ReputationRep:
    I HOPE it'll be this:

GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton

DF: smalling, cahill, stones, jagielka, walker, rose, clyne, bertrand

MF: Drinkwater, alli, dier, lallana, barkley, noble

FW: Rooney, sturridge, sterling, kane, vardy, welbeck

Standby: Foster, Cresswell, shawcross, milner, lingard, carroll, defoe

ReputationRep:
    hart, forster, heaton, walker, clyne, rose, simpson , jagielka, smalling, lascelles, cresswell, dier, drinkwater, alli, noble, walcott, lallana, welbeck, townsend, rooney, kane, vardy, sturridge,

As a starting 11: Hart, walker, smalling, lascelles, rose, drinkwater, dier, alli, welbeck, townsend, kane, vardy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by DJKL)
    I think Henderson will not go, I doubt he will be match fit. Given it appears Rooney is possibly now more filling a midfield slot rather than a forward slot (Have no issue with this as the more players that can play through balls to Vardy and Kane the better-Rooney can pass a ball) , if I wanted a squad with more choices re approach (especially in last 15-20 minutes) I would give the extra front spot this creates to Carroll- there will be matches where the Vardy/Kane approach will not work and it may be the longer ball launched in/corners will be the weapon of last resort.

Going into international tournaments without the ability to change approach as circumstances dictate could be the difference between progressing and coming home- I would wish to have the option for variety even if not used.
    He won't be match fit but you know what Hodgson is like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oxlade-Chamberlain ruled out, though admittedly, he was unlikely to have been taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain ruled out, though admittedly, he was unlikely to have been taken.
    He's dropped off massively this season, shame because he looked like one of England's best young players at one point (that goal at the Maracana against Brazil being a particular highlight).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    Deadline for squads to be submitted to Uefa is just under a month away so who would you be picking?
    I'll go first (England)

GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton
    DF: Clyne, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Stones, Shawcross, Rose, Cresswell
    MD: Sterling, Milner, Dier, Drinkwater, Alli, Barkley, Lallana, Townsend
    FW: Rooney, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge

Stand by list (7): Ruddy (only other keeper I could think of), Jagielka, Bertrand, Noble, Lingard, Carroll, Defoe

Injured/won't be fit: Butland, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Henderson, Welbeck
    -----
    Will probably get slated for putting Townsend in there but he's played well for Newcastle since he's joined, has also put in good performances for England in the past, we're short of left footers and he offers natural width.
    Drop Rooney, pick Defoe.

Every single game Rooney has played in this season he's look a shadow of his former self. More often than not he looks unable to keep up with the pace of the game, rarely creates chances for himself, rarely creates chances for others, is no longer capable of leading the line and being relied upon to carve out chances for himself and others but also isn't capable of doing a good enough job either in midfield or as a deep lying forward.

On the other hand Defoe is looking back to his best, is one of the most natural finishers that this nation has had in a long time and while he's not a player who is going to get involved in a lot of link up play with others you know that if you get the ball to him anywhere in the box he's going to create a chance to shoot and on current form it doesn't take many chances before he finds the back of the net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Wilshere will go.
    If he does then it will be one of the worst decisions made by an England manager in the last two decades.

There's no doubt that when he's fit and in form he's a great player but the fact of the matter is that he is a man who has played a grand total of 72 minutes of first team football this season and no matter how good a player is there is no justification at all picking somebody who has had that little game time over any one of the number of healthy and in form midfielders that we have in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    He won't be match fit but you know what Hodgson is like.
    What are the odds that he picks Wilshere to go on the back of his outstanding 72 minutes of football this season...

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere HAS to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Drop Rooney, pick Defoe.

Every single game Rooney has played in this season he's look a shadow of his former self. More often than not he looks unable to keep up with the pace of the game, rarely creates chances for himself, rarely creates chances for others, is no longer capable of leading the line and being relied upon to carve out chances for himself and others but also isn't capable of doing a good enough job either in midfield or as a deep lying forward.

On the other hand Defoe is looking back to his best, is one of the most natural finishers that this nation has had in a long time and while he's not a player who is going to get involved in a lot of link up play with others you know that if you get the ball to him anywhere in the box he's going to create a chance to shoot and on current form it doesn't take many chances before he finds the back of the net.
    I'd have Defoe on the standby list, I agree with you he's definitely been in good form for the whole season and if Sunderland stay up they'll owe pretty much all of that to Defoe's goals. He's still the same striker; direct, very good on the ball, a good finisher, good at penalties etc.
    I put Rooney there more in resignation that he'll be going to the Euro's and Roy will start him as a lone striker with Sterling and Lallana either side and Kane and Vardy will merely get sub appearances. I hope I'm proved wrong with that one though.

ReputationRep:
    john flanagan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Wilshere HAS to go
    Give me one good reason why he should go.

He's played less than 90 minutes of first team football this season, scored no goals, made no assists, hasn't taken a single shot, has won one header and has completed less than 80 passes in total.

How on earth could anybody justify picking a player who has so little match practice over any of the alternatives who are fit, playing regularly and in good form.

ReputationRep:
    Give me one good reason why he should go.

He's played less than 90 minutes of first team football this season, scored no goals, made no assists, hasn't taken a single shot, has won one header and has completed less than 80 passes in total.

How on earth could anybody justify picking a player who has so little match practice over any of the alternatives who are fit, playing regularly and in good form.
    he is the only player in our squad who is a 'spanish' style midfielder who can dribble, take balls in tight spaces, pass, shoot, and tackle. If he wasn't injury prone he'd be world class by now.

Oh, and he's won motm in 6/7 of his last 7 england games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    he is the only player in our squad who is a 'spanish' style midfielder who can dribble, take balls in tight spaces, pass, shoot, and tackle. If he wasn't injury prone he'd be world class by now.

Oh, and he's won motm in 6/7 of his last 7 england games.
    I'm not disputing he's a very good player when he is fit and inform.

However the fact of the matter is that right now he is neither fit nor in form.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disputing he's a very good player when he is fit and inform.

However the fact of the matter is that right now he is neither fit nor in form.
    I don't think you can make an argument about form- he looked very good on Sunday, and he's actually a very consistent performer when he does play (always at least a 6/10). Then he has extra special games, such as vs Slovenia last year.

Fitness-wise, I can see your point. However I have 2 counter points. Firstly, he's only going to get more fit over the next month, so he should be fine by the time that the euros start for proper. Also, international football is a slower pace and less physical, so he's less at risk.

ReputationRep:
    So announcement is now to be expected on Monday.

"England manager Roy Hodgson is delaying announcing his 23-man Euro 2016 squad until Monday to "better assess players' fitness" after the final round of Premier League fixtures."

What sort of reason is that...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Seems to me the only positions likely to be up for grabs is the centre of midfield.

Two from Henderson, Drinkwater and Wilshere will go, you imagine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.