The Student Room Group

Are there any old fashion dudes out here...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WoodyMKC
Hahaha, nope :biggrin: I believe in the philosophy "start as you mean to go on" and I'd hate to set a precendent that I don't intend to adhere to by paying for a first date. This is 2015, where we have equality and a distain for preferential treatment.

2015 was a good year for you?
Yeah me.

Why do you ask?
Original post by BookBird
I think that being able to pay for your own meal, and someone else's, shows that you are able to sufficiently provide for yourself, which is one means of being independent. You could just try offering to pay for your own meal, at least.

I do insist with her and she'll agree, but by the time I'll have my wallet out, she'll already have her money out paying the cashier for the meal.

What's a man to do.
Original post by xobeauty
2015 was a good year for you?

Evidently, I can't seem to leave it behind :rofl:
Gender roles are stupid. All I have to say on it :p:
Original post by xobeauty
How come?

Because I like treating her.

It's a bit weird. If she wants to pay, then I'll pay. If she asks me to pay because she expects me to (for no other reason than the fact she's a girl), then she can pay for herself the entitled poop.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Nope
Original post by WoodyMKC
Hahaha, nope :biggrin: I believe in the philosophy "start as you mean to go on" and I'd hate to set a precendent that I don't intend to adhere to by paying for a first date. This is 2015, where we have equality and a distain for preferential treatment.

Well its 2016*
Reply 28

I wouldn't say they are stupid. Views are changing, true, but still gender roles are natural to some extend. Today's day and age both parties need to work, but I feel very good when I cook, bake, clean for my parents (and future family), play with kids... Where I would want my future husband to be strong father figure, caring, helping me to do few things here and there but I would never make a rule saying : half of the week you are doing dishes and cooking 'gender equality'...
Original post by lNurl
I wouldn't say they are stupid. Views are changing, true, but still gender roles are natural to some extend. Today's day and age both parties need to work, but I feel very good when I cook, bake, clean for my parents (and future family), play with kids... Where I would want my future husband to be strong father figure, caring, helping me to do few things here and there but I would never make a rule saying : half of the week you are doing dishes and cooking 'gender equality'...

I know guys who enjoy cooking and baking. I also clean for my parents. Everything you've mentioned is nurture, not nature. If you were brought up differently you'd possibly see things completely differently too. Women will never have true equality until both men and women understand gender roles are nothing but a by-product of how we're raised.
I know guys who enjoy cooking and baking. I also clean for my parents. Everything you've mentioned is nurture, not nature. If you were brought up differently you'd possibly see things completely differently too. Women will never have true equality until both men and women understand gender roles are nothing but a by-product of how we're raised.

Most people understand that...

But women are arguably more suited to homemaking tasks, while men are more suited to work (on average).
Original post by donutellme
Most people understand that...

But women are arguably more suited to homemaking tasks, while men are more suited to work (on average).

Why?
Ive never had a girlfriend or been on a date but i would insist on paying. Its a nice gesture on the mans part i believe so i would do it!! Need a girl first though!
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Well its 2016*

Some1 pointed dat out alreddy fam :colonhash:
Why?

Sexual dimorphism
Original post by donutellme
Sexual dimorphism

How does that make any difference on a large scale? You realise you're reinforcing my point right?
Men automatically assuming they ought to pay in order to "take care" of women because the woman can't do it themselves is exactly the sort of patriarchy sexism we have come to expect from our modern society.

I like them they work in my favour lol:u:
How does that make any difference on a large scale? You realise you're reinforcing my point right?

No?

It works especially on a large scale. On average, women are weaker and emotional, so more suited for tasks that require less labour and more emotional tasks. Men are the opposite. It's all been said a thousand times before. I don't get why people are trying to break things which work...
Hate when people say oh you are the man you should be paying for everything. pay equally.

Quick Reply

Latest