IR. Therefore, the same rule applied to emf (methinks)
    i've managed to do it now though ^-^ thanks for the help
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    where does this come from? how would you know that? is there a rule of some sort stating this?

i've managed to do it now though ^-^ thanks for the help
    np

ReputationRep:
    I just got taught it as being fact (part of my course)
    The rule being as you add cells in parallel, the EMF they supply does not change overall, only the capacity changes.
    This may not have been on your course

ReputationRep:
    I just got taught it as being fact (part of my course)
    The rule being as you add cells in parallel, the EMF they supply does not change overall, only the capacity changes.
    This may not have been on your course
    well ffs i never got taught this >.> well at least i know, so for example instead of just a 1.5 V emf cell there was a 2 V emf cell in parallel what would i count the total emf as now?

ReputationRep:
    well ffs i never got taught this >.> well at least i know, so for example instead of just a 1.5 V emf cell there was a 2 V emf cell in parallel what would i count the total emf as now?
    Ah now this is where its dangerous. To have two cells of different voltages in parallel is dangerous, as they will try and become the same voltage.

In your case, the 2V cell will actually discharge into the 1.5V cell to try and make them both the same voltage (1.75V in this case). This could potentially cause a massive malfunction, alot of heat will be created.

Anyway, supposing that they dont blow up you can use the equation I=\frac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{R_{1}+R_{2}} where V_1, V_2 are the voltages of the cells and R_1, R_2 are the resistances of the cells.

Otherwise the total emf would be (if they are rechargeable, and they dont blow up) the average of the two emfs:
    V_{total}=\dfrac{V_1+V_2+ \cdots + V_n}{n}

ReputationRep:
    Ah now this is where its dangerous. To have two cells of different voltages in parallel is dangerous, as they will try and become the same voltage.

In your case, the 2V cell will actually discharge into the 1.5V cell to try and make them both the same voltage (1.75V in this case). This could potentially cause a massive malfunction, alot of heat will be created.

Anyway, supposing that they dont blow up you can use the equation I=\frac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{R_{1}+R_{2}} where V_1, V_2 are the voltages of the cells and R_1, R_2 are the resistances of the cells.

Otherwise the total emf would be (if they are rechargeable, and they dont blow up) the average of the two emfs:
    V_{total}=\dfrac{V_1+V_2+ \cdots + V_n}{n}
    thanks so much ^-^

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much ^-^
    No problem dont try it though xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.