Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmerjj)
    The complete combustion of 0.0117mol of X produces 2.00x10^-3 m^3 of carbon dioxide gas, measured at 24.0 degrees and 101kPa.Determine the molecular formula of X.
    I'm really not sure how to tackle this question.
    Thanks
    Hi, could you pls post ur workings for this question please

ReputationRep:
    I tried this question and this is my workings so farName:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  382.6 KB can someone tell me how to get the final answer please
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotic-L)
    I tried this question and this is my workings so farName:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  382.6 KB can someone tell me how to get the final answer please
    Thanks
    All your workings are ok. You can see the ratio of X to CO2 is 1 to 7. You'd need an alkane with 7 carbons to make 7 mol of CO2 so final answer is C7H16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    All your workings are ok. You can see the ratio of X to CO2 is 1 to 7. You'd need an alkane with 7 carbons to make 7 mol of CO2 so final answer is C7H16.
    Ahh right I see. Thank you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.