The Student Room Group

quadratic equation 2x^2-2x-4=0

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NNB_Herath
So that means you are weak in MATHS

I never said I was good at maths? lol im taking my GCSEs this year and if i was confronted with a question like that I would use the quadratic formular you would still get the same outcome.
Original post by junayd1998
Who really cares same outcome pal

But you cannot do some of the equations using your method which is also a waste of time.......you will not be able to solve in your method if we have two variables...hahaah.
If so shall i give you an equation to solve ????? (only if you are brave enough) HIKZ
I am currently in AS Level ( so you cannot solve the question I just gave without AS knowledge) :smile:

So what was the point in asking it then? The question you gave was a cubic, this whole thread is regarding quadratics. His method would not work since it uses the quadratic formula, doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Congratulations on your A*s last year, maybe this year try to focus on not being a dick :smile:
Original post by tinkerbella~
So what was the point in asking it then? The question you gave was a cubic, this whole thread is regarding quadratics. His method would not work since it uses the quadratic formula, doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Congratulations on your A*s last year, maybe this year try to focus on not being a dick :smile:

Really...If so if he was soo INTELLIGENT , he could easily spot that is was a CUBIC :smile:
Really...If so if he was soo INTELLIGENT , he could easily spot that is was a CUBIC :smile:

Except he never claimed to be 'soo intelligent' so that's completely irrelevant here. He gave a valid method for solving the question which OP asked, sure there are other ways but that doesn't make using the formula any less credible. I'm really not sure what your problem is, you're making some big deal out of nothing. I'd suggest you go revise for these 11 AS units and stop wasting your time with this.
Reply 25

He never said he was intelligent? Try not be so patronising or condescending - no one asked for your credentials here. How about I throw you a polynomial to the 7th degree with complex roots? It's the same thing as giving a GCSE student a cubic.

I never said I was good at maths?
Except he never claimed to be 'soo intelligent' so that's completely irrelevant here. He gave a valid method for solving the question which OP asked, sure there are other ways but that doesn't make using the formula any less credible. I'm really not sure what your problem is, you're making some big deal out of nothing. I'd suggest you go revise for these 11 AS units and stop wasting your time with this.

FINISHED REVISING :smile:
Predicted Results 11 A's for all units
FINISHED REVISING :smile:
Predicted Results 11 A's for all units

That's great, good luck with them.
What answer did you end up up getting for this ? I got X = 2 and X = -4

seems correct

Even i was in IGCSE, i was smarter than you...
ADVICE - DO NOT DO MATHS FOR AS and A2.....you will CRY

i disagree i think it's ok so far, haven't delved into A level stuff but AS matrhs seems easy enough(for mr)
Solve this with your method if you can NOOB :smile: :P
2x3-30x2+162x-350=0.

LOL quadratic formula is derived from
ax2+bx+cax^2 +bx + c
just guess to find a value which makes that equation = to 0 then long division from there

Well said....
Reply 30
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
He never said he was intelligent? Try not be so patronising or condescending - no one asked for your credentials here. How about I throw you a polynomial to the 7th degree with complex roots? It's the same thing as giving a GCSE student a cubic.

Assuming it is soluble in radicals?
Reply 31
Enough. Let's not go anymore off topic than this already is.

Quick Reply