Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does owning less stuff= less stress? watch

• View Poll Results: Less stuff= less stress?
    Agree
    55.56%
    Disagree
    34.44%
    Not sure
    10.00%

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    I definitely agree that less stuff is less stress... I always get upset when something breaks and needs fixing, there is more stuff to move if you change house and at lunch the other day a guy was talking about how stressed he gets about maybe scratching his new phone... it just got me thinking that there isn't much point having nice shiny things if they just make us feel on edge about not ruining them!
    I definitely agree on it making moving harder, i m worried about how we'll move all of our furniture let alone any of the other stuff we own. Technology is one of the things i m awful for worrying about breaking (although i have cancelled my insurance for the 1st time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Thats my exact thoughts towards it, especially as we hope to move some point before September i keep thinking how difficult moving all of our stuff to the other side of the city was and so it's motivating me to get rid of things. Indeed I have heard of minimalism, i am attempting it to have a "minimalist" wardrobe but its more challenging than I'd expected.
    I've been planning on adopting a minimalist lifestyle for some time. What is it you're finding difficult to get rid of, may I ask?

I did find this the other day, which may hold some useful advice.

ReputationRep:
    Minimalism helps, yes
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Vennec)
    I've been planning on adopting a minimalist lifestyle for some time. What is it you're finding difficult to get rid of, may I ask?

I did find this the other day, which may hold some useful advice.
    Mainly shoes and summer clothes are the issue with my wardrobe currently, i keep thinking what if I throw that out and we go on holiday as then I'd have nothing to take and shoes are a problem as I'm flat footed so i've always felt more comfortable owning more shoes as I feel they last longer.
    Stationary is another problem item as I feel that it's useful so haven't been able to part with much of it. 100 items would be too much of a challenge especially if included technology in that, maybe I should pick a much higher number to start with.

ReputationRep:
    less stuff less stress, i disagree bro.

look.youre sitting on your chair, youve got fridge next to you,kettle, water, tea, food, etc etc, you don't even have to move.

ReputationRep:
    I don`t think that stuffs can make us more or less stresful... probably it depends of out attitude to them

ReputationRep:
    Shopping makes me happy

I love stuff.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by maletka)
    I don`t think that stuffs can make us more or less stresful... probably it depends of out attitude to them

That's an interesting perspective

(Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Shopping makes me happy

I love stuff.
    There's always window shopping, i have to say primark is still a weak spot for me but compared to two years ago when i bought stuff from there at least once a month i m getting much better.

ReputationRep:
    That's an interesting perspective

There's always window shopping, i have to say primark is still a weak spot for me but compared to two years ago when i bought stuff from there at least once a month i m getting much better.
    Window shopping is no where near as satisfying.

Um once a month :lolwut:

I shop on ASOS like twice a week :rofl:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Window shopping is no where near as satisfying.

Um once a month :lolwut:

I shop on ASOS like twice a week :rofl:
    You can even try the stuff on and then put it back nicely :P Well i say once a month, in my first 2 months at uni it was weekly.

ReputationRep:
    You can even try the stuff on and then put it back nicely :P Well i say once a month, in my first 2 months at uni it was weekly.
    That's what I mostly do with my ASOS orders :3

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=claireestelle;64106711]That's an interesting perspective

Just i think that stuffs are only stuffs)) i am a big fan of clothes, but in the end it`s only clothes... why should my mood to be changed if I accidentally rip my skirt? of course if it`s not happened on the street before a date)))) it`s really stresful situation)))

anyway.. i am talking not only about clothes... Stuffs are great thing... and they can be exchanged whenever we want... we shouldn`t be stresful if they are broken or destroyed... Be positive person WITH STUFFS)))
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I 100% agree. My New Year's resolution was to buy less stuff. So now if I want something I wait a month and see if I still want it. If I do, I buy a good version that means I won't want to upgrade any time soon.

It's working really well so far!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    I 100% agree. My New Year's resolution was to buy less stuff. So now if I want something I wait a month and see if I still want it. If I do, I buy a good version that means I won't want to upgrade any time soon.

It's working really well so far!
    That sounds like a good strategy I couldnt wait a month, i d normally wait a day or two or a week if it was some kind of tech.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by maletka)

Just i think that stuffs are only stuffs)) i am a big fan of clothes, but in the end it`s only clothes... why should my mood to be changed if I accidentally rip my skirt? of course if it`s not happened on the street before a date)))) it`s really stresful situation)))

anyway.. i am talking not only about clothes... Stuffs are great thing... and they can be exchanged whenever we want... we shouldn`t be stresful if they are broken or destroyed... Be positive person WITH STUFFS)))
    Apart from phones/pcs i m not stressed if something breaks, its being surrounded by too much stuff and having to clean it all the time that i find could be stressful

ReputationRep:
    I'd prioritise shoes since you're flatfooted. You should ask yourself how often you wear the summer clothes and whether you're able to wear them for more than one season and event. Depending on where you live you may find it rains a lot more, or you may encounter quite heavy flooding or snow, at which point taking mostly knee-length skirts or a dresses won't seem very sensible and could become a bit of a health hazard.

If you're thinking of taking an article of clothing you haven't worn in a year you should probably leave at home, donate or sell instead. There is that aspect of "But what if I need it?" but if you haven't worn it in x amount of time it's likely you won't wear it. Best to give it to someone who will wear it rather than let it pick up dust.

For now, try to approach it with the mindset of "What do I need now?" rather than "What might I need for holiday?". You'll be at University for a far longer period than you'll be off in somewhere such as Spain, and if something goes wrong then you might not have the opportunity to go on holiday. If necessary you can simply return home or ask someone you know to transport or mail any extra clothing you might need, or collect it as you visit during the weekends or holidays (although be careful as you will need to transport it all back at the end of the semester).

Absolutely, pick a number you feel comfortable with but which will still pose a challenge. Not everyone has to jump straight to 100 or 59. Best of luck to you
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    That sounds like a good strategy I couldnt wait a month, i d normally wait a day or two or a week if it was some kind of tech.
    Ha yeah tech is my problem. It worked with putting me off a smart watch. All the marketing was making me think yeah I definitely should buy one of those but now there's no way I will
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    Ha yeah tech is my problem. It worked with putting me off a smart watch. All the marketing was making me think yeah I definitely should buy one of those but now there's no way I will
    Avoiding marketing probably makes a massive difference.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from phones/pcs i m not stressed if something breaks, its being surrounded by too much stuff and having to clean it all the time that i find could be stressful
    ohh... cleaning is so boring thing...
    once i read the article, and there was said that spend 20 mins for cleaning every day is enough to maintain the room clean) maybe it`s good advice))

ReputationRep:
    If there was a way to archive all the **** in my life so it's still there should I need it, but would never interrupt my life then that would be great

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.