ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vardyparty98)
    no one survives

Spoiler:
    Show
    just

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    To get decent grades (in 'proper' subjects)
    You have to:
    - have no social life
    - play no games
    - work in all frees
    - work in all lessons
    - have a window near where you work so you don't get depressed from vitamin D deficiency. (You will not leave this work station unless at college).
    - make teachers tea/coffee if applicable to get them on your good side.
    - cheat where you can
    - practice the 8 hour sleep malarkey.
    - develop non-talking status with family members as they are just distractions.
    - purchase note-cards
    - find useful websites to aid your life (revision)
    but MOST OF ALL: be lucky

what subjects are you taking?
    Obviously you've exaggerated, but it's perfectly possible to get good grades at a level and still do normal things like playing games, seeing friends etc etc. Its always good to maintain a nice balance between work and relaxation, you will probably do better if you make sure you have enough time to do the things you enjoy

- Get off TSR whilst you can

- Take some medications like paracetamol/ibuprofen, like a mini first aid kit sort of thing. (Most people forget this and can be useful at times)

- always make the most of your frees, plan what you want to do the week before

- If you don't understand anything, ask your teacher for help.

- keep as organised as you can from the first day, keep your folders in check and update them often.

- Revise whilst you are getting taught the topic/subject to save yourself the mad rush at the end

- Make the most of the resources you have, apply for work experience, attend public lectures where you can, NCS, volunteering etc....

- It might be in your interest to do some extra reading. Now this could be looking at old artefacts or scriptures or even just watching the news to get up to date examples.

- Just have fun! You can still go out and do things that interest you outside of school.

- Most importantly, make sure you get a decent nights sleep and maintain a healthy diet so you're up and ready for the day ahead.

(That's all I could think of for now )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katodizzle)
    plz
    don't die,

ask questions when you don't understand,
    use time wisely and for studying not just for messing about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katodizzle)
    I wont find out until August but..
    For IB:
    Higher level: English Lit, History, Social & Cultural Anthropology
    Standard level: Maths studies, Japanese B and Biology
    I'm gonna do IB as well at Dartford Grammar School
    Higher Level - English, History,Business
    Standard - Maths Standard,French Ab-Nitio,Environmental Systems and Societies

ReputationRep:
    Watch every movie and read every book you want to before you start. If you want to go somewhere do it the holiday before. Enjoy life until you start so that you don't have so many regrets about not having the time to read the whole of War and Peace or do that Harry Potter movie marathon you and your friends always wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Don't cry infront of your teachers!!!! No matter how much coursework you've fallen behind on, no matter how close you are to the exams, no matter how much you're starting to feel like you might as well find a bin bag to live in just DON'T CRY INFRONT OF THEM!

Ofcourse that has never happened to me but....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    To get decent grades (in 'proper' subjects)
    You have to:
    - have no social life
    - play no games
    - work in all frees
    - work in all lessons
    - have a window near where you work so you don't get depressed from vitamin D deficiency. (You will not leave this work station unless at college).
    - make teachers tea/coffee if applicable to get them on your good side.
    - cheat where you can
    - practice the 8 hour sleep malarkey.
    - develop non-talking status with family members as they are just distractions.
    - purchase note-cards
    - find useful websites to aid your life (revision)
    but MOST OF ALL: be lucky

what subjects are you taking?
    Ughh so true - I have not yet mastered the art yet, have you?
    (Original post by thefatone)
    don't die,
    I agree ...

(Original post by TelAviv)
    m8 i be getting A*AA in proper subjects and still made it to 10th prestige on bo3
    lol only 10th prestige..

ReputationRep:
    More seriously though:

Use your frees

Make revision notes as you go along

If you don't understand ask straight away

Don't panic though, you'll get it eventually

If you are having problems with a topic, PREVISE (read ahead, try some past paper questions and then take it all to class/your teacher and ask them about it)

Plan your time, don't just spend equal amounts on all your subjects and be willing to sacrifice something in the short term (IE end of topic tests) when its all happening in the same week focus on one, don't try to be perfect for all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    lol only 10th prestige..
    bo3 only has 10 prestiges + master prestige noob
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My advice is try to avoid too many all-nighters. I've had to pull about 15 or so this year, so yeah try to avoid them. Also, quit every extra-curricular activity you do, you highly likely will not have time to do it, and it won't contribute to the only thing that matters, grades. I know it's hard but try not to drop under 5 hours sleep a day, as so many people do and it's not great (I know work can force you but just try eh). Caffeine is the best way to stay awake in class+concentrate, but don't rely on it.

