Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any democratic, secular country with a Muslim majority? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    Qatar?
    It's authoritarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissMay)
    But still. The example it still might set. I'm also struggling with whether Indonesia is a democracy. But I do definitely feel it might be one of the more generally livable places with huge Islamic population.
    I suppose there are many other livable places with a huge Islamic population but yes, Indonesia is democratic.

ReputationRep:
    Senegal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    It's authoritarian

It's a monarchy yes, but not authoritarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    I suppose there are many other livable places with a huge Islamic population but yes, Indonesia is democratic.
    What do you mean you suppose, and list these countries so I can learn something new today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    There are a few. Turkey and Albania spring to mind, through Turkey has become considerably less secular under Erdogan.

The idea of a democratic secular society is something of a Western invention, and is therefore treated as suspicious in certain parts of the world, notably the Arab world.
    The only countries in the world with an officially sanctioned religion are Arab/South Asian Muslim countries, with the exception of a couple of South-East Asian Buddhist monarchies, and also one or two Christian countries such as Denmark and Greece (it's difficult of course to have a Christian theocracy, since Jesus didn't exactly go into detail on how governments should work. Although they managed it in the Middle Ages, by combining Old Testament laws plus a continent-wide imposition of political power by the Holy Roman Empire and other subsequent military powers. The Normans persuaded the Pope to excommuncate Harold II in return for taking Papal authority to the wayward Brits on the point of their swords, for example).

Anyway, Islam specifically promulgates rules for how to implement a Muslim theocracy. There is some debate as to whether the entire Ummah should be under Sharia but in the Muslim heartlands of the former Khilafah (Caliphate) there's little justification for withholding it. Outside of the Khilafah things are a little different. Certain places, like Pakistan (which obviously owes its entire existence to Muslim self-determination in majority Hindu British India) are strongly nationalistic and see political Islam as a fundamental part of Pakistani identity. However, many African Muslim countries are not quite so militant, partly because some of them are not very democratic and are ruled by secular dictators, and partly because some have large Christian minorities and are not so naturally identifiable as 'Muslim countries'.

And then you have places like Bangladesh and Indonesia, which are nominally Muslim, but have proud identities of their own which far predate Islamic conversion, and are relatively democratic and secular (these two countries combined by the way make up one quarter of the world's total Muslim population).

ReputationRep:
    Alright. I was getting my info here

ReputationRep:
    There's not going to be a secular country that has a muslim majority.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey used to be
    And Syria used to be as Assad protected minorities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJMD)
    If not, then why?
    Tunisia. See start of 2nd paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    Bangladesh actually. Majority of the population are muslims, or at least my identification. I'd say about 35-45% of Bangladesh's population is actually secular, for example I have slightly more than a thousand students in my entire school and I'd say 75% of them are atheists.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u97)
    Bangladesh actually. Majority of the population are muslims, or at least my identification. I'd say about 35-45% of Bangladesh's population is actually secular, for example I have slightly more than a thousand students in my entire school and I'd say 75% of them are atheists.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...ist-explains-0

You missed "democratic" in the title.
    (Original post by sdotd)
    Turkey used to beAnd Syria used to be as Assad protected minorities
    You missed "democratic" in the title.

ReputationRep:

That means they're Theocratic bro. As in governed by religion, not governed by a dictator.

ReputationRep:
    Lebanon but i think the Muslim population just edges out to be the majority. The power structure is quite interesting, the President has to be a Christian, Prime Minster= Muslim, Speaker of Parliament= Shi'a, Deputy Prime Minister= Greek Orthodox and the Chief of General Staff must be Druze

ReputationRep:
    Bangladesh is officially secular and democratic but has a 90% Muslim majority

ReputationRep:
    That means they're Theocratic bro. As in governed by religion, not governed by a dictator.
    Tell me about the last elections in Qatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Tell me about the last elections in Qatar.
    http://en.annahar.com/article/199010...hout-inclusive

They aren't a democracy, but they are certainly not autocratic, they are just a full monarchy, and they elect members into their assembly like many other nations.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.annahar.com/article/199010...hout-inclusive

They aren't a democracy, but they are certainly not autocratic, they are just a full monarchy, and they elect members into their assembly like many other nations.
    Yeah, right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Yeah, right.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Q...neral_election

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.