Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We do not need anymore Punk documentaries! Nor Nirvana being mentioned every time. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    What the hell is nirvana?!
    You're sad.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BiologyA2Student)
    Apparently its the name thats found on the t shirts of wanna-be emo chicks
    Absolutely hate those kind of people that just wear band shirts because it goes with an image. God's honest truth, I met one girl and she didn't even know that Black Sabbath were a band.
    And one lad I met was wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt and thought LZ was one guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    They were a million times better than the shite these days.

Well of course corporatism has taken over so now all we have is hardcore heavy metal, pop rock and sellouts like Green Day.

I'd say they were influenced more by Sonic Youth or the Pixies but possibly
    Yeah they were definitely influenced by those as well. Particularly The Pixies, who should have been the band that broke the American alternative scene. They were genuinely subversive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Hiya OP :wavey:

Just moved this over to a more appropriate section for you.

Ethan
    Thanks Ethan, I wasn't aware of a music forum

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely hate those kind of people that just wear band shirts because it goes with an image. God's honest truth, I met one girl and she didn't even know that Black Sabbath were a band.

That pic is spot on lol.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Thanks Ethan, I wasn't aware of a music forum
    No problem at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    thats so rude lol

but at least, those wanna-be emo chicks appreciate good music
    Haha I do like nirvana you know, it was a joke

ReputationRep:
    Haha I do like nirvana you know, it was a joke
    Oh :* goody haha

ReputationRep:
    Oh :* goody haha
    You're pretty for a goth girl

ReputationRep:
    You're pretty for a goth girl
    Lmao I'm not a goth girl. I like artists/bands from a wide range of genres. I hugely dislike rap music lol. And not too keen on r&b etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Important and influential yes but that does mean they were good. What has come since? Nu Metal? Emo? "Punks" with skateboards got more popular and most Rock has been taken over by whiney, self-pity.
    Emo, or rather, emotional hardcore, has been around since the 80s. In other words, emo as a sub-genre pre-dates Nirvana by a few years.

I'll give you that the state of modern rock is rather shite compared to how it was throughout the 60s-90s, but what you gonna do?

The Damned?
    They were a grunge band that has come to be regarded as one of the most influential and important rock bands of the modern era.
    The Damned were a punk band, and later incorporated gothic/horror themes into their music. But grunge, they were not. I should know, I've seen them enough times
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    The Damned were a punk band, and later incorporated gothic/horror themes into their music. But grunge, they were not. I should know, I've seen them enough times
    I know who the Damned were but I was just saying that in question of how they could be associated with Nirvana.
    Thanks for the info tho

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I'm not a goth girl. I like artists/bands from a wide range of genres. I hugely dislike rap music lol. And not too keen on r&b etc
    Lol me too I listened to a wider variety of music mostly rock. I like hip hop but not songs about sex and drugs like today. I love fort minor

ReputationRep:
    I hate that ****. I recently heard someone listening to Nevermind the *******s and I asked them joking to turn it up louder so I can listen too. Then they just started jamming like they're cool and so I asked them what their favourite song was. They said "I've no idea." I asked if it's because there's too many good ones to choose from, the idiot says, "No. I just have no idea what theyre saying." I literally asked them what the **** they were doing.

ReputationRep:
    I was just about make a punk thread because I don't see one. I think there needs to be more documentaries because apparently people have no ****ing clue about the social origins of punk. Which makes me love punk more than the actual music even though the music is phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    You're sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Just sad..smh, just smh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mard_arse)
    I was just about make a punk thread because I don't see one. I think there needs to be more documentaries because apparently people have no ****ing clue about the social origins of punk. Which makes me love punk more than the actual music even though the music is phenomenal.
    I do not see the need for yet another one. Christ if people haven't got it by now they never will.

The problem is the documentary makers, as all documentary makers do, seem to want to polish up the story to suit Guardian readers, hence why The Clash, who I love, are pushed more than others with the exception of the Pistols perhaps. These are the same journalists that either ignored or smeared the entire genre as racist in the 80's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mard_arse)
    I hate that ****. I recently heard someone listening to Nevermind the *******s and I asked them joking to turn it up louder so I can listen too. Then they just started jamming like they're cool and so I asked them what their favourite song was. They said "I've no idea." I asked if it's because there's too many good ones to choose from, the idiot says, "No. I just have no idea what theyre saying." I literally asked them what the **** they were doing.
    I've a friend who is in a "Punk" band who told me he knows of The Sex Pistols but didn't know their songs. Skateboarding **** that he is.

ReputationRep:
    I think to truly appreciate Nirvana you have to understand their message and learn about what Kurt Cobain was like - such a ****ing cool guy and they're my favourite band of all time - truly they're not overrated a lot of songs they have done are very very underrated and they came about at a time where pop was taking over and totally flipped the popular music industry at the time. They stuck to their roots and were very important

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.