Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    I'm not sure what type of engineering I'll be doing, My college doesn't do Btec engineering but I could move to a college where they do but that could take me another year so I'll probably just stay at my college. My college is quite good at artsy subjects so I'll likely get a Distinction or Distinction*. And it'll be quite easy as I have friends in the subject I'll be doing so they can always help me out if I'm stuck. I don't know what degree I want to do? But it will likely be related to futuristic technology. And thanks. 🙂
    Ahh fair enough, yeah don't bother moving colleges, im sure the BTEC with FM and CS will be good then

Maybe have a look at the following courses:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...ering#overview - Distinction + A (Maths), B (Physics)

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...gence#overview

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduat...nanotechnology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Ahh fair enough, yeah don't bother moving colleges, im sure the BTEC with FM and CS will be good then

Maybe have a look at the following courses:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...ering#overview - Distinction + A (Maths), B (Physics)

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...gence#overview

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduat...nanotechnology
    Thanks a lot. 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Thanks a lot. 🙂
    Are you applying for maths? If not, then you don't need to do STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Are you applying for maths? If not, then you don't need to do STEP.
    Probably not but I'd like to do it for the challenge aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Thanks a lot. 🙂
    No worries, all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Probably not but I'd like to do it for the challenge aspect.
    Fair enough - do note that in that process you're going to have to put in a lot of work for STEP which means focusing less on your A-Levels, be careful to not let it cost you your uni place.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough - do note that in that process you're going to have to put in a lot of work for STEP which means focusing less on your A-Levels, be careful to not let it cost you your uni place.
    oh I'm probably not going to put in a lot of work. I'll just turn up for the exam and maybe just do some past papers for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    oh I'm probably not going to put in a lot of work. I'll just turn up for the exam and maybe just do some past papers for it.
    I don't see the point of doing it, in that case. But, meh. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point of doing it, in that case. But, meh. :erm:
    I guess you're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    I guess you're right.
    If you want a challenge, why don't you start learning some engineering mathematics in your summer between A-Levels and university. There are a good many books you can buy off amazon cheaply that get really in depth into engineering mathematics and will serve you well for your course.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a challenge, why don't you start learning some engineering mathematics in your summer between A-Levels and university. There are a good many books you can buy off amazon cheaply that get really in depth into engineering mathematics and will serve you well for your course.
    I'll do that next summer, it'll be beneficial. Thanks for the help. I'll probably leave the step out now. As it will just waste my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Yeah I see what you mean
    some unis don't accept anything but A-levels, just because they are assessed differently.

Also, unis don't always mind AS retakes, so don't panic if you don't do well this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    some unis don't accept anything but A-levels, just because they are assessed differently.

Also, unis don't always mind AS retakes, so don't panic if you don't do well this year!
    Oh okay, so if I do 2 A levels and 3 AS levels and a level 3 Btec would they let me then because that seems like enough UCAS points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    So having 2 A2s, and seperate 3As with a level 3 Btec wouldn't be enough UCAS points to get in. Will I need to complete a 3rd a level.
    Only the bad universities have a certain amount of UCAS points as entry requirements. The better unis just ask for A Level grades (e.g. AAB).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Only the bad universities have a certain amount of UCAS points as entry requirements. The better unis just ask for A Level grades (e.g. AAB).
    Okay I'll just complete a 3rd A level
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    So I'm currently studying mei maths, ocr chemistry and edexcel physics all at as level. I'm planning to drop chemistry and carry on with maths and physics. Along with these 2 I would like to do as level further maths and computer science. I would also love to do the whole Btec 3D Design in one year I'm not exactly sure how this will work out. But I'm just wondering about the work load and everything. I will probably be doing step 1 and/or step 2 as I would like to get into University of Birmingham or Warwick University in September of 2017. Any help will much appreciated.
    Definitely don't bother with STEP if you are considering engineering. It's completely unnecessary and won't benefit your application. (Unless you are seriously considering Cambridge.) It needs a lot of prep work to do well at it.

If you are strong at maths, FM is more than sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Definitely don't bother with STEP if you are considering engineering. It's completely unnecessary and won't benefit your application. (Unless you are seriously considering Cambridge.) It needs a lot of prep work to do well at it.

If you are strong at maths, FM is more than sufficient.

It would also be better to have 3 good A-Levels. Can you keep Chemistry to A-Level and do FM AS-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I can keep chemistry till A2 and I'm pretty sure do as further maths as well. So I think I'll be fine when I apply to universities. Do you think I should do computer science as it will help me with modules like math lab in university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    Oh okay, so if I do 2 A levels and 3 AS levels and a level 3 Btec would they let me then because that seems like enough UCAS points
    It depends entirely on the Uni... some don't care about grades and just UCAS points, others care more about grades than UCAS points. But 3 A-levels isn't that much more work than a Btec and 2 Levels, just more in one go.

The Unis you're looking at applying to, warwick and birmingham, are ones that will prefer a-levels over Btecs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    It depends entirely on the Uni... some don't care about grades and just UCAS points, others care more about grades than UCAS points. But 3 A-levels isn't that much more work than a Btec and 2 Levels, just more in one go.

The Unis you're looking at applying to, warwick and birmingham, are ones that will prefer a-levels over Btecs.
    thanks, I definitely now know that I'm going to be doing maths A2, Chemistry A level, Physics A level and Computer Science AS and FM AS next year. And I wanted to ask does the as chem and as physics exam grades count towards anything other than university predicted grades. As the whole a level exam in two years time will override the AS as it will come the whole 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    thanks, I definitely now know that I'm going to be doing maths A2, Chemistry A level, Physics A level and Computer Science AS and FM AS next year. And I wanted to ask does the as chem and as physics exam grades count towards anything other than university predicted grades. As the whole a level exam in two years time will override the AS as it will come the whole 2 years.
    No, with the new A-level structure, I believe the AS exams (apart from where the syllabus hasn't yet changed, like in maths) is worth nothing..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Forgive me if i'm wrong, but this is what I was given the impression of in my final year of A2 when discussing the changes with teachers

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.