The Student Room Group

Stupid speed limits

Scroll to see replies

try driving with black box insurance LOL

atleast with these speed limits you dont have to follow them all the time, as long as you slow down for the cameras

and if youre smart about undercover police cars that wont be an issue either.
Original post by FireFreezer77
Let's go to the Autobahn!!!! Unlimited!!
But I think speed limits are good but annoying!
There are roads where it's clearly safer to go faster on!
Although my car will barely get to 80 on a motorway. Sitting in 5th at 3500rpm isn't terribly fun tbh.
But the thing that irritates me is the slow drivers! The ones who do 20/25 in a 30! Argh so annoying! I once got stuck behind someone doing 35 in a 60!!!! I nearly crashed into them, that was a scary experience!!!
But some speed limits should be increased because they're incredibly frustrating at times!
I love cars and Motorsport (I'm strongly against street racing though!) and wouldn't mind being able to push my car a bit more at times!

That's what track days are for.
Original post by XMaramena
That's what track days are for.

I know, but theres no point doing one in a 1.2L Fiat Grande Punto!
Its slow as ****!
Don't fix what is not broken.

There are loads of idiots on the roads who think speed = good driving.

Dickheads.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I know, but theres no point doing one in a 1.2L Fiat Grande Punto!
Its slow as ****!

Then you shouldn't be frustrated by not being able to "push your car". Sounds you'd be pushing it pretty hard just to get it on the M1 lol.

I have a fairly speedy car, but I'm not allowed to take it on tracks because it's a lease :frown:
Now THAT'S frustrating.
The thing is that we have become so good at building roads people think they are good at going fast. We aren't. Speed limits are designed to reduce risk. Cars might be getting safer and faster but our vision, reaction times, perception and emotions are still pretty fallible.

Plus check out some of the reasons why 80mph limits are good for the economy. Cars are pretty fuel efficient until you start going fast. In my little 1.2 petrol the difference between steady driving and running late driving is about 80 miles a tank (430 vs 350).
Original post by Quilverine
The thing is that we have become so good at building roads people think they are good at going fast. We aren't. Speed limits are designed to reduce risk. Cars might be getting safer and faster but our vision, reaction times, perception and emotions are still pretty fallible.

Plus check out some of the reasons why 80mph limits are good for the economy. Cars are pretty fuel efficient until you start going fast. In my little 1.2 petrol the difference between steady driving and running late driving is about 80 miles a tank (430 vs 350).

Good point - at 70, I'll generally be on around 55-65mpg. At 60, it'll be up past 80mpg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending