The Student Room Group

The astonishing vestigial hard right hatred of gay people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If hell was a place of eternal torment then it'd make sense to divert all your effort to preventing people going there rather than giving them one extra meal whilst still on Earth. Wouldn't allowing such great suffering to occur be a sin?

So what about those who feel the exact same way about figures of their religion and believe it to be the only true one? Why does yours trump theirs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The equivalent of a Muslim extremist obviously!

Don't wear clothes woven of 2 materials
No eating of fat
Offer salt to God
No eating blood
Always report all wrongdoings you see at all times otherwise face punishment
Don't TOUCH an unclean animal
Don't make promises lightly (ie no pinky swear)
Don't bring unauthorised fire before God cause he will smite you
Don't tear your clothes (or you will die)
Don't eat fish
Don't eat any birds
Don't go to church until 33 days after birth if you had a boy
Don't eat fruits that fell on the ground
No cross bred dogs as pets
No trimming of beard
No tattoos
Don't stand in the presence of the elderly

http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2012/06/13/76-things-banned-in-leviticus-and-their-penalties.html
Original post by RobML
If hell was a place of eternal torment then it'd make sense to divert all your effort to preventing people going there rather than giving them one extra meal whilst still on Earth. Wouldn't allowing such great suffering to occur be a sin?

So what about those who feel the exact same way about figures of their religion and believe it to be the only true one? Why does yours trump theirs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The charities I support evangelise aswell as provide food, water, medical aid etc. Practical Christianity is just as important as spreading the gospel. Who is going to listen to you about Jesus when they're severely dehydrated, malnourished and ridden with disease?

I've yet to come across a person of another faith that describes their relationship with their god as a personal one and has had spiritual experiences and the like. Can they say they know their god personally? Probably not. It's hard to quantify but I'm trying my best
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth

No eating of fat
Offer salt to God
No eating blood
Don't eat fish
Don't eat any birds
No trimming of beard
No tattoos

http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2012/06/13/76-things-banned-in-leviticus-and-their-penalties.html

Tbf, I do those I bolded.

I feel as if the Christians who adhere to those haven't quite understood the NT somehow.... If they want to do that, that's fine but it won't get them into heaven by biblical standards
And you think ISLAMIC terrorists understand the Quran? These is the sort of behaviours that are done by extremists. This s why I don't understand why you'd label yourself as a fanatic. As I said earlier, open a dictionary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
>one far right guy spouts nonsense
>label the WHOLE right wing as homophobic

Because that's fair right? I'm sure there's people on the left who aren't a fan of homosexuals.
Reply 26
I think all people would prefer to starve to death in this life rather than suffer eternally in the next, hence why I say conversion being prioritised over all over forms of help. I don't see how you couldn't be out on the street, trying to convert people yourself.

Then you probably haven't spoken to many people of different faiths at all; they nearly all have the same type of justification for their beliefs! So again I'll ask, why are your beliefs infinitely more legitimate than theirs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
I think all people would prefer to starve to death in this life rather than suffer eternally in the next, hence why I say conversion being prioritised over all over forms of help. I don't see how you couldn't be out on the street, trying to convert people yourself.

Then you probably haven't spoken to many people of different faiths at all; they nearly all have the same type of justification for their beliefs! So again I'll ask, why are your beliefs infinitely more legitimate than theirs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Faith without works is dead; even Jesus fed the masses that came to hear him speak with bread and fish, did he not?

We have the Holy Spirit; they cannot claim the same thing. Most other faiths claim you get into heaven or paradise or nirvana or whatever by doing good deeds. In Christianity alone is faith the only thing that can save you. And not just faith in anything; In Jesus
Original post by HanSoloLuck
I don't get it, what that person posted seemed somewhat reasonable. He/she wasn't promoting hatred or encouraging violence, somewhat indifferent granted but he did make a few solid points.

Yep, obviously totally reasonable to claim that nobody likes people, that they have no real friendships with heterosexuals and are widely despised. Totally reasonable to say that people are indifferent to ISIS killing gay people :rolleyes:

It is extremely revealing about you, though.

