Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barack Obama: Brexit would put UK at 'back of the queue' in trade talks Watch

ReputationRep:
    So america will sign a trade deal with Iceland and Columbia, two countries with smaller economies than the UK but wont have time to sign a deal with the UK ? ok then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    It doesn't matter that he won't be in office. He still knows US foreign policy far better than you, or anyone else on the planet. And yet somehow people insist they know better.
    No sweetheart his advisor knows US foreign policy way better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    It's a matter of British foreign policy which is open for the decision of the British people.

He is quite entitled to speak for America's interests, or indeed to give his opinion on any matter. What is improper about this is that he is directly involving himself in the campaign.

Likewise, British politicians are entitled to express their views about Donald Trump, but if David Cameron were to have flown to New York to tell Republican voters to support Kasich instead just before the primary that would have been problematic.

But it is worse than that. Here, the President is telling the British people that they ought to accept an arrangement which, though it is now trite to say it, America would never contemplate. Whatever else you have to say about it, Boris's piece in the Sun was absolutely right about that.

I don't dislike Obama, and I'm sure he was pressured by the Prime Minister into sticking his oar in, but it would have been more appropriate for him to refuse.
    Obama didn't tell anyone to accept anything. He told us what the US's stance is and how it would affect the outcome, which funnily enough is the opposite of the lies that many leave voters are spreading. God forbid anyone tries to inform people. Have to keep people stupid so the Leavers can win the referendum!

ReputationRep:
    Why is Obama even involved in this? lmao

ReputationRep:
    What Obama said:

"I think it’s fair to say that maybe some point down the line there might be a UK-US trade agreement, but it’s not going to happen any time soon because our focus is in negotiating with a big bloc, the European Union, to get a trade agreement done. The UK is going to be in the back of the queue."

So basically, he admits there would be a UK-US trade agreement but is just shilling for the TTIP deal.

https://www.rt.com/uk/340605-ttip-obama-uk-visit/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Typical scaremongering.
    I dunno, it's been nothing but scaremongering and whining from both sides so far. this really sounded genuine, as someone said, he won't even be in office if it happens so he can tell it like it is. The first time i,ve heard anyone say anything that will actually iinfluence how i vote.

ReputationRep:
    Reaction to President Obama’s intervention in the Brexit debate is beginning to come in. The co-founder of the Leave.EU campaign Richard Tice has said:

We don’t have a trade deal with the United States now because we’re members of the European Union.“
    The proposed EU-US trade deal, TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), would be disastrous for British workers.
    “Obama doesn’t have the authority to deny us a deal, as he will be long gone before any such proposals are on the table.”
    Apparently the co-founder of Leave.EU knows the US better than the president of the US.

How can anyone take these morons seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Obama didn't tell anyone to accept anything. He told us what the US's stance is and how it would affect the outcome, which funnily enough is the opposite of the lies that many leave voters are spreading. God forbid anyone tries to inform people. Have to keep people stupid so the Leavers can win the referendum!
    We can't afford to risk ending our special relationship with the USA by leaving the EU. Things could fall apart quite rapidly. The US would refuse to work with us on the war against terror. Britain would be forced into creating a new relationship with Putin's Russia as we need a superpower on our side.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you read his piece properly. He quite explicitly addresses what he sees, or claims to see, as the UK's national interest, as well as the USA's and the world's. He gives his own opinion on that, not just facts. Funnily enough, he gives an 'opinion' which he would never dream of presenting to his home electorate in similar circumstances.

You can protest all you like, but it is perfectly clear that this is an attempt to get involved in this referendum and sway its outcome. A principled person would try to separate this issue from whether he thinks this will help his side win this particular ballot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    We can't afford to risk ending our special relationship with the USA by leaving the EU. Things could fall apart quite rapidly. The US would refuse to work with us on the war against terror. Britain would be forced into creating a new relationship with Putin's Russia as we need a superpower on our side.
    Obama even said himself that the 'special relationship' would exist no matter what and he hoped it would be 'eternal'. This was in the press conference he just did.

ReputationRep:
    A principled person would try to separate this issue from whether he thinks this will help his side win this particular ballot.
    Maybe he did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hovado)
    Maybe he did?
    Yes, because his posts ooze dispassionate analysis.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Why do the leave voters come out with this pathetic response every time someone of influence disagrees with them? "You're not allowed to have an opinion, you're not even involved in this!!!"
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure if Obama supported the leave campaign then they'd be more than happy for him to express an opinion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because his posts ooze dispassionate analysis.
    Oh i thought you were talking about daves friend, barack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I'm a remain voter but this is the biggest mountain of bull**** I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    It's incredible how the leader of the US says he's going to do something, and people disagree with him. The level of ignorance and delusion coming from the leave campaign is amazing.
    ...? "ignorance"? are you saying that the president of the US is omniscient...? I wouldn't know what else to infer from this...

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't take much value in Obama's comments regarding this tbh.

Brexiters are still moronic though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    No idea why Obama's butting in. It isn't his problem at all.
    Now i don't think his comments mean that much (we currently have no trade agreement with them anyway) but to suggest that what happens to the US's 5th largest export market is none of his concern is ludicrous (and probably largest export market for services and capital flows).

At the very least the instability caused in the short term as we conduct 2 years of exit negotiations should be a concern to them, never mind the fact that the UK is the biggest driving force behind TTIP which will affect their trade on a continental scale.

I'm afraid that your comment was either a little ignorant or naive (i'm assuming here that you don't buy into the pie in the eye thinking from Farage than not one negative effect will be had). I say this as somebody probably voting out too.

*Apologies for tagetting you specifically.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    What Obama said:

"I think it’s fair to say that maybe some point down the line there might be a UK-US trade agreement, but it’s not going to happen any time soon because our focus is in negotiating with a big bloc, the European Union, to get a trade agreement done. The UK is going to be in the back of the queue."

So basically, he admits there would be a UK-US trade agreement but is just shilling for the TTIP deal.

https://www.rt.com/uk/340605-ttip-obama-uk-visit/
    TTIP would be the deal we get anyway (perhaps with another name) simply because the two main states pushing for TTIP in Europe are the UK and Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    TTIP would be the deal we get anyway (perhaps with another name) simply because the two main states pushing for TTIP in Europe are the UK and Germany.
    Yeah, I don't get this. How naive do you have to be to think that leaving the EU would stop TTIP?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.