Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Share a memory that makes you smile! :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    This sounds so silly… bear with me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never been very confident. Not ever. For some reason, when I went to college… I decided I'd at least try to make an effort to boost my own morale… so I joined some stuff (can't say specifically because it'll ID me). One thing led to another and I attended a seminar that a company our college works with was holding. They were asking for volunteers to help on their student board, anyone who was interested should stay behind. So I did, I exchanged details, etc. etc…

I got a call the next day… they were wondering if I'd be able to attend a talk they were holding in London in partnership with Jisc (the company behind eduroam) and I decided to take the plunge and go to it. A day before the event, I was told that I'd be speaking at the event… this event was quite a big deal for them and the pressure was immeasurable. There were government education officials there, senior Ofsted inspectors, head teachers and principals from all over the county… it was a room of important people and I had to speak to them for 7 minutes. Needless to say, this was a very big deal for me too.

The day arrived and I went to the very swanky Jisc office in London, they had drinks first and we were all told to mingle. That was awkward, but these people seemed very nice. The talks began and suddenly it was my turn to speak… as I was introduced and nervously stood up, I had a weird epiphany…

These people don't know me, I don't know them. Why bother being shy and stumbling over my words?

I took my own advice and I'm not ashamed to say I KILLED IT! I was so shocked by this sudden bout of confidence that I was able to talk and engage the audience too! I even threw in some jokes and THEY LAUGHED! I was so proud :excited:

That's one of my happy memories. I am so happy I took a risk. Sometimes they work out. Oh, and I made their student board afterwards too. :giggle:
    Wow that's amazing! I'm so happy that you became more confident :hugs: Congrats on making the school board. I'm going to take that advice - they don't know us, so why be afraid?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Wow that's amazing! I'm so happy that you became more confident :hugs: Congrats on making the school board. I'm going to take that advice - they don't know us, so why be afraid?
    It was the company board!!!!! I was so proud :giggle: I am still shy, but it was a big boost for me :yep: — words to live by!

ReputationRep:
    It was the company board!!!!! I was so proud :giggle: I am still shy, but it was a big boost for me :yep: — words to live by!
    I would be too. I get really nervous, can never talk to people. Although, a few weeks ago I had to have a meeting with my schools governers and an MP that went surprisingly well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    I would be too. I get really nervous, can never talk to people. Although, a few weeks ago I had to have a meeting with my schools governers and an MP that went surprisingly well.
    :jumphug: you can do it! :kungfu:

ReputationRep:
    That time I spent an entire geography lesson googling pictures of prince William

ReputationRep:
    When this cute straight guy (whom I confessed to months back) took the time to listen to a problem I had with my family. So thoughtful.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds so silly… bear with me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never been very confident. Not ever. For some reason, when I went to college… I decided I'd at least try to make an effort to boost my own morale… so I joined some stuff (can't say specifically because it'll ID me). One thing led to another and I attended a seminar that a company our college works with was holding. They were asking for volunteers to help on their student board, anyone who was interested should stay behind. So I did, I exchanged details, etc. etc…

I got a call the next day… they were wondering if I'd be able to attend a talk they were holding in London in partnership with Jisc (the company behind eduroam) and I decided to take the plunge and go to it. A day before the event, I was told that I'd be speaking at the event… this event was quite a big deal for them and the pressure was immeasurable. There were government education officials there, senior Ofsted inspectors, head teachers and principals from all over the county… it was a room of important people and I had to speak to them for 7 minutes. Needless to say, this was a very big deal for me too.

The day arrived and I went to the very swanky Jisc office in London, they had drinks first and we were all told to mingle. That was awkward, but these people seemed very nice. The talks began and suddenly it was my turn to speak… as I was introduced and nervously stood up, I had a weird epiphany…

These people don't know me, I don't know them. Why bother being shy and stumbling over my words?

I took my own advice and I'm not ashamed to say I KILLED IT! I was so shocked by this sudden bout of confidence that I was able to talk and engage the audience too! I even threw in some jokes and THEY LAUGHED! I was so proud :excited:

That's one of my happy memories. I am so happy I took a risk. Sometimes they work out. Oh, and I made their student board afterwards too. :giggle:
    Congratulations! It's good to take risks from time to time

That really is a huge achievement.I'm also shy but I've learned to fake it quite a bit now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Congratulations! It's good to take risks from time to time

That really is a huge achievement.I'm also shy but I've learned to fake it quite a bit now.
    PRSOMmmmmm :cry: thank you :hugs: same here! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    That time I spent an entire geography lesson googling pictures of prince William

Now I realise how stupid that sounds!

Prince William was actually my life, I want a prince, it is not fair.

ReputationRep:
    [Insert non-existent memory here that makes me smile]

ReputationRep:
    PRSOMmmmmm :cry: thank you :hugs: same here! :lol:
    I love that little boost of confidence that you get sometimes though (like you explained), it's really thrilling! Like **** this, I AM GOING TO DO IT!

Ahhh it feels goOoOOoOOod!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I love that little boost of confidence that you get sometimes though (like you explained), it's really thrilling! Like **** this, I AM GOING TO DO IT!

Ahhh it feels goOoOOoOOod!
    And the adrenaline rush you get afterwards is also amazing! Never have I been happier to walk down the Embankment at 7pm, get on the Tube and travel home. I was so elated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I met a current friend for the first time last year.

We'd travelled some distance to attend the opening of a new business of a mutual friend.
    We didn't really know eachother and when we walked back to the station, I expected him to scamper off to his planned activities for the evening. However he started speaking to me in the train station and I felt nervous because I was afraid about getting too much into the conversation incase I missed him trying to make his escape due to my social ineptitude. However he strangely seemed to like speaking to me and we paced up and down the station just talking about random stuff although we didn't know each other.

It wasn't one sided at all and he asked me questions - even seeming pleased at my boring responses.

I was really touched and flattered and we became friends afterwards.

Now I realise how stupid that sounds!

Prince William was actually my life, I want a prince, it is not fair.
    I had a crush on Prince Harry.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And still kind of do. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    I had a crush on Prince Harry.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And still kind of do. :getmecoat:
    No William is more beautiful! He looked like an angel

ReputationRep:
    Getting uni offer after a interview that i thought i ****ed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    When I thought I ran out of doritos, and soon found out I still had a packet left. (tru stori)
    Good times, good times.
    I was the same with Walkers. I thought I'd finished all my packets but then found two that I left on a shelf. It was like godsend. It was in the middle of the night so I was hungry and I couldn't possibly go out.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    I was the same with Walkers. I thought I'd finished all my packets but then found two that I left on a shelf. It was like godsend. It was in the middle of the night so I was hungry and I couldn't possibly go out.
    EXACTLY. Some people might think it's a joke, but it's dead serious. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    EXACTLY. Some people might think it's a joke, but it's dead serious. :rofl:
    Literally there was a 10-second look of utter amazement and wonder on my face when I found them.

ReputationRep:
    when my baby sister smiled at me for the first time and she was only 6 months. unforgettable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.