Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting other left wing corbyn supporters Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Regarding the bolded.......wait, what? What are you referring to here?

As for the underlined, TSR member redferry got crap on here from the Corbyn types for not being true to the cause and all this crap when she was the one canvassing. She'd ask them if they'd ever canvassed. It might shock you to hear that not a single one had ever answered in the affirmative. I'm not even a Labour supporter by any means (surprise surprise lol) in the slightest and even I got annoyed by these people lording it over the ones who were there in the first place and will still be there to clean up the mess and pick up the pieces when this lot jump onto the next fashionable hipster bandwagon.
    Agreed. Many people who'd spent their lives campaigning against labour are now claiming to be its true voice.

Although one has to understand why the Corbyn win happened and the fact he still got a majority/the most votes without the new members.
    That's largely imo down to the other three damp squibs running for leader. It just seemed all of them were destined for milliband type slumps.
    And none of them had any originality or anything new to offer. It was just 'we need aspiration', 'yeah', 'me too'.

Whatever you think about Corbyn(lol) he was offering something different, something which seemed more authentic.

In many ways as Davij described this could be like necessary radiation therapy for labour if it encourages a fresh, new candidate like Dan Jarvis or kier starmer to stand, having learnt from the mistakes of the likes of Kendall, Cooper and Burnham.

Here's hoping.

There is however one generally positive thing Corbyn can do and that's to help us stay in the eu. Now he's come out in favour, all the hard left who viewed the European Union as a bourgeoise capitalist evil institution may think again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    That may all be true, though it's worth noting that amongst party members 51% voted for one of the other three candidates. it doesn't change the fact that a very common experience among Labour activists is to see a clear influx of new supporters whose interest in the party is directly tied to Corbyn, and that the existing membership was much more skeptical of him.

My experience, confirmed by other Labour activist friends, is that these new members are often disinterested in doing the work that's actually involved in getting a major party elected/ into government. They expect joining the party to support a candidate should be as easy as clicking "Like" on Facebook, they didn't expect or intend to take part in monthly branch meetings, leafletting, speaking to people on their doorstep and trying to convince them to vote Labour etc

I think a lot of Corbynista who weren't particularly involved in politics before last year's leadership campaign have drifted away from politics again so the moderate candidate candidate will benefit as a result
    That's what momentum is.

(Original post by Bornblue)
    In many ways as Davij described this could be like necessary radiation therapy for labour if it encourages a fresh, new candidate like Dan Jarvis or kier starmer to stand, having learnt from the mistakes of the likes of Kendall, Cooper and Burnham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Regarding the bolded.......wait, what? What are you referring to here?

As for the underlined, TSR member redferry got crap on here from the Corbyn types for not being true to the cause and all this crap when she was the one canvassing. She'd ask them if they'd ever canvassed. It might shock you to hear that not a single one had ever answered in the affirmative. I'm not even a Labour supporter by any means (surprise surprise lol) in the slightest and even I got annoyed by these people lording it over the ones who were there in the first place and will still be there to clean up the mess and pick up the pieces when this lot jump onto the next fashionable hipster bandwagon.
    Oh it's got worse since then. I've stopped doing all but my leaflet round and now the branch can't find a secretary or chair, is short on leafleters and noone but the Lewisham mayoral candidate is showing up to canvassing sessions >_<

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.