Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can religion ever be viewed as good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When people don't fight over religion, they fight over nationality. Or other ideologies unrelated to God - looking at the massacres of Stalin or Pol Pot, lead by atheists, that actively persecuted religious people as parts of their campaigns. Although there are no doubt a number of nuts that might kill because they think that God told them to, I think that most religious wars use the religion of their country or demographic as a powerful driving force to push and justify their wars and actions. Without religion, people use nationality or utopian ideologies to the same effect. It makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    After the fall of the Roman Empire it was religion which preserved information (Christianity in the west, Islam in the east), albeit bias information gathered only from those who agreed with what the religions were preaching, but information nonetheless.

Now to start an argument:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Islam did a better job
    Pre-Al Ghazali Islam, you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    In my opinion if no religion was around the planet would have had a more peaceful history.
    I doubt it. The Crusades may not have happened but I think alot of wars would have happened anyway and just not had a religous pretense. There probably would have been less persecution of minorities or dissenters.

ReputationRep:
    Without organised religion, a significant chunk of the knowledge discovered prior to the fall of rome would be missing. Without the reformation, there would be no enlightenment.

Be thankful religion exists, even if you don't subscribe to one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    That's just what I was thinking! :lol:

So in response to the OP's question, of course religion isn't good! If you believe in a god that's fine, it's your business and I really don't care how you waste your brainpower. If however you begin infecting the minds of others with such ridiculous ideologies (thereby decreasing the likelihood of those people making any contributions to modern science and consequently to the whole human race) then we've got a problem.
    I don't think that's a particularly fair analysis of religion, or religious people. The first universities were funded by religious insititutions, much of the science that forms the basis of what we know today, particulalry chemistry stems from Islamic schools in the Iberian peninsular.
    Religious people have made huge contributions to scientific and many other academic fields. and the 'Dark Ages' to which people refer is in fact a total myth. Huge advances in Social and Academic forms were made during this period with the church encouraging them progress.

I've been raised Catholic and my brother is a biochemical engineer and my sister is studying for her phd in psychology and planning on starting my Masters in History next year. What's more antiquated than religion is the idea that religious people are incapable of rational thought or aiding progression

ReputationRep:
    Pre-Al Ghazali Islam, you mean.
    Naturally, after the 12th century the whole region turned into a hole out of which fecal matter comes, until the ottomans set people straight again. There is nothing like a good dictator :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Then why did pagans kill each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BinyQuan)
    Then why did pagans kill each other?
    You are aware Pagan just means a religion that isn't Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    I have said this to many people many times and I thought it would be interesting to see views here seeing as a lot of threads have religion mentioned.

A major issue with religions is the "battling" between them as we see with civil wars in the middle east, the splitting of India into India and Pakistan etc.

Religion serves to tell us how to act in a humane, positive and helpful manner but my issue is, even if it is followed correctly, it still promotes segregation imo. Yes religion does not say to treat someone else differently but as soon as you label someone based on their beliefs there is a divide.

How on earth do we expect to act as one homogeneous society when we still divide ourselves? The fact of the matter is that as long as religion is around we will have divides and people will fight because of it.

I don't know what the solution is but I know that when all these religions founded many years ago, everyone was isolated but now it is possible to travel to anywhere and everywhere in the world. EDIT: do we just need to merge all beliefs???

I am not sure where I am going with this so feel free to discuss :confused:
    Because religion gives humans morals they otherwise wouldnt have. Without the rewards and punishment from God, humans would be running amok killing people for no reason and burning puppies alive

Butnahhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    You are aware Pagan just means a religion that isn't Christianity?
    Ones with no religion were the minority. I was referring to them.

Then why did kings of same religion fight eachother? Religion is just used as an excuse to justify their action

ReputationRep:
    Peroxidation But then again you did have the Crusades which while disrupted the region was not the work of Ghazali, and was, to my knowledge, a response from the catholic church due to growing cultural/religious intolerance between the Christians, Jews and Muslims in modern Israel and Syria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatotherone)
    I don't think that's a particularly fair analysis of religion, or religious people. The first universities were funded by religious insititutions, much of the science that forms the basis of what we know today, particulalry chemistry stems from Islamic schools in the Iberian peninsular.
    Religious people have made huge contributions to scientific and many other academic fields. and the 'Dark Ages' to which people refer is in fact a total myth. Huge advances in Social and Academic forms were made during this period with the church encouraging them progress.

I've been raised Catholic and my brother is a biochemical engineer and my sister is studying for her phd in psychology and planning on starting my Masters in History next year. What's more antiquated than religion is the idea that religious people are incapable of rational thought or aiding progression
    Yea... not really.

Science in Europe at those times amounted to alchemy, philosophy and astrology, all of which are actually pseudo-scientific disciplines. At universities, all that was taught was scholasticism, which is fundamentally flawed as it is riddled with confirmation bias (in fact the whole point of it was to reinforce Christian doctrine). This is why those times were called the dark ages, no scientific progress was made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Because religion gives humans morals they otherwise wouldnt have. Without the rewards and punishment from God, humans would be running amok killing people for no reason and burning puppies alive

Butnahhh
    Wait, is this sarcasm? I'm struggling to tell. Either way the idea that religion causes morality really isn't true at all. If it were true atheists would be murdering everyone in sight, which obviously doesn't happen.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/08/thinki...or-says-study/
    http://www.answers.com/Q/What_causes_morality
    I was going to link the whole Plato, Socrates and Euthphyro discussion but then I'd have to explain it so I've linked an explanation instead.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, is this sarcasm? I'm struggling to tell. Either way the idea that religion causes morality really isn't true at all. If it were true atheists would be murdering everyone in sight, which obviously doesn't happen.

I was going to link the whole Plato, Socrates and Euthphyro discussion but then I'd have to explain it so I've linked an explanation instead.
    Yes sarcasm

ReputationRep:

Dw quite sure it was sarcasm :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Yes sarcasm
    Oh thank goodness, I was worried I'd have to get into a lengthy debate on morality. I really need to learn how to recognise sarcasm!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    In the beginning it was a way of explaining the world - it made people think. Now it's neither use nor ornament.

ReputationRep:
    The thing that you need to recognise when you ask yourself this, is what religion is a product of at its very core.

Humans cling to what provides them comfort, even if it's temporary and falsifiable. Accepting your life as having no purpose and your existence as fleeting can be pretty uncomfortable, whereas the idea of an afterlife granting immortality dispels that anxiety, and gives your time here on Earth the purpose of abiding by God's wishes in the hopes you'll be rewarded with an afterlife. Pretty simple, no?

This on its own is not a bad thing. The unfortunate part is humans are inherently gluttonous. People will always pursue power—and to attain power, you need to have control over others; so, what better way to control others than exploiting their fears? It is surprisingly easy to convince fearful masses to conduct themselves in whatever way you wish, with the promise of a reward that quells the universal fear of purposelessness and impermanent existence.

In the end, religion is no better than political ideology or culture; all are different forms of illusionment that serve to distract us from the true nature of reality. People fight and kill in the name of them because they are protecting their will to exist. Without this illusionment, most—if not all of us—would be driven to suicide.

So, it can be considered "good" in the sense that it helps to preserve the human species.

However, it can be considered "bad" since, ironically, it is also contributing to its destruction.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank goodness, I was worried I'd have to get into a lengthy debate on morality. I really need to learn how to recognise sarcasm!
    I shall take it as a compliment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    How about the laws of physics?
    If an omnipotent being exists then... you know the rest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.