Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just got officially diagnosed with Asperger's, AMA Watch

(Original post by ForestShadow)
    asperger syndrome is a developmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.

It is an autism spectrum disorder and differs from other disorders by relatively normal language and intelligence
    Not always. Repetitive patterns is normal but nonverbal communication is just one facet; some of us are able to read people pretty much as well as NTs are, and in some cases even better - for example I can always tell (in a face-to-face setting) if someone is lying to me.

Also I know aspies who are very much at ease in social situations, having no problems interacting.

And concerning intelligence and language, again most aspies I know of are incredibly intelligent, creative, and polymathic. One of my friends paints, sculpts, plays various instruments, and writes. I myself write, play instruments, and have a high level of expertise in radio and computing technologies at the low level. I also know a dozen languages, at one point having collected them like you might collect stamps.

ReputationRep:
    do you think Mr Corbyn has any tattoos ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Not always. Repetitive patterns is normal but nonverbal communication is just one facet; some of us are able to read people pretty much as well as NTs are, and in some cases even better - for example I can always tell (in a face-to-face setting) if someone is lying to me.

Also I know aspies who are very much at ease in social situations, having no problems interacting.

And concerning intelligence and language, again most aspies I know of are incredibly intelligent, creative, and polymathic. One of my friends paints, sculpts, plays various instruments, and writes. I myself write, play instruments, and have a high level of expertise in radio and computing technologies at the low level. I also know a dozen languages, at one point having collected them like you might collect stamps.
    How is an 'aspie' who has above average non verbal communication and social skills an aspie at all?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have you're autism math powers yet?

I am still waiting on mine, but i'm sure i'll get them soon!

ReputationRep:
    ass burgers syndrome

ReputationRep:
    What are your obsessions?

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a question for OP but I want OP to know that it doesnt have to define who they are as a person

(Original post by a noble chance)
    How is an 'aspie' who has above average non verbal communication and social skills an aspie at all?
    Thought patterns. It's not in the retardedness, it's in the way a person thinks. Not only that, but people with Asperger's are able to learn the social skills when they aren't there already, it's just initially more of a conscious effort.

If you want any more than that, I would suggest you get in touch with a clinical psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    OP, how autistic are you?

ReputationRep:
    Did your parents have to provide any supporting information for you to get diagnosed?

ReputationRep:
    Thought patterns. It's not in the retardedness, it's in the way a person thinks. Not only that, but people with Asperger's are able to learn the social skills when they aren't there already, it's just initially more of a conscious effort.

If you want any more than that, I would suggest you get in touch with a clinical psychologist.
    So having thought patterns that somehow differ from most people (somehow) and being socially awkward is enough for an aspergers diagnosis

Seems like the bar's a little low
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Having obsessions is seen as a symptom of Asperger's syndrome, is their anything that you're really really passionate about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Having obsessions is seen as a symptom of Asperger's syndrome, is their anything that you're really really passionate about?
    Sex.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Sex.
    Saddo

ReputationRep:
    We already know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Saddo
    Don't tell me you don't like making passionate love to someone you like.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Don't tell me you don't like making passionate love to someone you like.
    I don't obsess over it, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    ^^^
    did you get diagnosed via the NHS or privately?

Did you have to pay for your diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBoredOne)
    Adolf hitler was a nice guy i believe
    It's supposed to be a question. So add ". Thoughts?"

ReputationRep:

This.

I'm Aspergic and when I was younger I really struggled with social situations. I was always alienating people by being too blunt and missing social queues like body language. I also have an obsession with science and am entirely literal in how I think so I came across as a total nutcase, a bit like Sheldon Cooper in the big bang theory.

I couldn't and still can't understand normal people, but I got fed up with being on my own all the time so I studied the behavioral patterns of animals. They communicate primarily through body language so it was a great starting point. I then started people watching to apply what I'd learned to people. You'd be surprised at how much information is given away by body language. You can practically mind read by reading body language!

Anyways, I started applying the things I'd learned to my own body language and now I can actually understand what's going on in social situations. It's also pretty handy because it gives you the means to manipulate these situations by putting ideas in people's heads.

Like if someone's about to something that's stupid and will have a negative impact on things. A quick change in body language and they won't be doing it any more - crisis averted.

Asperger's syndrome has been found to cause genius levels of IQ as well. Not everyone gets this though. For example, there's a 13 year old at my support group who's got an IQ of 163 and the mental age of a 40 year old. He's obsessed with physics, like me, and last time I went we had a good conversation about quantum chromodynamics, it's crazy!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.