The Student Room Group

Advice Please- Unsure about a degree in phisics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davew3000
David,

I was thinking earlier about time management, How have you coped with the degree alongside a full time job? Any tips

Do you have a family to work round too?

I dont have dependents so thats why I can do 120 credits, I've met some other open uni students who had children and just didnt have the time to commit to a heavy workload.

My advice is to do commit to at least and hour before bed every night but everyone is different, its what I've done and I often then spend all Sunday afternoon working also. Its been manageable. Open Uni can be quite flexible on assignments, Ive probably had 5+ extensions in the last 3 years when theres been a lot due in around the same time.

I have not coped, its been really difficult at points but I didn't want to let it go on 6 years and really wanted to get it done in 3. No pain no gain as the saying goes. I've dropped to part time hours since christmas because its all coming to a finish line in the next two months and I couldn't handle the workload for year 3. But you could cross that bridge when you come to it and maybe split the third year into two years or just go down the 90 credits per year route and do it in 4 (which is what I should have done if i'm being brutally honest)

The best tip I have is to try and get a head start before the courses start each summer, do your revision notes (the important stuff in short form) from the start. You can be really lucky with some modules that the tutors have available excellent revision notes which you can almost get away with just revising and not learning the books, especially for S207 or S217 as it is now.

I dont think theres a best answer, once you get through your first year its almost like a test run so you can see what it takes and what you will need to do for the important years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Davidswift9
I dont have dependents so thats why I can do 120 credits, I've met some other open uni students who had children and just didnt have the time to commit to a heavy workload.

My advice is to do commit to at least and hour before bed every night but everyone is different, its what I've done and I often then spend all Sunday afternoon working also. Its been manageable. Open Uni can be quite flexible on assignments, Ive probably had 5+ extensions in the last 3 years when theres been a lot due in around the same time.

I have not coped, its been really difficult at points but I didn't want to let it go on 6 years and really wanted to get it done in 3. No pain no gain as the saying goes. I've dropped to part time hours since christmas because its all coming to a finish line in the next two months and I couldn't handle the workload for year 3. But you could cross that bridge when you come to it and maybe split the third year into two years or just go down the 90 credits per year route and do it in 4 (which is what I should have done if i'm being brutally honest)

The best tip I have is to try and get a head start before the courses start each summer, do your revision notes (the important stuff in short form) from the start. You can be really lucky with some modules that the tutors have available excellent revision notes which you can almost get away with just revising and not learning the books, especially for S207 or S217 as it is now.

I dont think theres a best answer, once you get through your first year its almost like a test run so you can see what it takes and what you will need to do for the important years.

That's really impressive!

From the other threads I've read, the general consensus seemed to be that 120 credits per year is equated to over 30 hours per week. You've done really well to accomplish what you have in the hours you've stated.

I don't have kids yet so that's not a concern for now. Having planned out a week it appears that I can fit in around 3 hours per day without needing to use evenings, and with a morning or afternoon over the weekend I can get to 20 hours per week without too much trouble.

As you've said it is an individual thing and what takes one person an hour could take another 2 or 3 times as long. But your experience can at least give an idea of what is possible with hard work and dedication.

As to getting a head start, how do you mean? Baring in mind I don't yet know how a normal year of study is structured.

Thanks again! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending