Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Neighbours killed my rabbit Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venusian Visitor)
    Killing mice is not a crime but killing rabbits is? One law for the cute another for the not so cute.
    No, it's because one is a pet owned by someone and one is a wild living pest. You are perfectly within your rights to kill a wild rabbit (or mouse) through legal means, but I'm pretty sure a pet one would be different and have some protections.

Also note that there are restrictions on how you use poison which may not have been met here (leaving aside the fact that they're killing a pet rabbit which is probably illegal in itself). Poisons generally have to be in something secure to prevent non target species entering (like how rat poison is used in those secure boxes) - I have a feeling just leaving poison out in the open (which appears to be the case here) would break some sort of law somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    So sorry to hear about your rabbit. My rabbit gets out into the neighbours garden sometimes too but they've kindly brought him back a few times when he's taking his time making his own way back. Such a shame that mitten's life had to end like that
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Design pantries?
    my phone decided to act funny. You're fast because I edited that post probably less than a minute after I left it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    Good. Your pet was causing them nuisance and they had the right to protect their property.
    protect their property - yes.

But no decent person does not give warning first.

They should have first spoken to the owner. A solution is then easily avaliable, of fencing off that part of their boarder (on the owners side, and at the owners expense ofcourse) - if the only then refuses to do anything about it, and still lets their animal destroy the garden, then fine.. take action.

But to kill a pet without warning or talking about the problem first is never the right, or a good thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    protect their property - yes.

But no decent person does not give warning first.

They should have first spoken to the owner. A solution is then easily avaliable, of fencing off that part of their boarder (on the owners side, and at the owners expense ofcourse) - if the only then refuses to do anything about it, and still lets their animal destroy the garden, then fine.. take action.

But to kill a pet without warning or talking about the problem first is never the right, or a good thing to do.
    Unfortunately the owner is on the wrong side of the law on this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont think I mentioned the law..

Just what in my mind is right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry.
    I would, like somebody else mentioned, report this to 101.
    If you had documents for that rabbit, it is your property so, I quote, "owners enjoy the right of legal protection and recourse if their pet is stolen or wilfully hurt or injured"
    If you have any witnesses in this case, that would also help.
    Like somebody else said, I would go back to them and record them. I'd personally do this:
    Because you can't ask them again the same question without raising any doubt, just go to them saying where the fence was open "to fix it". When you're there ask where the rabbit made damage, and just casually ask where did they put the poison; because they're unaware of what you're doing, they will tell you and you can go with that recording to the police.

Like somebody else said, this will not get your rabbit back, but it will cause some degree of damage to your neighbours. In the same way your rabbit couldn't mess with their flowers, they can't mess with you.

4 years a go, in my neighbourhood a ******* brutally killed a stray puppy that kept coming around our block howling. I had just come from a holiday with my parents (otherwise I would have sheltered it and sent it to adoption), when we saw the puppy with its skull crushed in the middle of the parkway. I went straight to a couple of my friends, who knew what happened, and the luck struck me that I had my ipod and the son of a **** was just coming out of the block. I immediately put my ipod on record as I heard him mumbling, and after overhearing us he said "yes, I killed that ******* with my car. He was sleeping under my wheel and I got in the car and turned it around, and so nice was his last weak squeal". After hearing that, I went to his car and blood was still on the wheels. I took a picture with his car, and persuaded a couple of neighbours to go to the police with me. He got 6 months in prison for wilfully killing an animal.

ReputationRep:
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I dont think I mentioned the law..

Just what in my mind is right or wrong.
    It is irrelevant. The law is the only thing at matters in this case.

ReputationRep:
    It is irrelevant. The law is the only thing at matters in this case.
    Whether I think its right or wrong, Is actually very relivant to a post about whether I think it is right or wrong..

And the law is really not relivant, to a post that is not about whether the law thinks its right or wrong.

Infact if you go back to my first post on this thread, I mentioned how going down the law route would do nothing - and advocated that the OP deals with this them self, rather then getting the police/lawyers pointlessly involved.

