Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    Perhaps i wasn't clear D:
    i just asked have you ever had it since
    and
    the feeling of something watching over you sounds creepy.

does that make sense? idk
    I think you just replied to the wrong quote.

I haven't had any other experience other than that.

That's because it is! I guess I'm kinda scared of the dark because it feels as if someone is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezzBerry)
    Anyone have any experiences with sleep paralysis? I have minor incidents from a few years ago. I would wake up at (exactly) 3 AM, every night, for 2 weeks straight. I was able to move, but wouldn't. I didn't have a phone at this time, so would just close my eyes and try to sleep.

Also, just watched this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-UxBLOtRI

Would love to hear other stories.
    Hiya OP, yh I get it a lot. Mine is weird because I kind of anticipate it, stop it from happening and then it happens anyway. I often feel like screaming but I can't and I can't even move my mouth. Its scary and disturbing for me I even had it at the hospital once when I had to stay overnight. Scary af ngl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Hiya OP, yh I get it a lot. Mine is weird because I kind of anticipate it, stop it from happening and then it happens anyway. I often feel like screaming but I can't and I can't even move my mouth. Its scary and disturbing for me I even had it at the hospital once when I had to stay overnight. Scary af ngl.
    Anticipation is always terrible.

At the hospital? That's kinda weird and cool, at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    Anticipation is always terrible.

At the hospital? That's kinda weird and cool, at the same time!
    Its scary AF! A nurse noticed and went all wild. I don't remember what happened after that. Do you ever get anticipation?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Oh god yes, thought I was dying. Once I woke up and my face was stuck and my eyes opened but I couldn't move. Another time, I was in the car and I nodded off and my neck went forward and as I went to sleep, it got stuck and I couldn't move. It is so scary.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that's not scared of this? Like, it's happened so many times already and I know the outcome... It takes a while but eventually I'll be able to move.

GUYS IF THE JINN THAT GIVES ME SLEEP PARALYSIS READS THIS I'M DEAD

ReputationRep:
    I went through a brief period practising self induced lucid dreaming, which would occasionally result in sleep paralysis. The first time it was pretty nerve wracking and my accelerated heart beat and adrenaline forced me out of it but after that I'd focus on controlling my heart rate and relaxing my muscles which would usually just send me back to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me loads last year. One time there was a girl sat on my chest, trying to choke me. That wasn't the worst one, though, because she didn't look very scary (but it was scarring.) Other times there have been people standing beside my bed, wearing weird, scary masks. Mostly it was just people standing beside my bed or approaching me. I wouldn't be able to wake up. I'd toss and turn in the bed, but my eyes wouldn't open. I'd make noises, think I probably spoke a few times, not sure, though.

I would wake up and screaming and run out of the room kind of unconsciously when I came round from it.

It hasn't happened recently. I think it was because of stress of last year, coupled with my mental illness. Now I'm feeling the same way, though, so it'll probably start up again

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in paranormal stuff.
    So many people are captivated by all this irrationality and nonsense.
    Isn't it possible that your mind is just malfunctioning during sleep paralysis ?
    I've experienced it as well. Yes it's creepy I know. You can't move, can't breath well , you might see strange things.
    I thought I saw a bright full moon although when I woke up after the sleep paralysis(can't tell how long it was) the sky was cloudy and I couldn't even find the moon. I thought I was so near to death as well.My bedroom was full of white waves or something like that , everything was blurry and moving my arm was never more difficult.
    BUT there is a rational explanation for my sleep paralysis. I was very ,I mean very anxious in that period.
    I had the worst headaches ever and although I was less than 17 I had high blood pressure.
    The worst month of my life , that's when it happened.
    Sleep paralysis is correlated with anxiety,depression and a number of other reasons .
    Therefore it's caused by our own psychology .
    Nothing paranormal , it's just your own brain which many people underestimate of what it's capable of.
    The most terrifying and creepy place in the entire universe might be inside your own brain.

ReputationRep:
    Its scary AF! A nurse noticed and went all wild. I don't remember what happened after that. Do you ever get anticipation?
    It must have been weird since it was a completely different environment.

