Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an arts/media uni student with a graduate job AMA. watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    I think that actually having a job in industry is worth more than the salary anyway. I'm happy to live off £1.2k take-home pay as it'll give me a lot more money per month than I've had before. Getting a nice flat still.

One thing that grads, or third-years forget is that the industry want industry experience. A lot will go home to find themselves a bit more and work a retail job, which isn't really that helpful in getting them a job in their field. :beard:

Remember that you need to ensure that you're happy about the course. There are a few articles on TSR that you should read before you make choices for uni. I can dig out some reading for you if you want.
    Industry experience is important, but I think it depends on interview as well, most people look into soft skills, attitude, therefore now its even easier to switch between industries.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think you did good, loads of graduates are struggling to even get a job, even shock horror, STEM graduates. I think career progression is much more important than salary at the start of your career. If you are good, you can progress very quickly and get promotions or a better job.
    You're absolutely right. Also people start being too picky with their jobs and you see it often, dare I say you see it a lot on TSR?, that people estimate their worth to be a lot higher than it actually is. Especially the STEMzis. One of the reasons that I chose to stay in the midlands, rather than go to London, is because if I can progress my career here for a bit then jump in to London at a salary that you can live off. (As much as you can in London, that is)

This company has such good prospects, just opened an office in America and is aggressively recruiting. There is obviously money coming from somewhere!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lNurl)
    Industry experience is important, but I think it depends on interview as well, most people look into soft skills, attitude, therefore now its even easier to switch between industries.
    Yes, definitely. And these skills need to be taught at undergraduate level, often not actually being taught. My dissertation looked at the disconnect between higher ed. and industry. Found that unis rarely prepare students for the industry and that industries expect too much of unis.

Don't get me started on social mobility! :lol:

I definitely agree with everything you're saying. Transferrable and soft skills are everything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.