Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your definition of 'love'? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoadtoSuccess)
    Love is something I don't get :cry:
    Aww, I won't take a bullet in the face for you but here's a hug sweetie. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I bought my boyfriend a giant hot dog for his lunch today, I'm pretty sure that is love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did he give you a giant hotdog in return? :hubba: :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    Aww, I won't take a bullet in the face for you but here's a hug sweetie. :hugs:
    ;-;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I bought my boyfriend a giant hot dog for his lunch today, I'm pretty sure that is love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends.... Did he get diorrear from it afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    When you come home after a long day and your dog jumps on you and doesn't stop licking your face.

ReputationRep:
    Love is someone you can share food with, and oh well besides someone you can share intellectual thoughts with having them on the same frequency as you.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    As I come to realise there's no such thing in real life

Ethereal World

Do you have that quote on love you posted ages ago? That's what always comes to mind when I see threads like this. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I'd define it as: Being able to strongly identify with someone else the way you would with yourself, in such a way that you become solicitious of them/ devoted to their welfare.

I.e. empathy and compassion, resulting in a bending of wills.

ReputationRep:
    Love is unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    Tagging in the GC cause I can.

I don’t think love is always a huge, cataclysmal emotional event. I think sometimes it sits in front of you for a very long time until you glance over and say, oh, there you are. I don’t think it’s your saving grace. I think it’s the hand that you hold while you save yourself. I don’t think it’s someone who sweeps you off your feet. I think it’s someone who stays right beside you and lets you walk on your own. I don’t think it’s always a blazing but temporary insanity of racing hearts and hormones. I think that’s the love that changes us. The love that should stay with us is the calm, deep, thorough knowing that you want to be with someone despite logical objections. And what may be even more important than anything is that I think you find your own love at the very edges of where other people’s love pushes you.

Spoiler:
    Show

And the problem is thinking it all has to happen at once. We just place so much expectation on what love has to mean that we run away from it before it even has the chance to blossom. Change happens at the level of gesture and love is often not a fire inside us but a warmth that grows. This kind of love means intimately knowing someone. It may take time to build. It will take real commitment.

So when the question is how do I find love, I think the answer is that it’s nothing to be found, it’s there, and when it comes to choosing it, that is just very gently reaching out and holding its hand. It’s the most unexpected place and it’s the most overlooked. It requires you to understand that love is far more, far greater and far more poignant than a failed relationship or two, if not romance as a whole. And it requires you to not force it, not lament the certainty of it’s existence and not complain that it isn’t grandeur enough. It’s letting the very small whispers inside you become full fledge symphonies and never worrying that your song isn’t what someone else wants to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Spoiler:
    Show

And the problem is thinking it all has to happen at once. We just place so much expectation on what love has to mean that we run away from it before it even has the chance to blossom. Change happens at the level of gesture and love is often not a fire inside us but a warmth that grows. This kind of love means intimately knowing someone. It may take time to build. It will take real commitment.

So when the question is how do I find love, I think the answer is that it’s nothing to be found, it’s there, and when it comes to choosing it, that is just very gently reaching out and holding its hand. It’s the most unexpected place and it’s the most overlooked. It requires you to understand that love is far more, far greater and far more poignant than a failed relationship or two, if not romance as a whole. And it requires you to not force it, not lament the certainty of it’s existence and not complain that it isn’t grandeur enough. It’s letting the very small whispers inside you become full fledge symphonies and never worrying that your song isn’t what someone else wants to hear.
    :cry2: That deserves a standing ovation.
    :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    Ethereal World

Do you have that quote on love you posted ages ago? That's what always comes to mind when I see threads like this. :yep:
    Please see above. I always deliver :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm so happy I could rep that *sloth emoji*

when the question is how do I find love, I think the answer is that it’s nothing to be found
    Exactly ! Could not have say better :yep: thanks for tagging me you are so sweet :love: love you too Em :hugs:

In my humble opinion, love is this thing that happens when life gets you really down, so you can get up again. Love is complicated, because when you are happy you might expect love to come for you, but can we be happy without love ? Here is the paradoxe.

Besides when you're down, you've lost hope, sometimes some people appear in your life and show you you're worth it. Love is this thing that reminds you how fabulous you are when you forgot it yourself. :heart:

Love is life :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    My preferred definition- Taking a bullet in the face for someone.

What's yours? :parrot:

How many people do you 'love' according to your definition?
    The unconditional love of my mother is true love.

Love alone I would define it as an endearing affection towards family and friends and your husband (because you made a contract with them in matrimony that depicts love I mean yes you can like and lust someone but if you're not willing to commit on a legal spectrum and become exclusive even under law then I really don't count that as love its just passing affection).

ReputationRep:
    somone who gives good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    I'm so happy I could rep that *sloth emoji*

Exactly ! Could not have say better :yep: thanks for tagging me you are so sweet :love: love you too Em :hugs:

In my humble opinion, love is this thing that happens when life gets you really down, so you can get up again. Love is complicated, because when you are happy you might expect love to come for you, but can we be happy without love ? Here is the paradoxe.

Besides when you're down, you've lost hope, sometimes some people appear in your life and show you you're worth it. Love is this thing that reminds you how fabulous you are when you forgot it yourself. :heart:

Love is life :heart:
    You put these things so well, you put it better in my language than I do :emo:

You put these things so well, you put it better in my language than I do :emo:
    Not true Em , You are fab :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Not true Em , You are fab :heart:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Love is what I feel when I listen to music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)
    giving a good f*** in the arse
    Such an innocent avi pic

yet such an uninnocent comment:holmes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.