Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Isn't having a racial preference racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't see how people can say they find a person from a certain race more attractive. I understand why but I struggle to see how this is based on other factors apart from where they come from and skin colour.
    It can't be down to things like personality and characteristics because this varies from person to person. So if you say you're more attracted to white females for example then yes this is your preference but it is also racist. No?
    Or am I going about this the wrong way?
    Saw a thread about an issue kind of related to this and began thinking deeply.
    Is having a racial preference in a partner racist?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People are getting mad. Seriously.

Having a sexual preference towards a race is not racism - you don't treat that person differently or badly for that matter, you're simply not attracted to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saying that something is "just a preference" isn't really meaningful, here. It certainly doesn't change whether someone is expressing a racist perspective.

Of course, our personal behaviors and expressions don't have the same burdens of responsibility that government policies or public businesses do - but this doesn't mean that our personal behaviors can't still be racist.

You aren't obligated to make yourself romantically available to anyone - but that doesn't mean that it's impossible for your "preferences" to be racist. This idea of sexual/romantic preferences being inscrutable is something of a smokescreen.

If you saw someone whose Facebook profile page said "Don't send me friend requests if you're black", there wouldn't be this much nuanced discussion about whether or not that person is likely a racist - we wouldn't be hearing so many people saying "but he just prefers to have non-black friends; that's not racist".

What makes Grindr different? Are casual expressions of racist preferences OK in the realm of sex, specifically? Why would they be? Preferences for "no blacks" (or "no latinos" or "no asians" or whatever) on hookup app profiles clearly reiterate real expressions of racism in society. You don't owe anyone your romantic interest, but you are definitely still accountable for the preferences that you explicitly announce and embrace.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-racist-t...friendship-etc

Here are some amusing statistics:
    https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2...ces2.png?w=902

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think it's racist. I am black and pretty much only for for black guys. I have seen attractive guys of all races but I Don't think I would ever date them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how people can say they find a person from a certain race more attractive. I understand why but I struggle to see how this is based on other factors apart from where they come from and skin colour.
    It can't be down to things like personality and characteristics because this varies from person to person. So if you say you're more attracted to white females for example then yes this is your preference but it is also racist. No?
    If I said "I'm not attracted to black women because they are degenerates and I'm too good for them", that would be racist.

If I say "I'm more attracted to Asian girls, because they're more my type". That's not racist. Besides it's not like it is a conscious decision, you can't argue with a preference based on nothing but instinct.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    How can you not see a point yet still understand it Seriously though, I think the mentality is what counts for if the preference is racist or not. I mean if I'm attracted to a white dude because he has prettier eye colors, no that is not racist. But if I date him just for his eye color and negate his character/being, if I date him only because he fulfils a fantasy, then yes that is racist. imo anyway..

ReputationRep:
    My initial reaction is "no, of course not". If, say, I prefer, dark haired people to fair haired, that's not prejudice, just preference. Same with skin colour.

But then it's interesting to change the word "attractive" to "nice". Pretty similar in meaning, just it suddenly doesn't sound ok to say "I don't find [whatever] people nice".

If your preference goes so far as too exclude some people from consideration, that's where it seems more clearly racist. It's like saying "I wouldn't find any fair-haired people attractive." It's so extreme that it's like denying part of your sexuality to satisfy your prejudice. Perhaps there's a grey area in between?

ReputationRep:
    No of course it bloody isn't, what an insane suggestion.

Some people might not get turned on by white skin or dark skin. You can't browbeat and guilt people into attraction because it is out of people's control.

it's only racism when you say I'm not attracted to X race because they all have Y feature which makes them all ugly
    nothing wrong with saying I prefer X race to Z race

you can't help who you are attracted to. But this is something i don't get, if a person is attractive then why does race have to come in? why is it to some people that race is barrier as to whether they find someone attractive or not? i just don't get it
    Exactly what I mean. Saying you prefer one person over another because of their race is most probably racist. Unless people want to change the definition of what 'racism' is?
    Discrimination within relationships shouldn't be something to be happily open about I feel. Not really something to be proud of tbh

(Original post by paul514)
    Is having a racial preference in a partner racist?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've come to my own conclusion now. Yes it actually is.

(Original post by Novascope)
    Is having a sexual preference sexist?
    No. You don't sound smart by saying that tbh. Just shows how quickly you are to flip the problem because you know it's true

ReputationRep:
    No. You don't sound smart by saying that tbh. Just shows how quickly you are to flip the problem because you know it's true
    It was a stupid question, so I gave a stupid answer.

Well damn I must be the most incredibly racist person since I go for white men...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I'm actually NOT!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're free to have dating preferences, so long as it's not because you think one race is superior to others, etc.

So kindly take a seat.

P.S, I can't help it that I'm more attracted to white men. That's not to say though that I find it impossible to be attracted to any other races. My feelings just gravitate to them more, and I don't know why, just as much as I don't know why I'm straight.

ReputationRep:
    Coming from an Oriental guy who prefers white girls, no. White girls never go for Oriental guys though. :sad:

(Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Coming from an Oriental guy who prefers white girls, no. White girls never go for Oriental guys though. :sad:
    You are TSR's biggest racist Mr Smurf

ReputationRep:
    Gay men are sexist.

ReputationRep:
    I only want white friends...

This is racist.

So is preference over race, although its different for culture.

(Original post by Mr Smurf)
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    You are TSR's biggest racist Mr Smurf
    LOOOOL

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.