Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bondioz)
    Okay.. did you take a science? I'm likely to drop History for one and I'm not sure which to pick from Chemistry or Biology. Maths seems essential, I'm good at, and love, English Lit, and Economics is so interesting, so I'm left with Chemistry, Biology or History (Art and Government and Politics too, but I'd rather not).
    I didn't take a science, as I was "so sure" I wanted to do English at University (I don't anymore, but I want to do a fairly humanities based subject, so it's okay).

Economics seems incredibly interesting, and paired with Maths, it seems like a good combination to have. Chemistry/Biology, either one will benefit you IMO, so pick which one you think you could do best in - perhaps look at the specification for both? Or whichever you enjoy the most! But do look into degree requirements too

Remember a lot of colleges/sixth forms can let you change subjects about a week in to Year 12 (mine did, check with yours), so it's not the end of the world if you start in September and hate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    What do you mean by Classical History? Classical Civilization? And Law A-Level is sometimes detrimental to a Law application to university, or so I've heard. If you're aiming for top universities then you may want more facilitating subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I mean classical civilization, but when I say classical civ to a lot of people they do not really understand.

From what I gathered if you go into a uni and say I did A level law therefore I know a ton about law they will disregard that, you need to go in with a fresh mind and willing to learn again.

About choosing more facilitating subjects any good ideas.
    A language is out of it, but I will be doing Dutch self study as I am looking to get into the oxford European law thing. but it is still a dream. In terms of maths I am ok but I am not good enough to do a level.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do History at GCSE, but the A-level exam board is AQA, English Lit is AQA I think as well!
    I didn't do History at GCSE either and I'm so nervous considering I haven't done the subject since year 9, but I'm determined to master it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twhiddy)
    I didn't do History at GCSE either and I'm so nervous considering I haven't done the subject since year 9, but I'm determined to master it!
    Im thinking of dropping it now ! Lit and History seems too much !

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of dropping it now ! Lit and History seems too much !
    Ah! I guess if you want to take a science based subject in Uni it'd be best I'm thinking of doing more of an arts subject to pursue in University, mainly because I'm passionate about writing! Go with whatever you enjoy but still consider what subjects would match what you need to get into a Uni course!

ReputationRep:
    Ah! I guess if you want to take a science based subject in Uni it'd be best I'm thinking of doing more of an arts subject to pursue in University, mainly because I'm passionate about writing! Go with whatever you enjoy but still consider what subjects would match what you need to get into a Uni course!
    I'm quite interested in Arts too, but which careers can you take up with an ENglish degree except for an english teacher?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in Arts too, but which careers can you take up with an ENglish degree except for an english teacher?
    I know, other than being an English teacher I have absolutely no clue what other careers I could enroll in. I was thinking if I enjoy History and take a genuine interest in it I could do a degree in History and go on into some kind of job in that department. English is a tough one to find solid jobs in and to be honest I'm struggling with thinking up anything else other than teaching, so maybe teaching will be my last resort - even if I'm not so fond of the idea.

ReputationRep:
    X
    X
    Because I wanted to study English at University, I researched a bit into what careers you could go into - which is a contributing factor as to why I don't want to study it anymore (also AS Level English Literature is destroying my soul )

Here's a small list of examples - there are more (some require further study):
    - Teacher
    - Editorial Assistant
    - Journalist
    - Librarian
    - Human Resources
    - Copywriter

As you can see, it's not a huge 'range' of jobs, and none of them pay the 'high wages' a lot of students seek. IMO, a STEM degree is a lot more valuable - without wanting to sound like a ****

ReputationRep:
    Maths is quite easy in terms of difficulty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Maths is quite easy in terms of difficulty
    What other a levels did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    What other a levels did you do?
    Further maths & Physics

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Do you know much about Chemistry or Biology? I'm considering changing History for either of them, due to 2 essay subjects not being at my height of interest
    Haha the funny thing is that I do both of them for A2! I would say if you're doing maths and enjoy it, then chemistry is definitely for you. It's very hard (particularly at A2 - obviously you'll be doing the new spec so I'm not sure what it will be like for you) but is definitely the most rewarding and has more people in it who do maths whereas biology, whilst sometimes interesting, is literally just route learning and gets boring and tedious fast.

ReputationRep:
    Deffo university, just not too sure what yet; Economics, a Science or an interesting degree such as Archaeology are just some of what I'd like to do with my future !
    Then you need to look NOW at what Universities require for the sort of courses you are interested in - grades and subjects. They will all be slightly different so look at a range of different Unis.

Also, read this TSR article - lots of sensible advice and important things to think about : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Yeah I mean classical civilization, but when I say classical civ to a lot of people they do not really understand.

From what I gathered if you go into a uni and say I did A level law therefore I know a ton about law they will disregard that, you need to go in with a fresh mind and willing to learn again.

About choosing more facilitating subjects any good ideas.
    A language is out of it, but I will be doing Dutch self study as I am looking to get into the oxford European law thing. but it is still a dream. In terms of maths I am ok but I am not good enough to do a level.
    Could you not do History or Geography instead of Law? Google the list of facilitating subjects and see what appeals to you, but honestly, from what I've heard, it's better to take another essay subject as opposed to Law. What about something like Psychology? Or even a Science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.