Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be an age cap on voting in the EU referendum? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What type of mentality is this?
    Only people who are likely to live long enough to witness the repercussions should be allowed to vote?
    Like young people can't die young either.
    Should only people with no lifelong illnesses be only allowed to vote as they are likely to live to see the results?
    They have every right to vote and to even try to persuade others to vote just like certain companies keep putting up adverts and leaflets to persuade people to stay in the EU - isn't that the exact same thing? Should that not allowed either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    Yes, because 3-year-olds have a superb grasp on the political and economic climate.
    Neither do lots of 20, 30, 40 etc year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Neither do lots of 20, 30, 40 etc year olds.
    No, but they have the mental capacity to be able to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The age restrictions should be the same as General Election age restriction, but the more important restriction is on nationality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I was talking to two very intelligent and educated older people(70-80). They basis to leave seemed to be formed mostly around the bad taste of Margaret thatcher and the EU...
    Having said that, they did seem to be more open to staying in after having talked with me about the economics behind it and the associated risks. Although, they didn't explicitly say I changed the way they would vote.

ReputationRep:
    No, it should not be limited. Just because their opinion does not match the consensus does not mean they don't have the right to voice it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I don't think there should be an age cap as such. But the whole idea of this 'talk to gran' thing is incredibly insulting imo. Just because someone's over a certain age, doesn't automatically make them politically inept or unable to think for themselves — I for one, would want to make my own mind up.
    No, but it means that they won't have to suffer the consequences of their *****y decisions because they'll be dead soon.

ReputationRep:
    Although the theory that the older generations should not be able to vote is politically incorrect, I do see the thought process as to why they should not be able to vote as many would not have to deal with the consequences. However this would surely only apply to those who will vote to leave. If all older people voted to stay this would not be an issue for the stay campaign (which I support).

Massive generalization aside, if older people were banned against voting then it is also quite unfair on the brexit campaign because that is where a larger proportion their voters would come from. If mostly younger people voted to stay it would be like increasing the legal voting age.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.