• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by asif007)
    Most book adaptations are actually really good: LOTR, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Divergent, Hunger Games etc.
    I'd say HG/Divergent were fine. As was Mortal Instruments. Although the Shadowhunters TV show is atrocious.

I hate Maze runner though (another YA movie adaptation). What do you think?
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Twilight
    Really??

I don't think the source was that good to begin with. My opinion was that the movies were acceptably faithful.

ReputationRep:
    Every film adapted from a game. Though I didn't mind the first Hitman too much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    A series of unfortunate events
    Let's hope the Netflix Series (starring NPH) is better :awesome:.

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Let's hope the Netflix Series (starring NPH) is better :awesome:.
    Omg omg omg OMG omg omg omg OMG !!!! How did I not know this????? I can't wait!!!! I love Neil!!!!!!

Hopefully it'll be good thanks for telling

ReputationRep:
    I'd say HG/Divergent were fine. As was Mortal Instruments. Although the Shadowhunters TV show is atrocious.

Really??

I don't think the source was that good to begin with. My opinion was that the movies were acceptably faithful.
    The acting was painful to watch. Was better in my head tbh

ReputationRep:
    the last airbender was so crap

ReputationRep:
    You've mentioned my number 1 which was Eragon. Absolutely awful film.

Unlike you, I actually did enjoy The last Airbender . Thought it was mediocre.

2. The Golden Compass

It lacked the controversy of the source material and the resultant movie was some terrible boring thing which fell flat. I felt like the magic of the book was lost. Definitely worth skipping.

3. The giver
    Fairly unfaithful to the book. Action added as well as a romance due to MC being aged up to 16 from 12.
    Oh god I had forgotten the Golden Compass, I thought it did a lot right. Ian Mckellen as Iorek was brilliant, but yeah how they got so much wrong was baffling. They cut the Northern Lights scene from the book called the Northern Lights FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Every film adapted from a game. Though I didn't mind the first Hitman too much
    This could be the year that changes.

Ratchet and Clank, Warcraft and Assassins Creed come out this year, plus they've just cast the woman from Ex Machina to play Lara Croft.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Village of the Damned remake. All of the intelligence of the original Midwich Cuckoos book (and the first film version) was taken out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    This could be the year that changes.

Ratchet and Clank, Warcraft and Assassins Creed come out this year, plus they've just cast the woman from Ex Machina to play Lara Croft.
    You're right, that's true.
    Warcraft is by a great director but not one with a lot of history, and that lass was great (and very attractive ) in Ex Machina
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Great Gatsby is up there tbh.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Tales from Earthsea. :yucky: I thought it was quite bad in its own right, before I read the Earthsea Quartet - after reading the books, it seemed thousands of times worse. Why blend the stories and characters together into a badly paced, incoherent mess when a straight adaptation of any of them would have made for fantastic viewing?
    What did you think of Dragon Ball Evolution :/ ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What did you think of Dragon Ball Evolution :/ ?
    Haven't watched it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The Bone Collector and Jack Reacher aka One Shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you will have difficulty beating a film called Murder at the Gallop based on an Agatha Christie novel called After the Funeral

Here are some behind the scenes clips from the faithful TV version with David Suchet as Poirot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_C4N8HjEjs

Here is the film Murder at the Gallop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHFkkkxaJw

with Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple dancing the jitterbug

ReputationRep:

I've never seen Mortal Instruments or Maze Runner. Never really felt the desire to watch them, haha.

Never heard of Shadowhunter either! Will Google it.

I did enjoy Stormbreaker, which was an adaptation of the first book in the Alex Rider series. Even though it did really badly I was hoping they would keep going and make sequels, but it looks like that's never going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    If you count comic book movies as adaptations, there's a few that were really bad:

Spoiler:
    Show

Constantine
    Blade Trinity
    Spider-Man 3
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Fantastic Four (2015)
    X-Men Origins - Wolverine

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So. This is very unfair of me, I know: but Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I can see from the trailer alone that not only the characters and some very fundamental plot elements gave been changed, but the whole theme itself, as if appealing to a significantly you get demographic. Perhaps the film might be different. But I have little hope.

ReputationRep:
    House of the Dead. Brilliantly fun games, boring AF film and stupidly bizarre at times.

ReputationRep:
    The Mortal Instruments, was not a big fan of a lot of the cast amongst other things. The netflix tv series Shadowhunters I don't love but is a lot better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.