Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's prison like for first time petty offenders? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Youve already been told he's highly unlikely to get a prison sentence for a first offence. How many more threads are you going to start up on the subject. It was a coffee mug.
    the CPS have grounds for prosecution

ReputationRep:
    I give up.

There's a boat load of replies on your other thread from people telling you he won't get locked up for his first offence of stealing a coffee cup from a cafe. Now you want to sign him up to the Aryan Brotherhood(a prison gang in the USA not the UK).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhagwanNoBhool)
    I really don't think rape jokes are appropriate, especially on a student forum.
    Grow up.
    Rape isn't a joke. They're being serious. You will get raped in prison. The thread starter needs to know this.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    It's just because the local magistrates are making a crackdown on shoplifting and petty offenders and targets for custodial sentences are increased that's what the solicitor said after he did over the coffee shop that he could end up doing bird.
    weve explained to you on the other thread you started, its highly unlikely for a person in his position, considering the impact it will ahev ahd on his career anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Oh have a humour, as no victims of rape have been offended, as the joke does not apply to them
    I don't understand what's funny about someone being sexually violated against their will

ReputationRep:
    I can't find many resources on prison gangs but is it advisable for him to join a prison gang for protection?
    Lmfaooooo what are you even talking...prison gangs. He won't be locked up with gangs, he will be locked up if he even gets locked up with people with similar charges...anyone who steals mugs is a fruitcake so he will be with soft fruitcakes. Not those rough gangs you see on t.v.

He will probably just get community service.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the sentencing guidelines for the Magistrates in court.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...tober_2014.pdf

Look at page 103a for sentencing guidelines for a first time theft offence. Then see if there are any aggravating factors.

Your friend will be given a sentence within those guidelines. Less if he's pleading guilty.

Hope this helps,

SS

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to believe that this "friend" is you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what's funny about someone being sexually violated against their will

Firstly most prisoners have put themselves in that position, I mean if you stay out of prison then you will not get raped.
    Prison rape occurs in hardcore prisons.

ReputationRep:
    If we couldn't laugh about anything which caused harm to others, we wouldn't be able to laugh much at all.

ReputationRep:
    "5) What items should he take into prison? Will he be allowed his tablet which has most his coursework on?

6) What will happen if he misses university field work and exams due to being in prison?"

Only on TSR...

(Also what sort of total troglodyte not only does but also saves work on a tablet :P )

ReputationRep:
    Firstly most prisoners have put themselves in that position, I mean if you stay out of prison then you will not get raped.
    So? Do you think that lowly of the justice system that prisoners being raped on top of their sentences is justifiable to you?
    Should we laugh at dead soldiers because they put themselves in that position? Or suicide victims because did so too?

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    (Also what sort of total troglodyte not only does but also saves work on a tablet :P )
    This. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I need to know what prison is like. A friend of mine is facing prison for stealing from a coffee shop. His sister who is my GF is petrified of what could happen to him, so to be in her good books I'm being a bit of a Miss Marple.
    If sent down:
    It's impossible to tell you much until we know where he is, which prison he's going to and what his sentence on what specific charge. He might go to an low security/open prison or he might not. Many prisons separate first time petty offenders from the rest of the population so he would be unlikely to meet anyone hugely dangerous if that were the case.

2) What are prison gangs like, his sister has told me about gangs like Arran Brotherhood and Lokz 10 boyz and Islamist gangs etc will he need to join a gang for survival in prison?
    This is Britain, not California. There are Islamist and racist gangs in certain prisons but I highly doubt a petty thief would encounter them.

3) Are all new inmates subject to hazing and initiation?
    No, its prison not a US fraternity. People will sound him out and probably try to solicit him for money, contraband and sexual favours if they think he is a soft touch, they might try to steal stuff if he has anything valuable also (assuming it's a halfway secure prison and not a first time offender unit as I say).

6) What will happen if he misses university field work and exams due to being in prison?
    He has to check that with his Uni. It's possible that because he's in prison due to his own actions they will not be very lenient.

7) Are inmates pressurised inti getting prison tattoos?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    No. Prison tattoos are not a big thing in the UK, excepting for some long term offenders and neo-Nazis who get them to show their identity.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the movie Starred Up... Idk how accurate it is though

ReputationRep:
    I can't find many resources on prison gangs but is it advisable for him to join a prison gang for protection?
    'prison gangs ' is a US phenomena, again there;s loads of good information on what uK prisons are like on the internet

ReputationRep:
    Prison Rape is extremely rare in the UK prison system ... it seems that the OP is firstly vastly overblowingthe chance of prison for the offence ... and secondly believes HMPS is anything like the fictional representation of prisons in the US. ...

ReputationRep:
    So? Do you think that lowly of the justice system that prisoners being raped on top of their sentences is justifiable to you?
    Should we laugh at dead soldiers because they put themselves in that position? Or suicide victims because did so too?

I never said it was justifiable, but it is a funny thing to joke about, I mean have a sense of humour, laughing is good for you.
    No need to go left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    Prison Rape is extremely rare in the UK prison system ... it seems that the OP is firstly vastly overblowingthe chance of prison for the offence ... and secondly believes HMPS is anything like the fictional representation of prisons in the US. ...

Thank you, man tsr members are very sensitive

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.