The Student Room Group

David cameron admits that the british museum are full of stolen artifacts.

Scroll to see replies

As usual
So many people misunderstood the thread. :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
We have a great culture, part of which is generously looking after precious artefacts which would otherwise have been destroyed by whichever philistines were occupying their place of origin and displaying them for all the world to see.

Again, look at the burglar logic. We can't keep things that dont belong to us on the premise that we can look after it.
Original post by Youngmetro
Again, look at the burglar logic. We can't keep things that dont belong to us on the premise that we can look after it.

They do belong to us. More precisely, they belong to the British Museum, I believe.
Original post by IAmNero
Didn't India just admit the Koh-I-Noor diamond was a gift? How long before they admit it for the rest of the artifacts?

The Indian government admitted it in Indian proceedings, yes.

Lucky for us: we wouldn't have wanted the Tower of London besieged by Indian bailiffs.
They do belong to us. More precisely, they belong to the British Museum, I believe.

'Stolen artifacts' should give you a clue. They dont. Hence why Cameron had to say “If you say yes to one, you suddenly find the British Museum would be empty. It is going to have to stay put.”
Its so bad anyway return all the artefacts #vivalanaturalhistorymuseum
'Stolen artifacts' should give you a clue. They dont. Hence why Cameron had to say “If you say yes to one, you suddenly find the British Museum would be empty. It is going to have to stay put.”

What, the name you gave to these things -- which don't all share the same provenance, by the way -- should give me a clue?

The arguments behind the 'demands' for the return of many of these things are completely idiotic, made by opportunists with no connection whatsoever to the artefacts or the civilisations that created them for items which were lawfully acquired from their owners at the time (as witness the recent intervention of the Indian government on the Koh-i-Noor diamond), and acceding to one such ridiculous demand would open the floodgates to more. That is why Cameron had to take the stance he did.
This isn't exactly news. What's British about the British museum?
What, the name you gave to these things -- which don't all share the same provenance, by the way -- should give me a clue?

The arguments behind the 'demands' for the return of many of these things are completely idiotic, made by opportunists with no connection whatsoever to the artefacts or the civilisations that created them for items which were lawfully acquired from their owners at the time (as witness the recent intervention of the Indian government on the Koh-i-Noor diamond), and acceding to one such ridiculous demand would open the floodgates to more. That is why Cameron had to take the stance he did.

There are stolen artifacts, only you seem to dispute that. I'm not going to argue that with you because your claim is ridiculous.

Just search 'British Museum stolen artifacts', gives you an idea of how much of the stuff in this museum is stolen as a result of colonialism etc etc

Hence they are not idiotic because you are fundamentally wrong in suggesting they are all lawfully acquired by the owners (also showing your lack of knowledge in the topic)

Cameron made the stance because he knew that many others would demand their stuff back, many of which arent legally acquired. In the past, they have been forced to hand stuff back and are constantly facing pressure because the museum and people like you hold up cultural imperialism.

Note that David didn't say all artifacts in the British museum would be disputed. He said the museum would be empty. Speaks of how much confidence he has on the legitimacy of the artifacts.

Poor choice of words dave. Accidentally spilling the beans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
Note that David didn't say all artifacts in the British museum would be disputed. He said the museum would be empty. Speaks of how much confidence he has on the legitimacy of the artifacts.

Poor choice of words dave. Accidentally spilling the beans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. If you start acceding to silly demands like the 'return' of the Koh-i-Noor diamond, you will start acceding to every silly demand. Hence, the museum would be empty.
Original post by DrSocSciences
'Keeping their marbles: How the treasures of the past ended up in museums, and why they should stay there' (2016) by Tiffany Jenkins covers this in depth.

Have these guys never played marbles? Once you've lost your marbles, they're not yours anymore, whinging that they're yours and you want them back doesn't wash.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes. If you start acceding to silly demands like the 'return' of the Koh-i-Noor diamond, you will start acceding to every silly demand. Hence, the museum would be empty.

If the demand illegitimate, nothing will be returned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the demand illegitimate, nothing will be returned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. This is why he had to refuse it.
If people want their stuff back they can always steal it back, after all, the British armed forces aren't quite what they were in the day, maybe the "owners" can win now they have a weaker adversary.
Indeed. This is why he had to refuse it.

Then nothing to worry then. Why are you getting butthurt. What David Cameron accidentally spilled about the artifacts in British museum is the opposite of your opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then nothing to worry then. Why are you getting butthurt. What David Cameron accidentally spilled about the artifacts in British museum is the opposite of your opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot.

I apologise for embarrassing you too badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's because there is no such thing as british culture

smh

I dont disagree with most of your argument.. there is certainly a case for giving back stolen artifacts..

I would say on a case-by-case basis, the return of artifacts should be considered, baring in mind the current state of the country, (for example returning a valuable piece of history to the oppressive dictator who currently runs that country would be a no. But returning stolen work to a community who wants to treasure their own history, would be a yes.)

But you belittle your whole argument with the quote above.

The Uk is one of the oldest modern countries with a huge history and culture of its own. It really does not take to long to write a massive list of examples of british culture and historical importance. If you really dont believe that the UK has any cultrual worth (and presuming this is the country you live in) then spend 10 minutes googling the following:

Spoiler

Seriously.. if you live in this country, and cant find examples of british culture, then to be honest you should leave. Not because your not welcome, but because taking some time away from life in the UK, will probably help you to notice better what makes the UK unique.

Its what happened to me.. when I was growing up in the UK, I didnt think it had a strong culture, because well it was the 'norm' - normal is not exciting or distinct, to me british culture was just boring and normal.. and other countries culture was so distinct and different and unique.

But then a while back I left england, and now I live far away in another country, and honestly, it gives you perspective.. when I look back now its very clear what english culture is, both the good and the bad.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I dont disagree with most of your argument.. there is certainly a case for giving back stolen artifacts..

I would say on a case-by-case basis, the return of artifacts should be considered, baring in mind the current state of the country, (for example returning a valuable piece of history to the oppressive dictator who currently runs that country would be a no. But returning stolen work to a community who wants to treasure their own history, would be a yes.)

But you belittle your whole argument with the quote above.

The Uk is one of the oldest modern countries with a huge history and culture of its own. It really does not take to long to write a massive list of examples of british culture and historical importance. If you really dont believe that the UK has any cultrual worth (and presuming this is the country you live in) then spend 10 minutes googling the following:

Spoiler

Seriously.. if you live in this country, and cant find examples of british culture, then to be honest you should leave. Not because your not welcome, but because taking some time away from life in the UK, will probably help you to notice better what makes the UK unique.

Its what happened to me.. when I was growing up in the UK, I didnt think it had a strong culture, because well it was the 'norm' - normal is not exciting or distinct, to me british culture was just boring and normal.. and other countries culture was so distinct and different and unique.

But then a while back I left england, and now I live far away in another country, and honestly, it gives you perspective.. when I look back now its very clear what english culture is, both the good and the bad.

So much ownage in this post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee
This isn't exactly news. What's British about the British museum?

- A large part of the funding is paid for by the British taxpayer;
- It does far more for cultural awareness than most equally reputable institutions - this remains, in my well-travelled opinion, a truly 'British' ideal: culture, even when not our own, should be shared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending