Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buci98)
    I'm from Hungary and I started my AS year in January last year. Half of the brits didn't give a **** about me-they didn't even reply when I said good morning-the rest were better but not too opened towards me. The only people who I got on well with were an Algerian and an American guy and I have no clue why it was this way.
    Yeah but we're generally quite a rude bunch that whole politeness thing is just so we can lure you in... I like speaking to international students, but if you're nervous and your English isn't very good I do get the feeling you're not really interested in talking to me. It can be a chore sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Because Asians don't know the meaning of the word 'queue', and they always talk so damn loud in the library... so already I don't have much in common with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    Yeah but we're generally quite a rude bunch that whole politeness thing is just so we can lure you in... I like speaking to international students, but if you're nervous and your English isn't very good I do get the feeling you're not really interested in talking to me. It can be a chore sometimes.
    Obviously my English wasn't impeccable then but I could talk with those two you know. And I guess this situation shouldn't men brits are unfriendly with non-brits bc my teammates have been real nice to me ever since my first training and I'm the only non-brit in the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrandchill)
    I've noticed that home students usually hang out with the group of their own, asians stick together etc. Do brits don't bother to make friends with overseas students? Are asians too shy? Find this phenomenon weird.
    that is not true, if you are an asian, im telling you this depends on u, not depend on people. I know that most of asian have accent when they speak english, me too. and asian like making friends with people from their countries. I used to be like that, but then i realised I go to England to study, to learn new things, if i kept staying in my shell, I cannot learn anything. So when i started uni, luckily my uni doesnt have many people from my country, and non in my course, so I make friends with other non-asian people and english, I learn more and I feel better and I have no problems with it at all. If you can find good friends, difference about language accents isnt a problem. I always tell my friends if I say something incorrect in English, they need to tell me so I can learn.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.