Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worst things about video games these days Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Are we still on about hammering?
    Of course, what did you think we were talking about?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Of course, what did you think we were talking about?
    You know so what kind of hammer do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    You know so what kind of hammer do you use?
    jackhammer.

A gentle one, though.

ReputationRep:
    Most games nowadays are £45 of 'meh'. The only game that's given me genuine enjoyment recently is Daytona USA on PSN from 2011/1994. Also a 'collectors edition' of a download. How does that work?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It gets boring when they are really greedy and start gouging money. I dislike how they just sell bonus powers rather than earing everything in game.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    jackhammer.

A gentle one, though.
    What a gentleman. You must treat it with respect, right?

ReputationRep:
    Ubi$oft and €A.

Too much Day One DLC
    Limited content in campaigns
    Corruption in the games media industry (blacklisting companies/individuals who are overly negative or leaking info about new projects, paid vacations for journalists to attend launch announcements, etc)
    Poor optimisation for PCs (admittedly, even companies like Ubisoft are getting better at this) + the fact that companies often rely on post-launch patches for their games (see Far Cry Primal)

Additions:
    Companies Content ID-ing even the smallest amount on footage on YT (this is mostly Nintendo, Sega and Bandai Namco actually, but wtv)
    Crappy mobile ports/versions of popular PC titles (such as Dungeon Keeper)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... IAP's/DLC/micro transactions, pre-order bonuses, unfinished/broken games being released, cost of digital game is usually higher than a physical copy (PS4), EA. :-)

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    I think poor graphics can be disappointing though, even if the storyline/gameplay is amazing. Although to be fair it's probably the least important thing as you sort of 'get used' to graphics.
    (Fallout 4, Skyrim weren't amazing graphically IMO)

When games come out that have all 3, then I'll go ahead and purchase. Crysis when released was amazing. That brings me on to another thing I hate...*****y sequels. Pretty much everything from Battlefield 3 onwards was terrible.
    This is true! The graphics/storyline thing works both ways!
    Like 'Life Is Strange' for instance - amazing story-heavy game but the awful facial movements were so off-putting. The off-timing lip syncing was stuff of nightmares. But it was overlooked because of the amazing plot.
    Sequels too, omg. Gaming companies nowadays just don't know when to treasure the one successful game they make. They just need to milk the franchise and make things worse. >.<
    Usually games up until no.2 are great, then it all goes downhill (I'm looking at you, Ubisoft :unimpressed:).

ReputationRep:
    DLC's. ****ing DLC's. And kids that actually buy them, resulting in even more ridiculous overpriced DLC's to take the piss

ReputationRep:
    they are all boring I miss 90's games that i played as a kid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    they are all boring I miss 90's games that i played as a kid
    I agree with this.

Not sure if I've outgrown games or the games have gone downhill. I suspect a bit of both. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    DLC and patches
    Software generally becoming more online dependent
    Industry obsession with cinematic experiences
    Consoles becoming more PC-like

ReputationRep:
    Here'a a few of my gripes -
    Over-reliance on Online - far too many games have no or very little Single Player/Offline Split-screen experiences. The latest Star Wars Battlefront is a great example of this. The Instant Action modes against the AI is what made the originals so amazing.

Modding/Hacking - Mods that people release which add content to the game seem to get banned or not supported. Hackers on the other-hand seem to always be prevalent (especially on PC but now kids get lag switches or something so they're harder to kill on consoles too.)

DLC/Patching - In theory I think DLC expansion packs are a good idea but companies just seem to exploit them as others have mentioned. The same applies with patches; game makers seem to have become lazier knowing they can push out a patch to fix something rather than sorting it before launch.

Over-saturation of certain markets - It seems as though a lot of companies these days are making COD/Battlefield clones. The FPS market seems to be saturated whereas other genres are dying - RTS, Simming etc. Part of me thinks this is down to developer laziness, the other part of me thinks casual gamers are too blame due to their short attention spans.

ReputationRep:
    I agree I'm so fed up with the modern games that get launched I have just gone back to computer games that were my favourite when I was younger like Command & Conquer before Tiberium twilight....

ReputationRep:
    Another addition:

Steam Early Access has been turned into a toxic minefield where the few deserving indies have been obscured by devs dumping all their unfinished projects and junk titles from 10 years ago on it (see Jim Sterling on YT for more). The lack of quality control on that platform really is to its detriment.

ReputationRep:
    Microtransactions
    DLC
    Incomplete games being released and then patched every week.
    All these modern futuristic shooters, can't someone take us back to WW1 or WW2?!
    Too much emphasis on online modes, give me a really good and long campaign please!!
    Glitches that don't get patched (crawling outside a map and then being unkillable but still being able to kill others in CoD or Battlefield).
    Unbalanced matchmaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Microtransactions
    DLC
    Incomplete games being released and then patched every week.
    All these modern futuristic shooters, can't someone take us back to WW1 or WW2?!
    Too much emphasis on online modes, give me a really good and long campaign please!!
    Glitches that don't get patched (crawling outside a map and then being unkillable but still being able to kill others in CoD or Battlefield).
    Unbalanced matchmaking.
    Completely agree, I feel the CoD franchise has gone too far in to the future now, the last enjoyable franchise within the category of CoD was personally Modern warfare for me. Even then number 3 was starting to dip in it's story line.

I find that most games now focus more on the online side of things over story which is why they become so short. It's all about entertaining simple minds.

It's a sad day that games have come to that :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I sort of do like updating games with patches because no game is perfect and these add more content sometimes and some glitches will be hard to find which appear when lots of people encounter it. Don't like it when it's a glitch filled **** fest.

Don't like how some games are clearly not being designed with what gamers want. Sound good on paper but turn out to be ****. Evolve was one of the worst, turned into hide and seek.

Then adding in loads of features to make it more complicated but don't make it much more fun. Remember with what's fun in mind.

Microtransactions. I pay loads for a game, I don't want to pay more for little bits for the complete game. I like expansions like with total war games because it adds a very large amount more e.g. Medieval total war 2 is around £14, the expansion is £4 and gives 4 new campaigns which is amazing. Hate paying for little small things like weapons or access to certain places which I can see. Only micro transaction I'm happy about are cosmetics because they don't make it that you are paying for some semi important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Individuality)
    Completely agree, I feel the CoD franchise has gone too far in to the future now, the last enjoyable franchise within the category of CoD was personally Modern warfare for me. Even then number 3 was starting to dip in it's story line.

I find that most games now focus more on the online side of things over story which is why they become so short. It's all about entertaining simple minds.

It's a sad day that games have come to that :/
    MW2, [email protected] and BLOPs 1 are the only ones I can say I have enjoyed, the current ones don't even look fun in videos let alone if I were to play them.

That is true, although GTA V and I hope Uncharted 4 did/will have extensive campaigns.

Another annoyance:
    Inconsistencies in penalties. Sometimes on WRC 5 you can cut a corner massively, other times so much as touching the apex of the track and you get penalised. The damage system is wildly inconsistent too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.