You/we/they know what ISIS are going to do, if you can't keep incognito with your libido then they should get out of dodge

What a remarkably douchey comment. One of the people executed for homosexuality, a 15 year old boy, was executed because he had been raped (by an ISIS commander). Many others have been executed because they are brought in for questioning for something else and their phones are searched, or when one gay person is captured and tortured they find out who his friends and ex-boyfriends are.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your vacuous assertion that this must have something to do with deviant gay people being unable to control themselves

people and society at large prefer those similar to themselves, that means other heterosexuals first and foremost. Just like people are all inherently racist whether they know it or not, and prefer people of the same race.

You shouldn't confuse your own experiences in the lower-class with the situation in society generally. Things are rather different amongst people with education and accomplishment, people close to the nerve of power. Sexuality is considered completely irrelevant amongst such people, though I can understand how in lower socio-economic groups it may take some time for you to catch up

There is always going to be a pecking order when it comes to social hierarchy, homosexuals are always going to be a minority fringe group in any society and never part of the core.

I'm sorry to say we're already part of the core group. Entry to that group is dictated by education, professional accomplishment and money. You seem upset by it but you really have to bring yourself to deal with reality.
And you think ISLAMIC terrorists understand the Quran? These is the sort of behaviours that are done by extremists. This s why I don't understand why you'd label yourself as a fanatic. As I said earlier, open a dictionary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever read the Qu'ran? I think they understand it perfectly.

Ah well, it's obviously different outside of Christian circles but it's sometimes a good thing to be recognised as fanatical for Christ within certain circles as long as you're living your life how Jesus did it
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
>one far right guy spouts nonsense
>label the WHOLE right wing as homophobic

Because that's fair right? I'm sure there's people on the left who aren't a fan of homosexuals.

It may help if you actually read the OP and other comments on the thread where I clearly say that I know not all right-wingers are like this and that these comments reflect views that are fringe views.
You seem pretty fixated on heaven. Is that the main reason you believe what you believe? Because of reward?

No eating of fat
Offer salt to God
No eating blood
Don't eat fish
Don't eat any birds
No trimming of beard
No tattoos

Surprised you left this one out:

Eating or touching the carcass of flying insects with four legs, unless those legs are jointed (11:20-22) [“You will be unclean.”]

Seriously, what the **** is that about...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
It may help if you actually read the OP and other comments on the thread where I clearly say that I know not all right-wingers are like this and that these comments reflect views that are fringe views.

There are fringe views on the left that are just as despicable.

Although you should be making a thread raging against Islam, rather than homophobic right wingers.
Implied in the definition of fanatic is the inability to think critically. Yes, I have read the Quran

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hezzlington
You seem pretty fixated on heaven. Is that the main reason you believe what you believe? Because of reward?

The earth at the present time, whilst not exactly hellish (at least for those of us blessed enough to be in developed countries) could be better, couldn't it?
Reply 36
Why isn't conversion "works"?
Well, he fed them whilst knowing he would ALSO give them salvation. People such as you or I aren't capable of certainty in bringing others salvation, which is why you should focus on it with all your ability should you want to prevent greater suffering.

Not really answering my question of why your beliefs are true and theirs aren't...
Anyway, faith in Jesus as the son of God is not a free pass to heaven, one needs to also avoid sin. Surely you should know that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
There are fringe views on the left that are just as despicable.

Although you should be making a thread raging against Islam, rather than homophobic right wingers.

I've made threads against both. I just made a thread specifically criticising ISIS murdering gay people in this way.

I also regularly make threads attacking my comrades on the left for supporting terrorism and being an apologist for Islam.

So please don't imply that somehow I'm being completely selective here. I have every right to bring attention to bigotry from certain fringe elements on the right, just as I regularly attack Islamism and its leftist fellow travellers
Implied in the definition of fanatic is the inability to think critically. Yes, I have read the Quran

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some on this site would say I lack the ability to think critically due to my faith.

Anyway, I don't know; there do seem to be quite a lot of verses in the Qu'ran that advocate what ISIS are doing and there are no verses like those in the NT at least
I don't mean to prod you but is there any possibility you might be able to make a sub-thread if you're going to get into a long theological debate, otherwise it makes it difficult for people who want to talk about the OP comment to follow their conversations on that topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending