Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Constantly thinking about my future watch

(Original post by IanDangerously)
    I thought I knew what I wanted to do in life when I was 16, went to uni, dropped out at 20, floated about dealing with personal issues, switched between various dead end jobs, got a slightly better job, trained myself in lots of things and I've only just figured out in the last few months what career I want and I'm 26 now! There's no need to rush ... you might decide what you want to do and then get stuck in a rut doing it for a while and from that realise a few years down the line what you really want to do. It might take you a while to figure it out.

Patience, persistence and self-belief are all you need, the rest falls into place with life experience and understanding.
    Thank you

When you were younger did you ever have a sense of doubt when you first decided exactly what you wanted to do?
    And did you only make such decisions because of people around you or due to your own research? I'm thinking about it so much nowadays that if I do end up changing my mind in the future, I feel like all this stress would be for nothing

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Although your friends may not admit it, I doubt they all actually know exactly what they want to do. Most people don't at your age, and much older!
    I'm 21 now and at 16 I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. People talk of 'passions' and the like but although I enjoyed reading and running and watching TV these aren't what you call passions, just hobbies, and I didn't have any burning desires to do something particular with my life like some people do.
    What I knew at 16 was that I enjoyed Maths and Geography and I was good at them, so I carried them into A-Level. I still then didn't know what I wanted to do, but I enjoyed Geography the most so I decided to do it at university. At this stage it may be best to take a gap year and explore your options, this doesn't mean not going to university but I got great grades and I didn't really realise there were other options available to me at the time. Anyway, if you do want to go to university but aren't sure what you want to do afterwards I suggest doing a degree in a broad subject, so you keep your options open. It was only this year (my final year), that when looking at different grad schemes I realised I would quite like to be a transport planner, which isn't something I thought of at all before uni. I haven't started the job yet but it sounds good, I don't have a 'burning desire' and it's not my 'dream' to do it, but it sounds really good and enjoyable. So I would say the main thing is to not think that you have to have some 'big dream' that you need to aim for, you don't. I'm not saying you shouldn't aim for things but it doesn't have to be a particular thing. Most people I know still don't know what they want to do, and that's perfectly fine! And in the future I don't know what path my career will take either, I may change my mind and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, sorry for rambling (it's late...). All I really want to say is that it's fine, and try not to worry. I know it can be hard as you feel like you have the whole world at your hands and you have to do something with it, but ultimately the future will come and the best you can do is embrace it, and things will eventually fall into place. Good luck

(Original post by LiquidGold)
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Although your friends may not admit it, I doubt they all actually know exactly what they want to do. Most people don't at your age, and much older!
    I'm 21 now and at 16 I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. People talk of 'passions' and the like but although I enjoyed reading and running and watching TV these aren't what you call passions, just hobbies, and I didn't have any burning desires to do something particular with my life like some people do.
    What I knew at 16 was that I enjoyed Maths and Geography and I was good at them, so I carried them into A-Level. I still then didn't know what I wanted to do, but I enjoyed Geography the most so I decided to do it at university. At this stage it may be best to take a gap year and explore your options, this doesn't mean not going to university but I got great grades and I didn't really realise there were other options available to me at the time. Anyway, if you do want to go to university but aren't sure what you want to do afterwards I suggest doing a degree in a broad subject, so you keep your options open. It was only this year (my final year), that when looking at different grad schemes I realised I would quite like to be a transport planner, which isn't something I thought of at all before uni. I haven't started the job yet but it sounds good, I don't have a 'burning desire' and it's not my 'dream' to do it, but it sounds really good and enjoyable. So I would say the main thing is to not think that you have to have some 'big dream' that you need to aim for, you don't. I'm not saying you shouldn't aim for things but it doesn't have to be a particular thing. Most people I know still don't know what they want to do, and that's perfectly fine! And in the future I don't know what path my career will take either, I may change my mind and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, sorry for rambling (it's late...). All I really want to say is that it's fine, and try not to worry. I know it can be hard as you feel like you have the whole world at your hands and you have to do something with it, but ultimately the future will come and the best you can do is embrace it, and things will eventually fall into place. Good luck
    Thank you lots

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.