How do you mean? I hate the processing of starting to do something. Like, going downstairs alone, the worst part is starting to go down the stairs where you anticipate what will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    I don't believe in paranormal stuff.
    So many people are captivated by all this irrationality and nonsense.
    Isn't it possible that your mind is just malfunctioning during sleep paralysis ?
    I've experienced it as well. Yes it's creepy I know. You can't move, can't breath well , you might see strange things.
    I thought I saw a bright full moon although when I woke up after the sleep paralysis(can't tell how long it was) the sky was cloudy and I couldn't even find the moon. I thought I was so near to death as well.My bedroom was full of white waves or something like that , everything was blurry and moving my arm was never more difficult.
    BUT there is a rational explanation for my sleep paralysis. I was very ,I mean very anxious in that period.
    I had the worst headaches ever and although I was less than 17 I had high blood pressure.
    The worst month of my life , that's when it happened.
    Sleep paralysis is correlated with anxiety,depression and a number of other reasons .
    Therefore it's caused by our own psychology .
    Nothing paranormal , it's just your own brain which many people underestimate of what it's capable of.
    The most terrifying and creepy place in the entire universe might be inside your own brain.
    I never blamed it on the paranormal?

Its quite logical to think that its all in your head whilst not going through sleep paralysis. However, when you're in the moment, it feels like a completely different story.

ReputationRep:
    It must have been weird since it was a completely different environment.

How do you mean? I hate the processing of starting to do something. Like, going downstairs alone, the worst part is starting to go down the stairs where you anticipate what will happen.
    As in do you feel half awake and feel like you're going to experience it? Please say you do, I don't want to be the only one :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Oh god yes, thought I was dying. Once I woke up and my face was stuck and my eyes opened but I couldn't move. Another time, I was in the car and I nodded off and my neck went forward and as I went to sleep, it got stuck and I couldn't move. It is so scary.

I've never felt as if I was dying. That must have been terrible.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    Am I the only one that's not scared of this? Like, it's happened so many times already and I know the outcome... It takes a while but eventually I'll be able to move.

GUYS IF THE JINN THAT GIVES ME SLEEP PARALYSIS READS THIS I'M DEAD

When you're going to sleep tonight, remember: there is a Jinn watching you!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Save.Me)
    It happened to me loads last year. One time there was a girl sat on my chest, trying to choke me. That wasn't the worst one, though, because she didn't look very scary (but it was scarring.) Other times there have been people standing beside my bed, wearing weird, scary masks. Mostly it was just people standing beside my bed or approaching me. I wouldn't be able to wake up. I'd toss and turn in the bed, but my eyes wouldn't open. I'd make noises, think I probably spoke a few times, not sure, though.

I would wake up and screaming and run out of the room kind of unconsciously when I came round from it.

It hasn't happened recently. I think it was because of stress of last year, coupled with my mental illness. Now I'm feeling the same way, though, so it'll probably start up again

Oh my god. Lol. I don't know how I'd deal with **** like that.

ReputationRep:
    As in do you feel half awake and feel like you're going to experience it? Please say you do, I don't want to be the only one :erm:

Oh no, you're all alone on that one! I thought you meant general anticipation.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I've never felt as if I was dying. That must have been terrible.
    **** scary. I don't get it as often but now it takes me ages to fall asleep, I hate to wait to fall asleep, I just get really tired and then sleep.

ReputationRep:
    **** scary. I don't get it as often but now it takes me ages to fall asleep, I hate to wait to fall asleep, I just get really tired and then sleep.
    I haven't had any sleep problem, lately. Only thing that's been keeping me up is TSR!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I haven't had any sleep problem, lately. Only thing that's been keeping me up is TSR!
    Me too, I sometimes daydream about the website. I don't even go on here for study help!

ReputationRep:
    Me too, I sometimes daydream about the website. I don't even go on here for study help!
    Oh no? What do you come on here for, then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Happened to me once and hopefully never again I saw a man come into the room and he tried to stand on my chest so I tried to move but couldn't and omg it was so scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Happened to me once and hopefully never again I saw a man come into the room and he tried to stand on my chest so I tried to move but couldn't and omg it was so scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds terrifying. Do you remember anything about said 'man'?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.