Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Hmmm... will the economy benefit or suffer? Imagine all that tax from cannabis industries...
    I think that the USA has proven that it will be positive for the economy in terms of jobs, tax revenues, capitalist competition, etc. if you make a substance illegal, whether or not there is taxation upon it driving down the demand, you'll still get a dampening effect towards competitiveness, on top of the fact that the industry doesn't break out to all available demographics/markets

ReputationRep:
    Because some people seem to think that drugs are scary and therefore only criminals and those of questionable character should be able to sell them to people. Which makes perfect sense.

Oh, and don't forget "think of the children".

ReputationRep:
    I mean in the long term it's nowhere near as harmful as cigarettes and is less addictive than caffeine.

I guess you could argue that being high can make you commit crimes without full control but high alcohol dosage does the same (which happens).

Last reason I can think of is how people can grow it in their homes and sell it, but surely you could just illegalise the distribution of cannabis but allow people to take it from approved shops/organisations?

Curious.
    The irony is that opium derivatives such as morphine are available on prescription, Cocaine derivatives are available on prescription but no cannabis derivatives are available at all.

Both opium and coca are far more illegal and dangerous compared to cannabis but yet they're used extensively in medicine but yet its illegal to use cannabis to control pain and the law has prevented any use of cannabis in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    The irony is that opium derivatives such as morphine are available on prescription, Cocaine derivatives are available on prescription but no cannabis derivatives are available at all.

Both opium and coca are far more illegal and dangerous compared to cannabis but yet they're used extensively in medicine but yet its illegal to use cannabis to control pain and the law has prevented any use of cannabis in medicine.
    Yeah. I can understand why people would argue that cannabis should be illegal for recreational use (even if I think they're ridiculous), but to argue that it shouldn't be used medicinally is just bizarre.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Better yet, why on earth is it legal to buy cannabis seeds when I'm pretty sure it's not legal to grow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Better yet, why on earth is it legal to buy cannabis seeds when I'm pretty sure it's not legal to grow it?
    Well because there are a lot of legitimate uses for cannabis seeds and not all cannabis seeds grow into plants containing THC and there's no way of telling the difference unless you grow them and test the flowers.

Why on earth is it legal to buy poppy seeds and even grow opium poppies but not cannabis might be a more interesting question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, I never knew that.

Maybe munching on the seeds induces a slightly 'high' effect? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I never knew that.

Maybe munching on the seeds induces a slightly 'high' effect? :dontknow:
    Nar, they're used in cooking and for fishing n ****. Poppy seeds on the other hand can get you high.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TSRUsername99)
    Well because there are a lot of legitimate uses for cannabis seeds and not all cannabis seeds grow into plants containing THC and there's no way of telling the difference unless you grow them and test the flowers.

Why on earth is it legal to buy poppy seeds and even grow opium poppies but not cannabis might be a more interesting question?
    Oh I see! Interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.