Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who would you vote for in the NI assembly elections next month? watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
    Democratic Unionist Party
    7.14%
    Sinn Féin
    25.00%
    Ulster Unionist Party
    21.43%
    Social Democratic & Labour Party
    14.29%
    Alliance Party
    3.57%
    Labour (NI)
    3.57%
    Conservative (NI)
    17.86%
    Other (Nationalist)
    0%
    Other (Unionist)
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Well, if this poll holds up, the Northern Ireland Conservatives will be romping home to an impressive victory.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, if this poll holds up, the Northern Ireland Conservatives will be romping home to an impressive victory.
    That's only because we have English people voting on a poll for English parties that have very few actual candidates in any of the constituencies. The NI Conservative party has a small support base, attracting 1.3% of the vote at the 2015 general election. They've never held a seat in Westminster or the Assembly and haven't had any local government seats for 30 years.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FrMurphy1798)
    Obviously vote for the real republican party - Sinn Féin.

True there lad! Typical English fixing the polls

Nice to see Bobby Sands - beidh ár lá linn...go luath

Sinn Féin Abú!
    Aye, true enough Nice to see an admirer of the 1798 Wexford Rebellion

You wouldn't want to join a TSR party would you? I say ye'd be a fierce formidable ally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Aye, true enough Nice to see an admirer of the 1798 Wexford Rebellion

You wouldn't want to join a TSR party would you? I say ye'd be a fierce formidable ally
    Of course, the founding rebellion of Republicanism so it is

Ach I would but I'm fierce busy this year like. If I change my mind sure I know where to find ye!

Tiocfaidh ár lá!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FrMurphy1798)
    Of course, the founding rebellion of Republicanism so it is

Ach I would but I'm fierce busy this year like. If I change my mind sure I know where to find ye!

Tiocfaidh ár lá!
    Ach that's fair enough. Good luck!

Aye - tiocfaidh ár lá!

ReputationRep:
    NI21 or UKIP!!! Seriously, I'd probably vote for the UUP or DUP. It'll be interesting to see if the NI Conservatives make any headway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    NI21 or UKIP!!! Seriously, I'd probably vote for the UUP or DUP. It'll be interesting to see if the NI Conservatives make any headway.
    They definitely won't since they've never even held a seat in the Assembly. Those votes were all from English Tories on here.

ReputationRep:
    That's only because we have English people voting on a poll for English parties that have very few actual candidates in any of the constituencies. The NI Conservative party has a small support base, attracting 1.3% of the vote at the 2015 general election. They've never held a seat in Westminster or the Assembly and haven't had any local government seats for 30 years.
    Not a shock considering that 2015 was the first time they ran in decades. Before that i think they allied with the UUP in the same way that the Liberal Unionist Party in Scotland did.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not a shock considering that 2015 was the first time they ran in decades. Before that i think they allied with the UUP in the same way that the Liberal Unionist Party in Scotland did.
    It still really won't grow in support. NI is now a two-party province between SF and the DUP. There's really no changing that. The unionists have always been sectarian in their voting and will never abandon the DUP apart from the smart ones.

ReputationRep:
    It still really won't grow in support. NI is now a two-party province between SF and the DUP. There's really no changing that. The unionists have always been sectarian in their voting and will never abandon the DUP apart from the smart ones.
    I'm not so sure given the pitiful vote shares that both parties get (around 25%).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm not so sure given the pitiful vote shares that both parties get (around 25%).
    Not really. Together they get about 60%, which is going to increase with the decreasing popularity of the SDLP. We'll have to see next month

ReputationRep:
    That's only because we have English people voting on a poll for English parties
    My finely honed political instincts did pick up on that point...

ReputationRep:
    UKIP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    UKIP
    Are you from the North? If so, why UKIP?

ReputationRep:
    Are you from the North? If so, why UKIP?
    nah, but that's who I would vote for if I was
    and because voting means nothing if you're voting outside the two party constituency-bubbles. therefore, I see voting as all about the vote results. for example, I voted UKIP last year in the general election (england) because I knew that the tories were going to win in my constituency no matter what I voted for, so voting UKIP is basically a vote (as a national vote, not for the sake of a seat) that represents euroscepticism and faithlessness in the other parties on offer (although I also tend to agree with UKIP's policies more than the other parties, but that's a sideline consideration at this stage)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    nah, but that's who I would vote for if I was
    and because voting means nothing if you're voting outside the two party constituency-bubbles. therefore, I see voting as all about the vote results. for example, I voted UKIP last year in the general election (england) because I knew that the tories were going to win in my constituency no matter what I voted for, so voting UKIP is basically a vote (as a national vote, not for the sake of a seat) that represents euroscepticism and faithlessness in the other parties on offer (although I also tend to agree with UKIP's policies more than the other parties, but that's a sideline consideration at this stage)
    Ahh right.
    Fair enough.
    Here, it's reeeally complicated but very cool because none of the major parties like Labour or the Conservatives have any seats in the Assembly or Westminster for the North: there's a ton of different parties who take up the vote share and the Tories/Labour have virtually no support.

Sinn Féin and the SDLP are on one side for the nationalists, and the DUP and UUP are on the other for the unionists.
    Then there's the Alliance, but they're really just there to make up numbers. ()
    UKIP have a bit of support, more so than Labour or the Tories because of their focus on unionism so they might make a bit of an increase but they probably won't break through the main 4 parties here

ReputationRep:
    DUP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by studyblr_mr)
    DUP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    twas a while ago but still, definitely sinn fein. for too long has the DUP and UUP hindered NI from being involved in it’s own islands culture, language, heritage, and economy. an ireland unfree shall never be at peace, and until the unionist scum has ****ed off back to the north of england and southern scotland there will always be the IRA
    Christ, as if it wasn't awful enough to resurrect a thread from April, you come out with that nonsense.

"Unionist scum"? The people who want to be part of our country. Absolute insanity, particularly from someone who claims to support the Labour Party. Nothing more than separatist ethnic nationalism, tinged with violence and completely ignorant of NI's problems.

You're nothing more than a bigot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Christ, as if it wasn't awful enough to resurrect a thread from April, you come out with that nonsense.

"Unionist scum"? The people who want to be part of our country. Absolute insanity, particularly from someone who claims to support the Labour Party. Nothing more than separatist ethnic nationalism, tinged with violence and completely ignorant of NI's problems.

You're nothing more than a bigot.
    I actually support the TUSC, but of course they have little chance of an electoral breakthrough. The only people unionists are, are those that want Imperialism and the oppression of the Irish people to continue, for example when a high-profile member of the TUV referred to the Irish language as a “leprechaun language"

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.