Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Why I came out to President Obama before I told my parents" Watch

ReputationRep:
    ****ing stupid stuff like this seems to be gaining traction in England.
    We really are becoming more like Sweden as each day passes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Okay so hold the **** up what is the difference between sex/gender, I assumed gender referred to masculine vs feminine and sex = biologically male or female.

By the definition I understand you literally cannot be ****ing genderless. You can be both (androgynous) but you can't be none wtf I don't get this **** anymore.

I don't understand any of this ****.
    Yeah, I think it's confusing to most people.

From what I understand, gender is how you feel and sex is how you're born.

I was born male and I "feel" male. She, or should I say 'they', doesn't "feel" male or female but was clearly born a woman.

Androgynous is not being both, I don't think. Androgynous is being a feminine-looking guy... a guy that could easily be mistaken for a woman. Or vice versa.

There's also gender-fluid which means you swap gender every once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to rustle any jimmies but transgenderism and non-binary are mental disorders.

ReputationRep:
    Just take down tumblr. It all started from Tumblr.

Wait ...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  682px-Hermaphroditus_lady_lever.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  68.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    Another stupid term. She can call her self whatever dumb word she wants to, but I'll continue to call her a woman if she looks like one.
    Go back to the 1950s or get with the program and accept not everyone is like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodle0)
    Don't want to rustle any jimmies but transgenderism and non-binary are mental disorders.
    Is homosexuality?

ReputationRep:
    A mental disorder is one that leads to pain.

It's pathetic that people who disagree with something always resort to "it's mental disorder".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    She is still one person - the right pronoun would be "it", which is neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Languages student here! :wavey:

The correct gender-neutral pronoun group would actually be they/them/their/theirs.

Not going to pass comment on the actual subject matter though

ReputationRep:
    Lol this is getting ridiculous. All these 'gender identities' and now this as well. Personally, I'm just going to say one thing- if you have a penis, you're a man. If you have a vagina, you're a woman.

ReputationRep:
    A mental disorder is one that leads to pain.

It's pathetic that people who disagree with something always resort to "it's mental disorder".
    Yeah I agree. Wanting to remain in the EU is a mental disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. Wanting to remain in the EU is a mental disorder.
    Apparently your birth was so too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Languages student here! :wavey:

The correct gender-neutral pronoun group would actually be they/them/their/theirs.

Not going to pass comment on the actual subject matter though
    Interesting... "They" with a singular meaning? Surely a new word is needed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Interesting... "They" with a singular meaning? Surely a new word is needed.
    This has been in English for a long time! I believe it was defunct for a while. But its roots are deeply embedded. Many other languages have gender-neutral pronouns as the they form too. I'd never refer to someone as 'it' though, that would be extremely rude imo :yep:

Language is weird

i.e. "How are they?" as opposed to "How is she?". "They're fine" as opposed to "She's fine". etc. etc..

ReputationRep:
    She identified as non-binary because she's unattractive to both genders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    This has been in English for a long time! I believe it was defunct for a while. But its roots are deeply embedded. Many other languages have gender-neutral pronouns as the they form too. I'd never refer to someone as 'it' though, that would be extremely rude imo :yep:

Language is weird

i.e. "How are they?" as opposed to "How is she?". "They're fine" as opposed to "She's fine". etc. etc..
    Meh... well, it is rude in a sense, but then again it is neutral (which does cover the topic at hand...)

In any case, if this topic comes up again, especially in person, I'll simply use the person's name repeatedly (even if it gets boring) :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Meh... well, it is rude in a sense, but then again it is neutral (which does cover the topic at hand...)

In any case, if this topic comes up again, especially in person, I'll simply use the person's name repeatedly (even if it gets boring) :P
    Best thing for it I think
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I took the BBC to be having one of those complete the sentence competitions:

Why I came out to President Obama before I told my parents

My answer:

Because I wanted to feature on the front page of the BBC website and value that more than speaking to my parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Go back to the 1950s or get with the program and accept not everyone is like you.
    The 1950s were good times. So calm down and stop being a social justice warrior.

ReputationRep:
    Why would she even bother coming out as "non-binary"? It's not like it's even a real thing.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is that there are a lot of new sexuality/gender types already, is she one of those? I mean from the description non-binary sounds the same as being agender, so she's agender right? Couldn't she use that phrase and quickly define it, because it seems easier to use than "non-binary", or is "non-binary" an all encompassing term for none "normal" gender self recognition and being agender is one example?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.