Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do violent video games lead to aggression and violence? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do violent video games lead to aggression and violence?
    Yes
    3.39%
    No
    96.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    In my experience with video games, no.
    Me and my older sister used to play video games on a PSP with punching, and kicking. The characters had back stories and I even think there was a demon character. Think the characters bled all over the place too. I used to play games when I was younger that involved shooting people with guns and robbing cars, it was very GTA like. My sister used to own a PSP and she had friends over watch her play GTA 2 where she robbed cars, attacked people, and even did a driveby shooting. I think I came out alright.
    Yeah I love GTA and I avoid physical violence, so yeah the link between violent games and aggression that the media so loves to talk about is misinformed in my opinion too.

ReputationRep:
    Emphatic results so far
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Emphatic results so far
    LMAOO

quasa how could you?! :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    No.

I like to believe that I'm not an aggressive and violent person, despite growing up playing games such as Resident Evil and GTA

ReputationRep:
    Since I've played to Postal 2, I love to behead people with my shovel and to use cats on my shotgun. Apart from that, I'm not violent.

ReputationRep:
    Eternalflames Don't tell me you played that game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Eternalflames Don't tell me you played that game.
    Hahaha no, I've never heard of it. Your comment looked funny so I repped it

ReputationRep:
    The games I play have terrible animations and low-quality graphics, so I can't exactly say that they've immersed me into a violent lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nmys)
    Thanks for the comment

What about the view that playing from a young age may lead to an increase in aggressive traits in a person, thus making them more aggressive?
    I need to dig out my dissertation and remember what I wrote lol. Got 75 for it i will let you know hopefully in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    No. Difficult or unfair games do this.

The idea that violent games lead to violent acts is bemusing, and even more bemusing was seeing some study a few years ago reveal, shock, that it's actually difficult and frustrating games that make people more aggressive.

I hate when people waste time and resources doing extensive studies when they could've just asked a few people who it concerned 10 years earlier and reached the same obvious conclusion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    LMAOO

quasa how could you?! :cry2:
    Hey, its all circumstantial :lol:

generally they dont cause violence but anger and yelling (signs of aggression) can happen if your heavily in a deathmatch, dogfight etc and some numty interrupts you (especially online as you cant pause the game :|). you have to admit people can get annoyed.

with all these polls on TSR there needs to be more than 2 options tbh. (this one for example, yes for both, yes for each one, it depends on the person and no)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    The games I play have terrible animations and low-quality graphics, so I can't exactly say that they've immersed me into a violent lifestyle.
    But when violent games first came out like Death Race (google it, it is just pure pixels) they still caused public uproar, so I guess people believe it isn't really the graphics so much as the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nmys)
    But when violent games first came out like Death Race (google it, it is just pure pixels) they still caused public uproar, so I guess people believe it isn't really the graphics so much as the content
    That's a silly distinction to make. The argument that simply interacting with the medium can lead you to do certain things ignores the fact that the graphics and sound can make something a lot more realistic and believable. Graphics are an important part of the content, and help emphasise upon or convey the effects of a certain action. The Death Race title in 16-bit would undoubtedly be less believable than a Death Race clone in DX12 being played on Ultra on an Oculus Rift, and any gratification gathered from murdering people would doubtlessly be amplified as well.

From my experience of game-influenced violent actions that have been broadcast over the media (mainly mass shootings and robberies), we see that videogames only enhanced the perpetrator's image of themselves ("Ooo look I'm the invincible mass murderer in GTA V, I can do anything" ), and acted as a conduit through which people could release their inner anger and fear. However, I think that it's important to note that, while videogames may inspire people with existing agendas or mental health conditions to do horrible acts in the real world, they also act as a source of release for many others. While I lament the trend of growing childhood obesity, I feel that it's better to have an angry, confused child sit around all day and murder and maim in a game, than run around doing similar things to real people or animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Hey, its all circumstantial :lol:

generally they dont cause violence but anger and yelling (signs of aggression) can happen if your heavily in a deathmatch, dogfight etc and some numty interrupts you (especially online as you cant pause the game :|). you have to admit people can get annoyed.
    But that's not due to the violence. The same thing happens with any non-violent multiplayer or competitive game, like football games.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    But that's not due to the violence. The same thing happens with any non-violent multiplayer or competitive game, like football games.
    true, videogames are like any hobby in life. people can get peeved / violent if things dont go their way (e.g. football hooligans).

ps I am a gamer and play violent games (that being said, I prefer platformers and racing games and in the case of violent games, I always use tranq/stun rounds and in the case of gta online, i prefer racing people and creating customer circuits, although i have won a few death matches and completed aall game types in gta / have platinum trophy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Hahaha no, I've never heard of it.
    Good, never play to this game. It's terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nmys)
    Thanks for the comment

What about the view that playing from a young age may lead to an increase in aggressive traits in a person, thus making them more aggressive?
    Ill leave this but i will have to take this off, let me know when you finished reading

ReputationRep:
    Throwback to GCSE psychology lol. Shoutout to Anderson and Dill

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful. I'm done with it now so you can remove it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nmys)
    Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful. I'm done with it now so you can remove it
    No worries glad it helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.