Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Languages?! But you're deaf!!!" the long road to Arabic&Spanish at Durham... Watch

ReputationRep:
    School and exam boards all been updated on the hearing situation...
    Some teachers are certainly more understanding than others.... :/
    Currently working with the head of languages to try and figure out the best way to approach oral exams and then the written exams. As the year 12 orals are they day before year 13 it's been agreed I can go to their briefing session for extra exposure to the examiner so I can learn his lip patterns etc.
    We were doing a listening task individually in Spanish today with headphones and even with the recording at full volume I couldn't make out the majority of what was being said... Told my teacher only to be more or less brushed off :/ Ah well at least we had the transcript so just used that
    Ellie x

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 23rd April

LESS THAN A WEEK TO SPANISH ORAL!!!! :afraid: :headfire:
    Ok, so I've done every single oral card possible and trust me there was one hell of a lot of them.... So feeling pretty confident as far as the building an argument goes- just need to watch out for stupid little grammar mistakes when I'm preparing!
    Feeling confident for the section on "La Casa de Bernarda Alba" as it's generally English lit style questions about character development, symbolism etc
    Need to do more for the film section "El Laberinto del Fauno"- need to memorise statistics, awards etc as well as recap the historical background and the stuff on Guillermo del Toro and his upbringing....
    Right now I'm using Quizlet (it's amazing for learning vocab!) to recap topic specific vocab for the card section- focussing especially on the topics we did early in the year to jog my memory....
    Hasta luego,
    Ellie x

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say you're pretty inspiring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    Helloooo :nyan:

Ok so i'm making this blog for 2 main reasons:
    1) To raise awareness/answer any and all questions related to being deaf/hearing loss/lip reading/hearing aids etc I honestly don't mind no matter how weird the question may be!
    2) after 2.5 weeks of intense easter revision i'm lacking motivation and need a place to keep track...

Languages have been my 'thing' for as long as I can remember, just one slight catch....
    I'm totally deaf in my right ear and have mild-moderate hearing loss in my left ear, and throw in tinnitus for good measure too...
    I use CROS hearing aids and a roger pen (like a portable loop system) at school, but rely heavily on lip reading- which can be fun in Spanish and French....
    I'm totally blessed to have an amazing group of friends who have been supportive throughout my entire high school time- letting me copy notes when I don't hear, repeating things constantly etc would be lost without them tbh

So a bit about my studies:
    A2 Subjects, exam board, mock grade, predicted/target grade:
    Spanish, AQA, A, A*
    English lit, AQA(love through the ages), A, A*
    French, AQA, A, A

Uni offers (all beginners Arabic and Spanish):
    Durham: AAA (firm )
    Edinburgh: ABB (insurance )
    Exeter: AAB (declined)
    St Andrews: AAB (declined)

Other stuff I do and may feature....
    -Generally wasting as much time as possible with my horse- i've been riding for 15 years and my horse keeps me sane as sad as it sounds....
    -Playing the tenor horn (don't worry no-one has ever heard of it...) working on my grade 6 and also play in the county concert band
    -Army cadets: I was a cadet for 5 years, having been the youngest ever senior female, I'm now in the process of joining as an adult instructor so I can give something back!
    -Learning new languages: I'm determined to self teach sign language and also Maltease, Hindi, German and Italian

No idea how successful this will be- i've probably bored everyone already... Post soon!
    Hello! I'm in Year 13 as well!

I think D/deaf awareness is definitely needed! I've been to a couple of D/deaf awareness courses (I'm not sure whether it's Deaf or just deaf). As for your lack of motivation...I feel like my current view of one of my subjects is affecting my motivation to revise for my other exam-based subject (as well as a formal British Sign Language course complete with assessments throughout the year) (I'm doing two exam-based subjects and one BTEC Level 3 course).

I have a friend who does Spanish and from what she says about it, I would find it very hard!
    Congratulations for the high mock & predicted/target grades! My current grades aren't what I want. I want at least 2 B grades and a Pass overall (wanted a Merit earlier in the year but now unsure as to how likely that will be...doesn't mean I won't aim for a Merit!).

Arabic and Spanish, huh? That's very cool! I've wanted to learn Arabic for some time now. I've been told that Arabic can vary from one country to another, so someone from Saudi Arabia (for example) might have a difficult time trying to understand what someone from Algeria is saying in Arabic. Maybe it's something similar to dialects...

OOH! HORSE RIDING! That's so cool! Army Cadets? That must be very adventurous! I know there's a Sea Cadets not too far from me. As for learning new languages, I'm learning British Sign Language (Level 1) formally, basic Scottish Gaelic and very basic Swedish informally using an online tool called Memrise. They have a website and a mobile app. I use it for free but a Premium membership is available. Memrise is really good! For basic Scottish Gaelic, I had learned and memorised how to speak basic words such as 'house' and 'school' in one day! Scottish Gaelic can be tricky (what with confusing things such as the 'mh' in 'Damh' (male deer) sounding like 'v' so 'Damh' sounds like 'Dah-v' but it's beautiful! I have to brush up on my spelling, though.

I sincerely hope you do really well in your A2 exams! I also hope that the hearing in your left ear gets better!

(Original post by eleanor27)
    Helloooo :nyan:

Ok so i'm making this blog for 2 main reasons:
    1) To raise awareness/answer any and all questions related to being deaf/hearing loss/lip reading/hearing aids etc I honestly don't mind no matter how weird the question may be!
    2) after 2.5 weeks of intense easter revision i'm lacking motivation and need a place to keep track...

Languages have been my 'thing' for as long as I can remember, just one slight catch....
    I'm totally deaf in my right ear and have mild-moderate hearing loss in my left ear, and throw in tinnitus for good measure too...
    I use CROS hearing aids and a roger pen (like a portable loop system) at school, but rely heavily on lip reading- which can be fun in Spanish and French....
    I'm totally blessed to have an amazing group of friends who have been supportive throughout my entire high school time- letting me copy notes when I don't hear, repeating things constantly etc would be lost without them tbh

So a bit about my studies:
    A2 Subjects, exam board, mock grade, predicted/target grade:
    Spanish, AQA, A, A*
    English lit, AQA(love through the ages), A, A*
    French, AQA, A, A

Uni offers (all beginners Arabic and Spanish):
    Durham: AAA (firm )
    Edinburgh: ABB (insurance )
    Exeter: AAB (declined)
    St Andrews: AAB (declined)

Other stuff I do and may feature....
    -Generally wasting as much time as possible with my horse- i've been riding for 15 years and my horse keeps me sane as sad as it sounds....
    -Playing the tenor horn (don't worry no-one has ever heard of it...) working on my grade 6 and also play in the county concert band
    -Army cadets: I was a cadet for 5 years, having been the youngest ever senior female, I'm now in the process of joining as an adult instructor so I can give something back!
    -Learning new languages: I'm determined to self teach sign language and also Maltease, Hindi, German and Italian

No idea how successful this will be- i've probably bored everyone already... Post soon!
    Wow.. I'm impressed !! :eek3: :eek:
    Well done girl ! Learning languages is life ( :ahee: ) besides you are deaf, which means you are a warrior !! I admire you :blush: keep up the good job !
    And well done for your amazing grades btw !! *clapclap* :mmm:

Subscribing :yep: :heart:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.