The Student Room Group

Manager not taking sexual harassment seriously because I'm a guy!

Scroll to see replies

Do you know if there's any CCTV in that room?? Tell the police - thats just disgusting and you're very young - shame on that woman
this is actually so scary. Tell the manager again, but play it up on your face: do the whole

mrs manager lady hoe

u know this ain't right

fix it

iss ur job bish

???

in all seriousness if she doesn't do anything after you confidently ask her to take action, I'd maybe throw some disgusted looks @ jenny who needs to sort her life out tbh
tell someone. it's seriously scari
Original post by samina_ay
Do you know if there's any CCTV in that room?? Tell the police - thats just disgusting and you're very young - shame on that woman

It could've easily been classed as paedophilia or something if it was a man against a 15 year old girl.
I love how if this was a 15 year old girl most of the people would be telling her to go to the police but the most some people can offer is puke or fight back.
op is jenny hot?
Original post by BWV1007
It could've easily been classed as paedophilia or something if it was a man against a 15 year old girl.

I don't know why she think its appropriate to talk like that to a child :s exactly--double standards
Record it and go to the police please...this is not a small matter, you're a child..
fwi the look I'm talking about is this OP

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 17.05.14.png
Original post by samina_ay

Actually that's something I hadn't considered, thank you
Original post by BWV1007

yeah, that's what I think. I don't want to go into gender politics but older man + young girl is always taken WAY more seriously than older woman + young boy
Original post by Anonymous
op is jenny hot?

yes, I'd say so. You'd think that would take the edge off but if anything it makes it worse. I told a mate who said I was just being 'gay', so no help there.
As part of my bronze DofE award I'm doing a 6 month volunteering scheme at a local charity shop. I was in charge of cleaning and generally making the store look nice but now I've been moved to the back where I sort out the donated items.
There's another woman there who does the same job, and she's really weird. Let's call her Jenny. At first she was just nice and chatty, but then she started making really inappropriate comments. The first time was when I wore skinny jeans (admittedly, very skinny) and she looked at me for ages, then laughed and said 'with the size of that bulge you won't have trouble with the ladies'. I can't even tell you how uncomfortable that made me feel.
I let it slide, just thinking she was being inappropriate without realising, but she made multiple comments like that, always saying how I'm handsome and blowing me kisses (ok, it sounds like I'm bragging, but trust me, it was creepy not flattering). So I told my manager, who said she'd look into it. The next time I went to work my manager said that it was ok, Jenny had just been joking but she was going to stop now. Which she did...for about a week.
Then she started up again with really blatant comments, asking me if I was a virgin, asking me if I went for 'cougars'...then the other day she said something REALLY inappropriate while touching my thigh, I won't say what but I completely freaked out and ran out of the room and straight up to my manager and told her what happened. She told me to lighten up, she alrready established Jenny was just joking around, and I said 'this isn't a joke, it's sexual harassment'. And you know what she said? 'Only women can be sexually harassed.' WTF?!

Spoiler

I was literally IN TEARS at this point, never mind the fact that Jenny is in her 30s and I'm only FIFTEEN, so how is this a 'joke' and not harassment? My manager said Jenny's been volunteering for years, she's a 'part of the team', not a bad person.

Here's the thing - I would just leave and forget all about it, but it's part of my DofE and it's too late to start volunteering at another place (my manager said she wouldn't sign my book if I left over this so it's not like I can just pick up the extra 2 months at another place). I said I'd go to the police about it (admittedly that was a bluff), but my manager said that it would be my word (a child's) against Jenny's (a 'well established member of the community) and she'd fire me if I told anyone. I'm leaving school this year and I've already paid for my DofE expedition and equipment, and if you're not a student at the school you can't do an expedition so it's not like I could just do it next year. I know it seems like a lot of fuss over DofE but I really want this on my CV as I'm not going to uni. What in God's name do I do?!

Having spent a few months working in a charity shop when i was younger, i fully believe you you. Some of the comments by these 40-60 year old cougars was outrageous. If i was a millenial female and the sexes reversed, every one of them would have been fired for seuxal harrassment
what, she's hot and throwing herself at you and you say no, that's most boys dreams lol. If she's hot just flirt back....you could get money out of her as well as sex lol.

Seriously this is bloody harassment, No means NO, he is obviously not flirting back yet she continues to be very sexual towards him.
what, she's hot and throwing herself at you and you say no, that's most boys dreams lol. If she's hot just flirt back....you could get money out of her as well as sex lol.

But I don't want to. Why does whether she's hot or not have anything to do with it? Her advances are unwanted and she knows it.
But I don't want to. Why does whether she's hot or not have anything to do with it? Her advances are unwanted and she knows it.

because if she's hot then you have sex with her..sorry but I have to agree with your friend.
Lmao this appears to be quite common. I volunteered at a charity shop around 3 years ago and the woman there also made a couple of "jokey", sexually inappropriate comments about me, but she had the sense to not cross the line and take it too far. What is it with all these older women at charity shops?
Original post by Biryani007
Record it and go to the police please...this is not a small matter, you're a child..

Exactly what I was thinking. Leave your phone in your pocket, with the voice recorder on. Tell a parent, grandparent, teacher etc.. don't be embarrassed as this is a VERY SERIOUS matter. Once you have the recording show it to your manager and then the police.
Tell your school or whoever is in charge of DofE at your school and get them to say that you've done X months volunteering there. Could you work a different time when Jenny isn't there? Or work in a different area of the store if she comes near you?

If you end up leaving without getting the thing signed, it's not the end of the world. I did six months volunteering at a charity shop and did baking as my skill for my silver DofE (my school never offered us the bronze) but I never actually claimed for my silver. I never went on the expedition (it was over my 16th birthday and no way was that happening).

Tbh I haven't known any employer spherically ask for the DofE. Most people have done it now so it isn't really a huge 'accomplishment'.

I'd definitely tell your school about the Jenny situation. At uni im currently doing a module in safeguarding and legally you can ask your school to talk to the designated safeguarding officer and they can get someone to look further into it. If you're 15 and Jenny is 30 this is illegal. Obviously she wouldn't get arrested and it would be your word against hers, but isn't it better to at least report it so you know you did something? Cause next year it could be another 14-15 year old boy who is getting the same comments from her, but if you report it now it may prevent her from ever doing it again.
Actually that's something I hadn't considered, thank you

No worries. You just need solid evidence for these things. Hope there is CCTV in there and the problem gets solved :smile:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lmao this appears to be quite common. I volunteered at a charity shop around 3 years ago and the woman there also made a couple of "jokey", sexually inappropriate comments about me, but she had the sense to not cross the line and take it too far. What is it with all these older women at charity shops?

Horny? I guess if you had a bunch of 40-60 year old blokes around an attractive young females they would be wishing they could plow her. Women no different!

Mine were always talking about (In front of me) So handsome looks like a movie star lmao ... Wanting to know if i had gf... Making sexual jokes to me and all enjoying the banter lmao. It was cringey as foooooook

Oh yeah when i left the manager was unwilling to disclose to head office people i had left, just in case i ever came back lol

Tell you one thing... older females are upfront about being upfront lol. Not SHY!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending