The Student Room Group

What are some good conversation starters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kallisto
The possibilities to start conversations are huge. Here are some of them:

"Good morning, it is a nice/bad weather isn't it?"
"Hi, could it be that you are in the same xx-lesson like me?"
"Hi, I have seen your shirt, it seems that you are a great fan of xx too."
"It seems that you need some help, may I help you?"
"You are in the xx party, right? may I join?"
"Are at the xx university?"
"It seems that we are studying the same. Is it so interesting for you too?"
"I am new in this city, can you tell me where the xx is?"
"Are you new in this city/university? I have never seen you before."
"I like your (any garment). You are cutting a fine figure in it."

All those are good, except the last two (especially don't use the last one, that will just cause a mis-understanding).
What's it like to meet someone who has been on the Big Bang Theory?
Reply 22
If you find trying to talk to absolute strangers startling, try joining a club that interests you and then try making some friends there. It will be much less of a daunting task!
Reply 23
wait a minute Im getting really familiar vibes here, do you also happen to like cats?
Original post by Tarius
All those are good, except the last two (especially don't use the last one, that will just cause a mis-understanding).

They were just examples. Depending on situation, it may completely different to mine. Me for instance have known a person with a strange sounding voice, have ask questions about the reasons and became friends after that.
Original post by AutisticMew
One said that they can't cook so I left them.

The other three were females of African/Caribbean descent which is a lot easier due to my lack of attraction to them.

One could cook, one couldn't cook or bake, and one could do both.
I think I got the third one to have a tea party.
I also conversed with them about endocrinology a bit.

I really wonder what sort of cooking you were talking about ....
Original post by gwagon
If you find trying to talk to absolute strangers startling, try joining a club that interests you and then try making some friends there. It will be much less of a daunting task!

But to find common interests out, you have to talk first, have not you? without knowing common interests, it is difficult to find a club with those interests to join, am I right?
Original post by AutisticMew
I've come to realise that if I don't talk to people I'll be alone forever...

I don't really talk to other people because I get scared. I worry what they will think of me but once I talk to someone I get relaxed can be myself.

Females are worse because they're females. I have a lot of things that go up my head when I try to converse with one. I worry they may think I am only conversing with them because I am looking for sex or that I'm trying to "chat them up" which I don't do and I don't want sex. but they don't know that...

No one ever approaches me which I don't understand.

I've decided that I need to talk to other people as they won't talk to me.

I went up to 4 people yesterday and went "Hello, what do you like to cook and/or bake?" as I like to cook and bake and it's a way to start a conversation.

What are some other conversation starters I could use?

I feel the same as you OP, or felt anyway.
Iv accepted the fact I will be forever alone, and just live in my room.
I get an hour of exercise a day and thats it.
'are you on tsr? oh cool! me neither!' :ninja:
Reply 29
Original post by Kallisto
But to find common interests out, you have to talk first, have not you? without knowing common interests, it is difficult to find a club with those interests to join, am I right?

Don't try and find a 'common' interest. Find something you like and join a club or society which revolves around your interest. Don't join a club just because everyone does so!
Original post by gwagon
Don't try and find a 'common' interest. Find something you like and join a club or society which revolves around your interest. Don't join a club just because everyone does so!

Convinced! I can nothing say against your statement which is a good advice to facilitate starting a conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending