Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Sorry, but if the op can't even get a 40% pass for his first year, which is after all the easiest year by far, what makes you think that he can get a first if he resits it?
    Because if he's missed (more than?) half his first term; so he has missed the most important part, that's bound to have affected his grade.

His posts are articulate, he reads and takes points well and his contributions are short and relevant.

If he repeats, he will get a chance to double-up on what he already knows and get a good grasp of what he's missed, thus better informing his existing understanding.
    I suspect we've all seen middling students get better grades than good students if they're the right side of the industry balance; I see no reason why that can't happen here.

Pace, I don't know the marking system at this uni - but I did very trad' courses where it nearly all went on the final exams and I've seen people I know do a complete volte-face for the better. If he's on a course where a restart is a clean slate, then a first is, indeed, possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iggy Pop)

I came to the website in search of if there was an answer to my question, I couldn't find one so I just decided to ask myself.
    This is not a proper sentence.

Well my course finishes in around 2 or 3 weeks and I have 3 assignments that needed to be done last week and still not finished them. That's why I have a strong feeling I'm going to fail.
    poor sentence construction

I came to the website in search of if there was an answer to my question, I couldn't find one so I just decided to ask myself.
    Poor use of English.

Actually Stychomythia i would beg to differ. The op clearly has difficulty with common English, answering his posts in short two or three sentences at most, and then only reflexive. Plus his poor construction of some of his sentences, and the fact that he values piss ups over going in to lectures, tells a lot about him, to me anyway.

I agree it is possible for him to turn it around. But first of all he needs to acknowledge that there is a problem, which rests at his feet. And until he takes responsibility for this fact, and commits to realistically stopping drinking and getting his head down, nothing is going to change. Sorry to break it to you in this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elleay)
    My friend actually works at Student Finance as a loans assessor and he said that it is indeed The length of your course +1 additional year. This is regardless of whether you've done two years at one university then quit and continued your studies elsewhere.

He'd definitely know the deal seeing as he works there and gets weekly training meetings!

Also I have a friend who did a year at Coventry, then a year somewhere else, and is now doing Psychology at my current uni.. she certainly doesn't pay the current tuition herself and she does go through SFE! :giggle:
    You are missing the vital element of that equation. Length of course + 1 year - years already taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    This is not a proper sentence.

poor sentence construction

Poor use of English.

Actually Stychomythia i would beg to differ. The op clearly has difficulty with common English, answering his posts in short two or three sentences at most, and then only reflexive. Plus his poor construction of some of his sentences, and the fact that he values piss ups over going in to lectures, tells a lot about him, to me anyway.

I agree it is possible for him to turn it around. But first of all he needs to acknowledge that there is a problem, which rests at his feet. And until he takes responsibility for this fact, and commits to realistically stopping drinking and getting his head down, nothing is going to change. Sorry to break it to you in this way.
    "I agree it is possible for him to turn it around." Then we agree. And as I didn't descend to particulars on how he would get there, I see little evidence for dispute.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.