Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree with giving up seats on public transport ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    as a gentleman it is second nature to me to give up my seat.

ReputationRep:
    I would always want to give up my seat for someone who is elderly or disabled, or even someone on crutches. I would hope if it was myself in the situation that people would do the same for me. In some cultures people probably wouldn't have second thoughts about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've only actually given up my seat without being asked for old people and this one guy with crutches, although I'd likely give it up for anyone who asked nicely. I don't have a problem with standing.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Mimi1233)
    I only ask because I have broken my back and recently have started travelling back to work on the tube. I'm on crutches and I'm not saying for one second I deserve the seat more than anybody else as lots or conditions are invisible. However I've been pushed over two timew by somebody pushing me put the way for a seat and only been offered a seat once. I've always given up my seat for pregnant ladies elderly people or people who look like they need it I'm wondering if I'm in the minority giving up my seat !
    Ofc its simply a matter of good manners and courtesy.
    If I saw you were on crutches id have no problem offering my seat.

There was a thread a few weeks back where quite a few posters were proud of not giving up their seat, which says more about them and their level of manners. Utterly pathetic.

If it was my mother, disabled relative, pregnant wife, then Id hope people would give up their seat if needed, just as I wouldnt hesitate to do he same.

I only ask because I have broken my back and recently have started travelling back to work on the tube. I'm on crutches and I'm not saying for one second I deserve the seat more than anybody else as lots or conditions are invisible. However I've been pushed over two timew by somebody pushing me put the way for a seat and only been offered a seat once. I've always given up my seat for pregnant ladies elderly people or people who look like they need it I'm wondering if I'm in the minority giving up my seat !
    I never give up my seat, unless someone is dying.. Then I need to think about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the other person looks able-bodied, I remain sat.

Think about it, it's like offering a person in a cafe a piece of your toast just because they walked past.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like sitting, but if I was and I saw someone who needed a seat i would offer it to them. But London people are quite rude, I was on the bus with my mum who has an invisible disability which means she cant stand, so I sat with her. And this old guy got on and started pointing at the sign like "oh you shouldn't be here obviously" it was offensive but to answer your question since i went on a waffle, I agree with it, but it shouldn't apply to all if you cant give up a seat or whatever reason you may have

ReputationRep:
    Remember "sucker" is spelt with a capital S.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Whenever possible, I try to give up my seat to those who seem to need it more than I do. I mean, it wouldn't feel right if I didn't. Especially if I am sitting in the priority seats specially made for those who need these seats, what right would I have sitting in that section? I personally think it's the right thing to do. Sometimes it can be a bit inconvenient as just as I'm about to get comfortable- eat or read a book I'd have to get up again and there may not be any seats left meaning I'd have to stand. But it's not a big deal. I'd trade that any day to make sure someone else is safe and comfortable It's not that of a big deal so please don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I gave up my seat to a woman with a pram. Got a nice smile... 😻

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.