Personally, the biggest help for me was cutting out time at dinner, I used to spend like an hour with my family until I realised it was taking up 1/4 of my time for work. Once I cut that down, I reduced the frequency of all-nighters and gained 20 minutes more sleep, which over the year really helped.

Also, try to get vitamin D or you will get depressed, it causes a lot of us to get a little worse as we don't see the sun much. Eat healthy, I went from an athlete doing international sport to 15kg heavier and extremely unhealthy this year, so try to avoid that XD.

You will get up to 4 tests a week, and when you do, focus on one. In sixth form you have to fail at others to learn something from one, and rotate it so you learn in all.

Right now due to exams I am avoiding familly as I assessed the situation and found I was wasting time by talking to them, and not working. This is up to you, if you can mentally handle it, but it really helped me.

(Original post by TelAviv)
    bo3 only has 10 prestiges + master prestige noob
    Yeah I was onna bout master level 1000

ReputationRep:
    Try not to die.

But seriously, make sure you know what you're going to learn before you turn up to the lesson, make notes throughout the year not just before the exams and get sleep - all nighters are the very last resort. Can really mess up your day.

ReputationRep:
    READ AHEAD AND DONT REPLY ON TEACHERS!! - Most of work you need to do yourself

ReputationRep:
    1. Do enough work in your subjects other than maths.

2. Have fun by doing maths.
    (Original post by cowie)
    I take it you didn't get a good grade in A-level physics. Glass blocks most UVB, required for vitamin D production.

ReputationRep:
    For Japanese (Hello fellow learner!): vocabulary - drill it every day for like 10 minutes. Practice using new grammar and find a speaking partner. Do not neglect kanji!
    Essay subjects - practice, practice, practice, and review the stuff you've learnt/consolidate it every half term. Feel free to talk to your teachers about the topic; they're normally really hyped to have enthusiastic students! Know your literature inside and out; don't bother with quotes as long as you can paraphrase closely.
    Most of all - enjoy your subjects and you'll almost automatically work hard at them! But make sure to keep on top of homework and consolidating your notes. And enjoy it: sixth form is a lot of work but it's also an incredible experience that's very gratifying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    - Get off TSR whilst you can

- Take some medications like paracetamol/ibuprofen, like a mini first aid kit sort of thing. (Most people forget this and can be useful at times)

- always make the most of your frees, plan what you want to do the week before

- If you don't understand anything, ask your teacher for help.

- keep as organised as you can from the first day, keep your folders in check and update them often.

- Revise whilst you are getting taught the topic/subject to save yourself the mad rush at the end

- Make the most of the resources you have, apply for work experience, attend public lectures where you can, NCS, volunteering etc....

- It might be in your interest to do some extra reading. Now this could be looking at old artefacts or scriptures or even just watching the news to get up to date examples.

- Just have fun! You can still go out and do things that interest you outside of school.

- Most importantly, make sure you get a decent nights sleep and maintain a healthy diet so you're up and ready for the day ahead.

(That's all I could think of for now )
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    For Japanese (Hello fellow learner!): vocabulary - drill it every day for like 10 minutes. Practice using new grammar and find a speaking partner. Do not neglect kanji!
    Essay subjects - practice, practice, practice, and review the stuff you've learnt/consolidate it every half term. Feel free to talk to your teachers about the topic; they're normally really hyped to have enthusiastic students! Know your literature inside and out; don't bother with quotes as long as you can paraphrase closely.
    Most of all - enjoy your subjects and you'll almost automatically work hard at them! But make sure to keep on top of homework and consolidating your notes. And enjoy it: sixth form is a lot of work but it's also an incredible experience that's very gratifying!
    Yeah I'm gonna work much harder at Japanese next year if I take it because it gets much harder at sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren1999)
    More seriously though:

Use your frees

Make revision notes as you go along

If you don't understand ask straight away

Don't panic though, you'll get it eventually

If you are having problems with a topic, PREVISE (read ahead, try some past paper questions and then take it all to class/your teacher and ask them about it)

Plan your time, don't just spend equal amounts on all your subjects and be willing to sacrifice something in the short term (IE end of topic tests) when its all happening in the same week focus on one, don't try to be perfect for all of them
    What a levels did you do and what were your grades?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.