Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want go Uni, but how when have roots? Nothing local Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you are single could you move to be nearer your preferred uni? Or arrange to stay somewhere local during term time (Mon-Fri)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am 51 years old and already have a primary degree. I have worked for 30 years in a well paid job and simply needed a change of direction.

My wife has a very well paid job and is very understanding and supportive. We have paid off our mortgage and have a fair amount of savings set aside. Nor do we have children so there are no university fees there!

In reality I will be semi-retired and my degree subject is really my passion. On graduating I may also consider undertaking a post graduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you already have a degree why not go straight to postgrad? You could most likely do a masters as distance leaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My primary degree is in Law which I took purely for career reasons. I think that I've exhausted my interest there! My passion, however, is for Classics so instead I've decided to pursue that. Depending on how I get on I may well follow that up with postgraduate study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemb)
    This might sound like a dumb question, but how do mature students go to Uni in a practical sense?

I want to do a degree (science with QTS for teaching), but Uni's are other end of the country etc, and us mature students (im 42) cant just up sticks and move or stay in student halls etc?

Mature students tend to have families and roots, houses etc. I just wanted to hear some experiences from yourselves and others on how they have done a degree.

I am single again currently, so if i study then mortgage and bills need paying, sure i can get student finance for courses etc. And "if" i could still stay at home i can earn a little part time work. But if only degrees i can find that suit my needs are 200miles+ away from home i dont know how id go about doing a degree..
    Sibling went to uni at 27 from London to another city and ended up in halls there. Paid for mortgage etc, by renting the house out whilst receiving the maintenance grant (of course we now have to pay it back as a loan!) for student halls. Partner was back in London - I recall lots of driving back on weekends!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.