So to summerise: I agree with you - but your point bares no relivance to the actual post you quoted, which was not about the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venusian Visitor)
    One law for the cute another for the not so cute.
    Such is life. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    I'm really sorry.
    I would, like somebody else mentioned, report this to 111.
    If you had documents for that rabbit, it is your property so, I quote, "owners enjoy the right of legal protection and recourse if their pet is stolen or wilfully hurt or injured"
    If you have any witnesses in this case, that would also help.
    Like somebody else said, I would go back to them and record them. I'd personally do this:
    Because you can't ask them again the same question without raising any doubt, just go to them saying where the fence was open "to fix it". When you're there ask where the rabbit made damage, and just casually ask where did they put the poison; because they're unaware of what you're doing, they will tell you and you can go with that recording to the police.

Like somebody else said, this will not get your rabbit back, but it will cause some degree of damage to your neighbours. In the same way your rabbit couldn't mess with their flowers, they can't mess with you.

4 years a go, in my neighbourhood a ******* brutally killed a stray puppy that kept coming around our block howling. I had just come from a holiday with my parents (otherwise I would have sheltered it and sent it to adoption), when we saw the puppy with its skull crushed in the middle of the parkway. I went straight to a couple of my friend, who knew what happened, and the luck struck me that I had my ipod and the son of a **** was just coming out of the block. I immediately put my ipod on record as I heard him mumbling, and after overhearing us he said "yes, I killed that ******* with my car. He was sleeping under my wheel and I got in the car and turned it around, and so nice was his last weak squeal". After hearing that, I went to his car and blood was still on the wheels. I took a picture with his car, and persuaded a couple of neighbours to go to the police with me. He got 6 months in prison for wilfully killing an animal.
    Well played

ReputationRep:
    He was just eating some flowers, why would they think that is was okay to kill him. Gross disgusting people.

ReputationRep:
    that's really sad poor rabbit

ReputationRep:
    Pick all their flowers and pour salt all over the soil after

Inspired by Homer Simpson..

ReputationRep:

poor rabbit

Oh my God I am so so sorry you and Mittens had to go through that. Reading this thread has made me feel very angry and upset:cry: Your neighbours are evil. Pure evil. They could have put down chicken wire to stop Mittens getting through. Why did they have to put down poison?!?!:cry2: I feel sick; that's disgusting and evil. What sort of people would do such a horrible thing? I am so so sorry for your loss. Mittens is in rabbit heaven now:sadnod: He is ok:cry: RIP Mittens

(Original post by m_james)
    Sneak into their garden at night and destroy all of the flowers left over that Mittens didn't eat.

Justice for Mittens the Rabbit!
    PLEASE OP do this. PLEASE destroy all the flowers. Sweet revenge and justice for Mittens:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I would declare war, block parking space, put loud music on, vandalize their house, be horrible to them, tell people how horrible they are, the law isn't going to help you because it's fine to kill animals.

I think you should destroy their garden.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    Good. Your pet was causing them nuisance and they had the right to protect their property.
    Some mesh could easily have sorted the problem out had OP been made aware (it appears these other people didn't bother to tell OP that this rabbit had got into their garden). Poisoning someone's pet rabbit for eating some flowers is not an action of a reasonable person. Especially when it being a pet would have to be pretty obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are questions to be asked about exactly how the poison was used. I'm pretty sure leaving rodent poison out in the open to kill someone's pet is illegal. That's why you get rat poison being used in those secure black boxes with small holes in either side, rather than it just being dumped on the ground where anything can get at it. I'm not even sure you're allowed to use poison for wild rabbits, though I'm not that familiar with the law anymmore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    I would ring the non-emergency Police number, 111, and report this.
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    I'm really sorry.
    I would, like somebody else mentioned, report this to 111.
    FYI folks, 111 is the number for NHS Direct, non emergency medical help.

101 is the number for police.

And whatever you do, don't ring 112.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.