Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    LOL at warwick above LSE and Imperial. What a joke.... xD

LSE and Imperial > Warwick anyday for prestige, international rep and prospects. I did a internship recently at an American firm based in London, and no one had even heard of warwick (the uni i'm at right now). But they definitely know the LSE.
    Mate, the OP is just grouping the universities and not ranking them.

Also anecdotal evidence does not mean much since I can also give you numerous examples where my relatives in Finance in the USA instantly recognised Warwick.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by darthvader150)
    Mate, the OP is just grouping the universities and not ranking them.

Also anecdotal evidence does not mean much since I can also give you numerous examples where my relatives in Finance in the USA instantly recognised Warwick.
    This ^

I think he's crapping on Warwick because of his discontent with his time there.. Not really justified imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant... We definitely needed another thread where people can degrade eachothers universities...

There is a whole world outside of Finance, Politics and Law where the employers could not care less what university you attended.

And even if you want to go into the "elite careers" where university prestige does matter its still mostly down to you since University can only get you an interview at most...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Prestige does not define your future in any way, shape, or form. The skills you develop do, and you enjoy uni the most by attending one that you'd enjoy rather than by attending one 'just for prestige'.
    Would be nice if it were true, but it's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I entirely agree with this. These points I worry about greatly, especially who I end up being friends with.

Tertiary level education, A-levels/Access courses, are really important.
    Is that a cryptic way of saying don't do a BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adlucinor)
    I am interested in this thread. As an individual with offers from Warwick, Exeter, and Bristol, for English Literature, I'd like to see whether or not anyone thinks that there really is anything between all those universities in terms of prestige? And, if there is, is prestige really that important?
    They are in the same group to me, along with Bath. Generally they tend to comprise of a lot of students that failed Oxbridge but are still very bright with offers of AAA, AAB or ABB.

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in this thread. As an individual with offers from Warwick, Exeter, and Bristol, for English Literature, I'd like to see whether or not anyone thinks that there really is anything between all those universities in terms of prestige? And, if there is, is prestige really that important?
    those are all excellent unis in general but i am not sure about for english specifically! i have insured bristol for law (and firmed durham), and i think those that you're deciding between are all well respected and almost equally prestigious so i wouldn't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    This ^

I think he's crapping on Warwick because of his discontent with his time there.. Not really justified imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, quite like it here. I just know what the reality is haha.

ReputationRep:
    Those unis are about on par with each other for prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maaash)
    They are in the same group to me, along with Bath. Generally they tend to comprise of a lot of students that failed Oxbridge but are still very bright with offers of AAA, AAB or ABB.
    this^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Sorry lol? No, it isn't ha ha, I wasn't aiming for that.

I've just been through a lot of overwhelming over thinking on if I can put it natural differences between people across social classes, and correlations I find between people at certain levels of wealth or at certain institutions... Eh, it's ugly stuff and I don't really need to share my views here.
    Haha. Tbh I think my college course is one of the only ones in the building that isn't full of chavs(I'm doing Access to Computing). Can't wait to get out of the place.

ReputationRep:
    funny how you base it on general 'league tables'. Its COMPLETELY course dependent.

E.g Bath has better Business department than all of those but lacks significantly in other departments.

Cardiff is 1st for Research (Business) but 25th or so as an institution entirely...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GymLad78)
    funny how you base it on general 'league tables'. Its COMPLETELY course dependent.

E.g Bath has better Business department than all of those but lacks significantly in other departments.

Cardiff is 1st for Research (Business) but 25th or so as an institution entirely...
    I agree its all course dependent, but also I think WBS and St Andrews probably have better Business Departments than Bath

ReputationRep:
    For English probably about the same level of prestige, it depends on the subject really for Maths/Economics/Business Warwick wins easily for Law etc Bristol has the upperhand and so on... but go where you will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge > LSE > ICL > Everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Oxbridge > LSE > ICL > Everything else
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INF10)
    I agree its all course dependent, but also I think WBS and St Andrews probably have better Business Departments than Bath
    Really?? Bath is 1st in the country for Business studies.

On that note it also has a very big reputation for engineering and links to Dyson and other big engineering companies. Don't bother going there for anything else though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being at a prestigious University doesn't mean you are going to be successful.
    I have mates at Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial studying maths who did not get any internships apart from some random ones and I have mates at the "Lower Tier" Unis who got offers from top tier banks/consultancies, because they were certainly good enough.

People need to focus on improving themselves, their university can only do so much for them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Foxab77)
    Not really, quite like it here. I just know what the reality is haha.
    You used one isolated example of a god knows where internship to prove your point when it's pretty widely known that Warwick kicks ass for finance placement.. Even the recruiters at banks in the US acknowledged that a lot of their top transfers to the US offices are Warwick alumni.

Look at any top tier MBA programme as well and you will see Warwick grads represented. It's patently false to say the university has no worldwide rep - if that were the case why do the most competitive courses there have a ratio of c.50%+ international students?

These generalisations on TSR are so ridiculous, it just amazes me what people come out with sometimes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MathsMaster45)
    Being at a prestigious University doesn't mean you are going to be successful.
    I have mates at Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial studying maths who did not get any internships apart from some random ones and I have mates at the "Lower Tier" Unis who got offers from top tier banks/consultancies, because they were certainly good enough.

People need to focus on improving themselves, their university can only do so much for them.
    This ^

People who blame their university for their shortcomings are woefully insecure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.